Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Having recently taken delivery on 2007 Meridian, I have been looking at all systems, etc. Found that when the bedroom slide is completely retracted I cannot lift the bed platform to access the engine. The platform hangs up on a drawer pull. Is this a problem with all Meridians having this floorplan? Or is it related to our having the SleepNumber bed?

Previous Voyage had Kwikee slides and instructions were very explicit that you should not reverse directions when the slides were partially extended or retracted. The direction should be maintained until the slide was completely extended or retracted before reversing. Is this a problem with the HWH slides? If not, then I guess that, if I needed to have engine work done requiring access through the bedroom, I would need to partially extend the bedroom slide to allow engine access. Correct?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Having recently taken delivery on 2007 Meridian, I have been looking at all systems, etc. Found that when the bedroom slide is completely retracted I cannot lift the bed platform to access the engine. The platform hangs up on a drawer pull. Is this a problem with all Meridians having this floorplan? Or is it related to our having the SleepNumber bed?

Previous Voyage had Kwikee slides and instructions were very explicit that you should not reverse directions when the slides were partially extended or retracted. The direction should be maintained until the slide was completely extended or retracted before reversing. Is this a problem with the HWH slides? If not, then I guess that, if I needed to have engine work done requiring access through the bedroom, I would need to partially extend the bedroom slide to allow engine access. Correct?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Correct on partially out. I've never had a reason to access my engine from under the bed. Everything I'm capable of fixing or checking is accessible from the rear.

Make sure the street side night stand drawers are completely in before sucking in the bedroom slide. I caught myself just in time.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

HWH "recommends" you do not partially extend or retract the slide as it can result in air in the system and the slide "creeping" out or in on it's own. The cure is said to be to fully extend and then full retract the slide holding the button down a 2-3 seconds after the slide stops moving.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Paul and (Doug & Cassi),
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I am a DP newbie and am still on the early learning curve. While I am not predicting that I will need to access the engine from inside the coach, I am trying to understand what might be required when having someone like Freightliner do any type of service/repair. I would hope that the service facility will have enough space to allow full extension of the B/R slide but just trying to understand if my situation is unique or the norm. Being a brand new unit I will not need any service/repairs for a long time
(I hope)...
Old 01-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I believe I can raise the bed platform on my 36G with the wardrobe slide in but can't say that I remember trying.

When I took mine to the local CAT service center to get the valves adjusted, I extended the slide for them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On my Vectra I need to extend both bedroom slides to raise the bed for engine access. The driver-side slide comes in right against the mattress, the passenger-side slide actually comes in over the bed.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I also have the sleep number bed but I don't think that has anything to do with it, the handles of the drawers hang up under the bed platform but ever so slightly. Like, maybe if Winnebago missed by 1/2 inch the location of the platform the handles would miss. When I had mine in for warranty work the techs at Forest City must have raised my bed without extending the slide as one of the handles was bent way down, enough so the I almost wasn't able to get the bent screws out of the handle and the front of the drawer was really indented. I would have insisted they replace everything except I didn't notice it till I was back home 720 miles away. From now on anytime I'm in for any service I'll put a big sign on the bed "do not raise until closet is completely extended". Hope this helps.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wagonmaster,
I didn't really think that the SleepNumber bed was a factor but just had to ask. Yep...I already got the T-shirt for retracting the B/R slide on my previous motorhome with a drawer ever so slightly open. I can verify that a slide can not only bend but break a drawer pull. Guess that might be why I am still sensitive about this subject.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:15 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Ibasden,

I have the Sleep Number bed too and I don't think it makes any difference in the slideout extension/retraction.

Read your books. You'll need more servicing than you think.

5,000 miles - trans filer change.
5,000 miles - rear end lube change
12-15000 - oil change depending on sump of engine.

The list goes on and on. Lots of reading. When I get the chance I'm going to make up a simple checklist that I can use as a reminder for some of the unusual things. My TripTek keeps track of the oil changes for engine and gen.

I do my own lubing and gen oil change, but won't tackle the big 'un. I don't know how I would transport 6 gallons of oil to get rid of it. Make that three gallons; I'd spill three!

All that newness and scariness of maintenance requirements being said about diesels, I love it for the sheer driving comfort and pulling power.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote