Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Mosquito Sound

The other day leaving Bullhead City on Highway 68 we heard this awful MOSQUITO SOUND as we headed up a good hill. The DW said she heard it in the back but it was louder up front. A couple of cars passed us and the sound reverberated off them. Some really strange looks.

DETAILS: Traveling 60/61 MPH with cruise control on, RPM about 4200 or 4300, I believe in 3rd gear.
As soon as we topped the hill and the tranny "up-shifted" to 5th gear, the MOSQUITO went away. Next hill, same thing (he/she was back).
If I "kicked off" (tapped the brake) the cruise going up hill with the MOSQUITO sound I lost RPM and the MOSQUITO was gone. Next hill I'd set the cruise and he/she was back.

After three or four times of this it all stopped. Never to happen again for the rest of the day or the next day. After getting on I-40 East bound, I expected a couple of those hills to produce the MOSQUITO sound again. But nope!! Not a peep.
This summer we took a 6,500 mile trip without towing anything and not a peep. The MH has performed flawlessly, although, the gas mileage has decrease slightly. (8MPG down to 7 MPG without a toad) Last week we got 6.5 MPG with the toad.

I have no idea where to start looking. Because the MOSQUITO sound comes and goes at will, I can not re-produce it for my mechanic. My best guess is the tranny, most likely the clutch. But why does it come and go? It has only happened when we tow! It has never happened when I was not towing!!! And only up hill. Which is the most stress for the tranny.

The first and only time (until the other day) the MOSQUITO sound appeared was early last year towing a flat bed trailer with a 2 seater Polariz up the hill just West of Flagstaff. (2000 pounds total, the Jeep is towed 4 down and is 4220 pounds)

Any intelligent ideas would be most welcome.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I up-loaded (to YouTube) a 17 second video of the MOSQUITO sound.
https://youtu.be/WojIB4hzr7g