Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Smile Meridian Lens Removal Solution

I finally figured it out. Using a small----about 6" spread---mini-clamp did the trick. Just make sure that the rubber pads on the clamp are in place. I had to use some pressure to push the ceiling material up but then the clamp held and the lens came off just like it was supposed to.
I hope this will help some of you who are in the same situation.
By the way, Amazon has G-4, 3 watt, 240 lumen LED's, about the size of a quarter that put out just like the halogen bulbs. And they are less than $10 each!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Let there be light!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Must be me..
There are so many lenses on the Meridian I have no idea which one you're referring to

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Must be me..
There are so many lenses on the Meridian I have no idea which one you're referring to
The ones on the ceiling in the 2012 42E
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hey Finhawk,
Thanks for the information. I have already been playing with mine. If you push really hard up with the base of your hand, they sometimes will turn but I like your solution.
Glad to hear you still love your motor home. I am getting all the bugs out of ours. It is really an awesome machine and rides like butter. What a dream machine.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I went to the Calif RV show in Pomona a few weeks ago and was surprised to see that really only Winnebago has not moved to OEM LED's.

Standing in a 350k+coach I asked the salesman why? He said "too expensive"... Anyone find that ironic?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

SCVJeff,
While LEDs are slowly becoming a daily install in many parts of many vehicles/trucks/RVs/Motorcycles and more, and, the dependability of them IS improving, and, the QUALITY of them IS improving, it seems still a large percentage of manufacturers are not willing to take a complete plunge into the LED market. I'm no marketing exec or, engineer by any stretch but, as like many of you out there in RV land, I've done my share of experimenting, some good results and some not so good.

The LEDs I've installed, the color we chose, the lumens, the cost, for the reasons we did it, are working flawlessly.

To the OP, I too was wondering what lights (Lenses) you were referring to. I too had a few that were "Stuck" when we first purchased this present coach, an Itasca Horizon 36GD w/330 CAT. I used some large, channel lock pliers with a cloth to protect the bezel from the teeth of the pliers and they came right off.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We're new 2012 Winnebago Journey 42E owners (July 2012), and are quite frustrated with all the "bugs" needing to be worked out... Love the coach if we could finally get the point of having everything work! One issue was the shower light that had quit working. We simply could not get the lense off to even check it out ourselves. It felt like we were going to crack or break the shower skylight. Hillsboro (Oregon) Camping World dealt with it on one of our many trips for more warranty work, saying it was just a lightbulb. They didn't do anything to help us be able to remove the lense ourselves, just saying it would probably be an on-going problem for us. We really are concerned that we might not be able to change some of these bulbs at some point without breaking things. Do you suppose a little silicone spray around the edges before putting the lense back on would cause it to loosen up too much during the jiggling of travel?
mrskron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskron View Post
We're new 2012 Winnebago Journey 42E owners (July 2012), and are quite frustrated with all the "bugs" needing to be worked out... Love the coach if we could finally get the point of having everything work! One issue was the shower light that had quit working. We simply could not get the lense off to even check it out ourselves. It felt like we were going to crack or break the shower skylight. Hillsboro (Oregon) Camping World dealt with it on one of our many trips for more warranty work, saying it was just a lightbulb. They didn't do anything to help us be able to remove the lense ourselves, just saying it would probably be an on-going problem for us. We really are concerned that we might not be able to change some of these bulbs at some point without breaking things. Do you suppose a little silicone spray around the edges before putting the lense back on would cause it to loosen up too much during the jiggling of travel?
mrskron,
Well, it's kind of hard for me to imagine that a shower light lens would be that hard to take off but, apparently it was/is. Ours, in our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD w/330 CAT is a rectangular light with a fairly flimsy lens cover that you simply squeeze to remove it from the housing. I put a cool white, 45 SMD/LED tower bulb in there and man, is it bright and nice. That shower light lights up the whole bathroom area.

Anyway, I don't know what exactly you could use to make the lens removal process any easier. Silicone may work. But, just as a precaution, if you're going to try it, I'd maybe spray it on a paper towel or a cloth of some sort and wipe it on the edge(s). Silicone sometimes has funny effects on certain surfaces. I'm sure you'd not like to stain or, put some sort of discoloration on any of the surrounding surfaces.

I don't know if it would stain or not, or even work for that matter but, it's certainly worth a try.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal