Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm contemplating purchase of a Journey or Meridan and have some questions. Your input is appreciated.
Is the TripTek option worth it? It seems expensive to me. Is the engine/transmission data also on the Freightliner display?

Is the optional bedroom ceiling fan a good idea?

What's the advantage of the 2000 watt inverter/charger?

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm contemplating purchase of a Journey or Meridan and have some questions. Your input is appreciated.
Is the TripTek option worth it? It seems expensive to me. Is the engine/transmission data also on the Freightliner display?

Is the optional bedroom ceiling fan a good idea?

What's the advantage of the 2000 watt inverter/charger?

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Rich: I enjoy the benefits of the ceiling fan, good circulation on hotter evenings.

The Freigthliner Display provides good engine info but not as much as some gadget guys will respond. If you do a search on the Freightliner Display you will get good info along with how to replace the stock one with one you can read, John Canfield wrote an interesting thread that I followed to replace my stock unit. I do not have the Trip Tek, sometimes I wish I had ordered it.

The bigger the inverter the better. I have spent 3 days running microwave, satellite tv, etc, without generator or shore power and all systems were strong off the batteries. Good luck
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

i just picked up my 2006 Journey 36G (w/27,910 lb chassis w/cat 350) yesterday. Among the reasons we liked this coach was that it came with the ceiling fan in the bedroom area. We always use the one in our house and couldn't think about being without one in a RV.

We also liked the storage space underneath that had two slide out trays to make it easier to get at things located there, the diesel power, its very comfortable ride and quiet, while driving and the CCC, ours is 3,718 lbs.

We wanted something about 36 feet long to allow for greater mobility in parks and campgrounds, but still have good power to climb hills, take long trips through the mountains and tow a car with out load capacity being unduly restricted.

We ar eagerly awaiting our first shake down trip.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We also got the 2,000 watt inverter and the trip tek. While not having a great amount of time to use them yet, driving home it was interesting to read some of the readouts such as fuel consumption, temp., boost amount, and other things. While we did not special order this coach, it was an item that I was interested in having. I figure that more engine and transmission information is better.

The trip tracking was interesting to me and I figured it may help us avoid some problem in the future, keep in mind this is our first RV of any kind we have owned, previously we had only rented once a year.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some people may differ. I really like my Trip-Tek. I truly believe its worth having...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

In my Horizon the ceiling fan was very noisey, sounded like the bearings were dry so Bago replaced it, but the replacement is just as bad.
They are now available at camper supply stores with wireless remote on off controls which makes sense to me. Who wants to get up in the middle of the night after it has cooled off to turn off the fan. Bago should have put in 3 way control circuts with one swith by the bed.
just mho.
ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Rich - The trip-tek gives a few more items than the FL info center like turbo boost and transmission temp. I think the real bonus with the trip-tek is the ease of use. Separate resettable screens for trip, day, and leg(fill-up to fill-up). The screens are very easy to use and very readable on the b/u monitor. I find the FL display is not intuiative at all and requires memorizing a lot of operating info unless you want to be reading how to find what you want while going down the road. Not a good idea!

If you haven't found it, here's a link to the trip-tek website. Click on "Support" and you can view/download the their manual.

If you're a real techie and want to track and record a lot of operational data, then the VMspc is probably the best choice. I probably would have gone that route but I bought mine "off the lot" and it already had the Trip-tek. Couldn't justify having both and I have found the trip-tek gives me everything I NEED and very easily.

For my comments on the ceiling fan, please see this thread

The inverter allows you to have a/c power when shorepower is not available and for whatever reason you don't want to run the genny. If you search this forum, you will find many people are not too happy with the Dimension inverter that Winnie is currently using. You may want to skip that option and install a ProSine or other true sinewave inverter.

Good luck with your decisions - hope you enjoy your new RV as much as we enjoy ours!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rich - The trip-tek gives a few more items than the FL info center like turbo boost and transmission temp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The FL info center does show transmission temp, but not turbo boost. I don't have the trip-tek, but I'm happy with the FL info center. It tells me all I need to know.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:43 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I just returnted yesterday from a two week trip to Charleston, SC. The Trip-tek is very useful in my opinion. Gives instant readings for mpg, engine temps, trans temp, turbo info, etc. Also gives lots of info for the day, leg, trip, etc. I think it is well worth the money. Also, it is on my backup camera screen and is readily visible.

Doug, 05 Meridian, 350 CAT

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We love the ceiling fan, it circulates air well in the rear and saves on A/C.

I love the trip tek also, good info to track trips and keep you abreast of what is going on with the engine and trans.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote