Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Missing Bluetooth on 2016 Vista LX

We just picked up our new 2016 Vista LX 27N yesterday, our first RV. Yes, I'll be posting something in the Newbies forum soon, but in the meantime I have a question.

I did try searching around the forums for an answer, thinking that surely someone else would have had this issue, but I didn't have any luck.

The 2016 brochure and Winnebago's website both indicate the Bluetooth is standard on the Vista LX. However, as I was trying to pair my phone to it yesterday, the option wasn't appearing on the Pioneer unit. Looking closely at the model number, it turned out to be the AVH-170DVD, which is not a Bluetooth-capable model.

I can't blame the dealer for this, because when I looked back at the window sticker that the salesman had emailed me when I asked what options were installed, it did not list Bluetooth (or Sirius XM-ready or several other technical capabilities that are listed as standard on the unit that is standard on the Vista LX). The window sticker is for a 2016 Vista LX, so it's definitely the right model (while comparison shopping, I did see some dealers advertising Vistas as Vista LXs, which I could tell usually by interior colors alone).

Has anyone else run into a 2016 Vista LX that does not have the bluetooth installed? It seems like such a stingy item for Winnebago to nickel-and-dime with, since the difference in cost for the Pioneer units online is less than $50, and probably even less at the wholesale price they probably get them for.

And yes, I realize that I should have looked at the window sticker in more detail, but I'd asked for it primarily to determine what options were installed and I really wouldn't have expected that there would be any substantial difference from the what is shown on Winnebago’s still current website list and brochure.

I have at any rate emailed the dealer and Winnebago, and hopefully Winnebago will make good on this. I realize that many RV buyers may not care about Bluetooth, but the fact that it was standard on the Vista LX is one of the reasons I chose this over a 2016 Bay Star Sport.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13230357_10206858387320606_907819583051291251_n.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	128541  
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
if the invoice or window sticker listed the Bluetooth included as a standard item then Winny or the dealer needs to make good on this. good luck.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 2015 Vista 27N I own which is now the 2016 Vista LX 27N with near zero changes other than the name change had option 70C Radio-Sat, but I believe they used the same ABH-X3600BHS AV receiver even without the Sat Radio option equipped in 2015. This option only provided the roof mount SiriusXM antenna and the behind the dash plug-in SiriusXM add-on module as part of the factory build.

On the ABH-X3600BHS if you hit the "home" button on the left side you have a "Bluetooth Audio" Icon on the home screen and can pair it with a cell phone. It has a hands free microphone that can be placed to aid in hand-free operation as you see fit. This AV receiver is OK but has a very high learning curve, not particularly user friendly. It is a very marginal DVD player for in-RV entertainment, it outputs only composite video to the main TV.

It is discontinued now. I am surprised Winnebago would not have kept Bluetooth as part of the required functionality in particular for the Vista LX line of RVs for what-ever model they changed over to. The discontinued one that is on mine is still for sale on Amazon.com for $ 320 .

I would consult with Winnebago support and see if you got what you should have installed in your dash and even if they say its what the build spec is, complain that it's going backwards from the 2015 model and see what happens. Who knows they might offer to swap it back to the one they were using in 2015 like what I have if they have some left in the warehouse.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hope you get the radio you want. I looked seriously at both the 27N and Baystar Sport and opted for the Baystar Sport 3004. I must admit the base radio on the BSS is a total loser. At some point it will have to go. At least for now, I can connect my Iphone to the radio with a cable.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The discontinued one that is on mine is still for sale on Amazon.com for $320.
And odder, some of the newer Pioneer models with the same or better capabilities cost even less. I was wondering if Winnebago had some logistics issues getting the Bluetooth-capable unit at some point during the build year and just felt that the average RV buyer might not care about Bluetooth. Since their website still indicates that Bluetooth is standard on the Vista LX, I'm assuming they probably returned to making them that way once the supply line issues cleared up and I just got unlucky.

I did email Winnebago and the dealer, as I assumed both are closed today and probably tomorrow, so we'll see what they say.

It's not that big a deal, really. I could purchase a possibly better unit from Amazon for little cost and install it myself. All the wiring for the TVs, speakers, back-up and sideview cameras, etc. is already there. The only thing I'd have problems with is installing the microphone as where and how to run it is not even close to my area of expertise.

Speaking of which, where did Winnebago install the microphone on your rig?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Hope you get the radio you want. I looked seriously at both the 27N and Baystar Sport and opted for the Baystar Sport 3004. I must admit the base radio on the BSS is a total loser. At some point it will have to go. At least for now, I can connect my Iphone to the radio with a cable.
We were looking at the Bay Star Sport model with the bunk beds, which our daughter would have *really* liked. The Vista LX does have the drop-down bunk over the cab, so she's pleased with that anyway. And the Bay Star Sport even cost less than the Vista LX. OTOH, the bunk bed model on the BSS does not have any forward-facing rear seats, so child car seat installation would be problematic, and we also like that Winnebago installs standard the tether anchor behind any such seats.

We do really like the Newmars—I don't know whether they just have a better interior designer or what, but the interiors instantly look and feel richer and more luxurious, even at the same or similar cost.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
And odder, some of the newer Pioneer models with the same or better capabilities cost even less. I was wondering if Winnebago had some logistics issues getting the Bluetooth-capable unit at some point during the build year and just felt that the average RV buyer might not care about Bluetooth. Since their website still indicates that Bluetooth is standard on the Vista LX, I'm assuming they probably returned to making them that way once the supply line issues cleared up and I just got unlucky.

I did email Winnebago and the dealer, as I assumed both are closed today and probably tomorrow, so we'll see what they say.

It's not that big a deal, really. I could purchase a possibly better unit from Amazon for little cost and install it myself. All the wiring for the TVs, speakers, back-up and sideview cameras, etc. is already there. The only thing I'd have problems with is installing the microphone as where and how to run it is not even close to my area of expertise.

Speaking of which, where did Winnebago install the microphone on your rig?

Thanks!
The Pioneer AV Receiver Bluetooth mic was not mounted anywhere by Winnebago, mic and cable were just left in the center console storage shelf along with the USB cable that can be connected to a Phone, both cables come out of the dash shelf from inside the dash - coming from the back side of the AV receiver.

It has a clip to mount on clothing lapel that can be removed leaving a flat spot that can be stuck down to something.

I mounted it on the top of the steering col. near the emergency flasher button with 3M tape. Single mic provided can only cover one seating position well, in particular due to the high background noise in the front of the RV when driving. What I did works fine for the driver but not so well for the passenger, which is why Winnebago did not mount it in one particular place.

If you upgrade, you may want to do a separate Blu-ray DVD player in the compartment above the driver's seat where there is a HDMI cable run from the main TV to plug the DVD output in.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
If you upgrade, you may want to do a separate Blu-ray DVD player in the compartment above the driver's seat where there is a HDMI cable run from the main TV to plug the DVD output in.
Hah, I was already planning to put a Blu-ray player up there.

Also, I think my passenger is perfectly fine with talking on the phone, with it up to her ear, because she's done that many times even in my Bluetooth-enabled car.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Good luck, make the dealer replace it with the correct model. It is advertised in the brochure. At least try to get them to replace it.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased a 30T Vista LX with no bluetooth (same receiver that came with yours). I wanted Sirius and Navi so I spent $350 - $400 and purchased a higher level Pioneer AVIC NEX receiver. The install was nearly plug and play. It uses the same wiring harness so the power / speakers / camera feeds were easy. Something to consider if you have a couple of hours to kill and want more capabilities than the base pioneer unit Winnebago provided.

I mounted my microphone on the gear shift stalk and it works fine below 60 mph. Above 60 I really have to speak loudly for it work.

Most of the Pioneers are coming with Apple Car Play so it can also read incoming texts, take dictation for outgoing texts, and mirror Apple Maps and Pandora onto the Pioneer screen. Neat stuff
Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We also just purchased a 2016 Vista LX. It does have Bluetooth and a DVD player but when we play a DVD, the picture shows on the tv in the living area but the sound only comes out the dash speakers. We were told that that was the way it was designed but the sound is unacceptable. Can't believe that Winnebago would "design" it that way. Do you have a similar situation?
Cgclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ours worked a bit different - it would play the movie on the dash screen (with sound coming from the dash speakers) as well as send it to the TV via ancient tech RCA cables for sub VHS quality on the TV (no sound to the TV). Above the driver's seat there is an HDMI cable that is supposed to allow you to put a DVD / Bluray player up there to connect to the TV. That would allow the sound to come from the TV as well.

I could not get ours to work from the HDMI above the driver seat so I just purchased a $45 Bluray player on Amazon and an $8 HDMI cable and connect them directly to the TV. Not the most elegant solution, but it seemed better than taking the coach back to the dealer.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgclemens View Post
We also just purchased a 2016 Vista LX. It does have Bluetooth and a DVD player but when we play a DVD, the picture shows on the tv in the living area but the sound only comes out the dash speakers. We were told that that was the way it was designed but the sound is unacceptable. Can't believe that Winnebago would "design" it that way. Do you have a similar situation?
I haven't tried playing a DVD yet; I keep forgetting to bring any along on the so far only two camping excursions since we bought the Vista LX. There's a switching device in the storage area above the passenger seat in ours. Did you try playing around with that? Also, in the settings of the DVD player are audio settings and it is not immediately obvious to me what some of the settings do (and I've installed surround sound media rooms, by myself, in both my old and new houses—in the case of the old house running the sound sound speaker wires through the drop-down ceiling in the basement where the media room was located). I'll have to pull out the owner's manual for the device to figure them out, and you may want to look at those also.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

As a followup, Winnebago sent a new head unit, presumably with Bluetooth, to the dealer. Now I just need to schedule a time to get it installed, along with the few minor other issues that we've noticed. (Does anyone else's bedroom screen keep popping out while driving? I suspect someone who walked through the Vista LX while it was on the dealer's lot probably popped it out, the salesman lazily popped it back into place, and something got damaged in the mix.)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I too own a 27n Vista LX with no Bluetooth. The bedroom screen pops out all the time. I've had a lot of little issues with mine with the biggest problem being my levelers not retracting two different times and having to be done manually. No fun!!!! The hydraulic pump malfunctioned. It was replaced under warranty. I just hope it doesn't happen again.
Debifluff is offline   Reply With Quote