Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
Chula, Have you considered a flat open heavy duty utility trailer with a MC docking system attached to the deck. I have a 12' Utility Trailer by JP Trailers which I've carried 2 Bikes on with no problems behind a 99,34' Adventurer. I've put hold down bolt receivers in several strategic areas of the deck so I can move or remove the docking systems easily to fit my needs or load. I can also quickly remove the docking systems lower the ramp and load our 2011 Ford Fiesta. I've installed permanent mount wheel forward wheel chocks for the Fiesta. The trailer is rated for 3500# and the Fiesta alone or 2 Harleys don't exceed that including the weight of the trailer itself. I also beefed up the loading ramp, replaced the tires with 8 Ply Radials added Tire pressure sensors and also installed electric brakes and controller. Depending on our need the rig is very versitile. With one bike we also load 2 kayaks and a bicycle. The trailer toungue weights have not been exceeded and if it wasn't for the rear view camera you'd never know it was back there. Since it's only two wheels you can back it up very easily. Just an option for your consideration.
That's what I intend to do also. I now have a 15' 3 bike trailer that I use to haul my Harley on and I'm going to buy a small front wheel car and just run the front wheels up on the back of the trailer like a tow dolly with the Harley already on. The best of both worlds. Does anyone see a problem with this method?
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
That's what I intend to do also. I now have a 15' 3 bike trailer that I use to haul my Harley on and I'm going to buy a small front wheel car and just run the front wheels up on the back of the trailer like a tow dolly with the Harley already on. The best of both worlds. Does anyone see a problem with this method?
I Gotta see it Billieg. I'd concern myseft with ground clearence if you raise the front of the car. Love it when someone thinks outside the box.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

MrTransistor,
That by far, is the most bizarre way of carrying motorcycles I've ever seen. Did you think that system up or is it sold commercially? May I ask, what stabilizes the bikes "side to side"? Is it just a "clamping" effect on the bottom of the wheels? It looks to be all aluminum. If so, some thick aluminum at that. I like building things but, wow, that would take some doing. Have you had any issues with it since it's been in service?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

MR TRANSISTOR,
i like the way you engineered and executed your plan to carry your motorcycles.
imho you did a very sanitary job.
does oil from your slobber tube get on your bikes? how do you deal with that?
can you still tow a toad?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
I Gotta see it Billieg. I'd concern myseft with ground clearence if you raise the front of the car. Love it when someone thinks outside the box.
I'm going to get a jeep or maybe a small "smart" car and the trailer back only sits about 6 inches above the road so clearance shouldn't be a problem. My only concern is the pads. Do they have to swivel?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Billieg,
If I could find it, I'll post a pic of a Smart Car "ON" a motorcycle trailer. It fit flawless on it. From what you're describing, it sounds as if you'd be using your 15' trailer as a 15' tow dolly. Am I picturing this as your intent? If so, why not just get a tow dolly that is built for an M/C and a car? They're much shorter and already designed for your purpose. Just a thought here. I'd have to find the link but, it was suggested to me as a plan before I installed my lift. The M/C fits side ways in the front end and the car rolls up as normal on the pads.

Quote:
I'm going to get a jeep or maybe a small "smart" car and the trailer back only sits about 6 inches above the road so clearance shouldn't be a problem. My only concern is the pads. Do they have to swivel?
Well Sir,
In my opinion, as you turn your coach from left to right and vice versa, your trailer reacts in the opposite swing, like a dogs tail. If, you were to install pads on the rear of the trailer to put the front wheels or, back wheels on, and they didn't swivel, I'd think there would be some stress on the entire setup, car wheels and tires, trailer parts etc because there's no way for the strain of each counter movement to be relieved, as I see it. I could be wrong but, I'm just picturing the "action" here. Plus, I'm not sure just how strong the frame of your trailer is but, that's quite a bit of weight to add just to the rear, behind the spring perches.

But, it would be interesting to see.
Scott
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Billieg,
If I could find it, I'll post a pic of a Smart Car "ON" a motorcycle trailer. It fit flawless on it. From what you're describing, it sounds as if you'd be using your 15' trailer as a 15' tow dolly. Am I picturing this as your intent? If so, why not just get a tow dolly that is built for an M/C and a car? They're much shorter and already designed for your purpose. Just a thought here. I'd have to find the link but, it was suggested to me as a plan before I installed my lift. The M/C fits side ways in the front end and the car rolls up as normal on the pads.

Well Sir,
In my opinion, as you turn your coach from left to right and vice versa, your trailer reacts in the opposite swing, like a dogs tail. If, you were to install pads on the rear of the trailer to put the front wheels or, back wheels on, and they didn't swivel, I'd think there would be some stress on the entire setup, car wheels and tires, trailer parts etc because there's no way for the strain of each counter movement to be relieved, as I see it. I could be wrong but, I'm just picturing the "action" here. Plus, I'm not sure just how strong the frame of your trailer is but, that's quite a bit of weight to add just to the rear, behind the spring perches.

But, it would be interesting to see.
Scott
I have never seen a tow dolly for both a bike and car. That would be my overall plan. If anyone has a link I'd like to see it. You are right about the pads. The car needs to move with the unit. My trailer has a 3500# axle with 15 inch tires. I would need to brace the slide out tail gate and the rear of the trailer but I think it would work. I would also put on heavy duty tires. Maybe put the smart car on the front of the trailer and the bike sideways on the rear? There has got to be a way to do this.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have never seen a tow dolly for both a bike and car. That would be my overall plan. If anyone has a link I'd like to see it. You are right about the pads. The car needs to move with the unit. My trailer has a 3500# axle with 15 inch tires. I would need to brace the slide out tail gate and the rear of the trailer but I think it would work. I would also put on heavy duty tires. Maybe put the smart car on the front of the trailer and the bike sideways on the rear? There has got to be a way to do this.
Billieg,
Here ya go partner: Motorcycle/Car Tow Dollies For Sale : Tandem Tow

And yes Sir, your frame would have to be beefed up for the "bow" effect of the bike on the front and even some car weight on the rear. Not just stronger tires but a possible "truss" effect along the side rails. Yep, it's work. But, where there's a will, there's a way. I too have been doing things like that for ever.
Scott
Old 08-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #29

Thanks for the link. Basically it's a tow dolly with a flat platform on the front. Maybe I'll just buy a tow dolly and add 4' to the front to hold the bike sideways. I can build a ramp that slides in under the platform so it will be out of the way. I will also add holes in the extension so I can move the wheels back or forward to set the hitch weight. Piece of cake.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #30

When I hear of fellow RVERS mounting a carrier on the back of The coach. I am awed;; All I can say is Please Get a warrenty statement from the manufacture, That the Frame is warrentied when carring that extra weight;;; I once owned a VW pickup, Without douth the best in it's class; However, A friend of mine had 12 new railroad tyes He was disposing of. Well being a stupid idiot at the time I said I'll load them in the VW; No need to go any Further with the story; The VW was junked. I feel I'm much smarter;. Oh WE carried a HD/Honda S/ Kaw on our Prior MH. Never again..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
here is an affordable tow dolly for a motorcycle and a car.

Landgrebe Manufacturing: Specifications TD 40 101 with Motorcycle Carrier
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
here is an affordable tow dolly for a motorcycle and a car.

Landgrebe Manufacturing: Specifications TD 40 101 with Motorcycle Carrier
Thanks for that link! The problem is you have is you have to pick it up in IN. or have it shipped to FL. which would bring the cost to well over $4,000. Also, the bike holder is 80" long and my Harley is 96". I did save some good pics though to help me build one.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

i see where "Mighty Hauler" was mentioned, has anyone used this lift. I have looked at the Hydra Lift as it was being installed by a local dealer, that is well made for sure and I can see why they sell it for the price. the Mighty hauler is just about half the price. just trying to find out any experiences with it.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
i see where "Mighty Hauler" was mentioned, has anyone used this lift. I have looked at the Hydra Lift as it was being installed by a local dealer, that is well made for sure and I can see why they sell it for the price. the Mighty hauler is just about half the price. just trying to find out any experiences with it.
Majfrizz,

As stated way earlier in this thread, I'm the one that installed the Hydralift. So far, in its use and the time frame we've had it, I can't say enough good about it. It's a flawless system. And yes, it's a bit pricey. But, it, in my opinion, is one of the strongest, lightest and most effecient lifts on the market. The "Mighty Hauler" you're talking about, although is a "lift", it only utilizes the single hitch/receiver in the back of the coach. That to me, is way unstable and subject to lots of movement.

It all depends on just what you intend on hauling back there. If it's maybe a 250-400 cc bike, I'd say that's pretty much OK but, anything larger, especially if it climbs up into the larger cruiser or touring machine like a large Harley or a Wing, I wouldn't even think about it. My lift is attached to the frame on each side of the coach and it phenomenally stable. The lift itself weighs around 278, plus or minus. The Blue Ox unit starts out, at 800 lbs, and that's with no bike!
I was cruising around on ebay and found this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mighty-Haule...sories&vxp=mtr

Scott
Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Majfrizz,

As stated way earlier in this thread, I'm the one that installed the Hydralift. So far, in its use and the time frame we've had it, I can't say enough good about it. It's a flawless system. And yes, it's a bit pricey. But, it, in my opinion, is one of the strongest, lightest and most effecient lifts on the market. The "Mighty Hauler" you're talking about, although is a "lift", it only utilizes the single hitch/receiver in the back of the coach. That to me, is way unstable and subject to lots of movement.

It all depends on just what you intend on hauling back there. If it's maybe a 250-400 cc bike, I'd say that's pretty much OK but, anything larger, especially if it climbs up into the larger cruiser or touring machine like a large Harley or a Wing, I wouldn't even think about it. My lift is attached to the frame on each side of the coach and it phenomenally stable. The lift itself weighs around 278, plus or minus. The Blue Ox unit starts out, at 800 lbs, and that's with no bike!
I was cruising around on ebay and found this.
Mighty Hauler Diesel Pusher Motorcycle Carrier 1000lbs | eBay

Scott
This is the link to the Blue OX site:

Blue Ox - Sport Lift III

As you can see the SHIPPING weight of their lift is 220 pounds. It is nowhere near 800 pounds. Exaggerating on details like this calls into question the rest of your statement.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Well Soooooooooooooooooory.

I was lead to believe that it weighed that much. I actually never looked it up because I personally don't like it's operation. I've looked up "Overbuilt", Mighty Hauler, and Cruiser Lift but not the Blue Ox. And, for what it's worth you can believe what you want. I'm the one that's done the work. I'm the one that did all the calculating,welding and fitment. I have looked at a Blue Ox up close and it's way to much mechanism, just like the Overbuilt units for what it's trying to accomplish.

Most of these folks wouldn't even attempt to do the install. I don't blame them. It's a ton of work. And, many say, "Don't do it" you'll crash and kill all of us. Stepping outside the box, has been a way of life for me.
Scott