Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Lot rot? Jammed slideout on a new 2019 Vista LX 35F we're looking at?

We're looking at a new 2019 Vista LX 35F and took it for a test drive today. It's been on the lot since May. When we looked at it last week all of the batteries were dead because the disconnect had been left on.

When we arrived at the dealer today it was outside and running and I suspect it was jump-started today for our test drive. It has 800 miles and the Check Engine light was on. When I turned the heater fan up it blew out a lot of dust. It drove OK, highway and local roads, but seemed to have a lot of play in the steering wheel, which I've read can be corrected with a steering stabilizer. It also had some sway which I've read can be corrected with after-market sway bars. OK, not a problem.

After the test drive we asked to see the slides out. The front slide went out but seemed really loud. Is that normal?

But when he tried to extend the rear slide, the back part went out about 6" - 8" and stopped. It would not go out or come back in. It turned out that the front part of the slide did NOT move at all, so it was just the rear part moving. So the slide went out asymmetrically until the back part scraped against the interior wall and jammed there.

Is asymmetric slide movement a problem on RVs? This would be our first Class A. I would have thought there would be a safety interlock mechanism that would have stopped the slide and/or reversed it if it jammed or started coming out lopsided. But it didn't; it jammed solid.

The price is very good ($100K) and it's loaded with options. It really fits our needs but I'm not sure I could have confidence in it. I get it that there will be issues and that's why there are warranties; I'm OK with that. But asymmetric slideout movement and no safety mechanism (DC current monitoring or whatever) to stop it from hitting the wall and jamming? That seems like a problem, especially if it happened on a campground...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Needless to say all those things would have to be addressed and repaired before you go any further. The slide issue could be minor- only needing a re-sync on the motors--- or could be more serious. But that operation of slides needs to be perfect before going any further. The fact the batteries were dead could have contributed to the issue as that slide motors require a good slug of voltage- always with the engine running-- to operate the slides. You never want "asymetric" extension or retractions on the slides.

The check engine light likewise could be minor or more serious. It needs to get to the Chassis dealer (Ford F53 I assume) to have the code read and addressed and repaired. Could be something easy as reflashing the ECM.

If its been on the lot since last May I'd consider offering a substantially lower price than what they are asking.

Of course this could all be minor and there is a warranty--- but I urge you not to go further until they get it all right. Driving it off the lot with bugs always means a headache for you. Ours was out of service 3 months the first 6 months we owned it with all sorts of bugs. You don't want it back at the shop awaiting repairs when you want to be using it. Once the bugs are worked out it may be OK to buy it?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

100k is a pretty good price for an LX. What is the reputation like for the dealer? Have you looked for pricing on the same unit from another dealer in the area?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
NXR
Winnebago Owner

It's a large dealer with multiple locations in a couple of states (not CW). I asked why the low price and the salesperson said they take the manufacturer's rebates and put them aside. When they need to clear old stock they use that fund to cut the prices so they're not really "out" the money most of the time. They have four for sale in two states, all at the same price. That, of course, doesn't answer the question why they can't get rid of them but I have not read anything that says it's just a bad product.

The price is so much lower than others for sale I'm probably willing to deal with the problems because they can't add up to the price differential. At least not in Year One.

I also just watched a bunch of Schwintek videos on YouTube and since my wife and I are pretty handy I'm now thinking it's not that big a deal.

I agree on everything I've read here. Since I wouldn't have any place to store it for three months they offered to keep it at the dealership at no charge. He said they do that when they sell RV's at shows because no one wants to take them home in the winter.

The good thing is I won't be retiring until Fall so I've got the time to let it sit for a while being repaired although that's obviously not optimum.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

As Americanrascal said, don't take delivery of it until they have PROVEN to you that EVERYTHING on your list has been fixed to your liking.
Is it La Mesa RV? DEFINITELY don't drive it off the lot until you've tested everything. They will tell you it's all done, hand you the keys and then go home. All a dealer wants is to hand over the keys and be done with you. Of course there are exceptions, but this seems to be the rule.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Before I placed a factory-order for our new Minnie Winnie 22m, I had a great discussion with Heidie, the sales manager back at Winnebago. I wanted to find an honest dealer of Winnebagos, and I asked her if she could make any recommendations. Heidie explained that dealerships with a Gold Star, as shown on their website, are top-flight dealerships. I purchased from such a dealership here in Washington, and I couldn't be happier.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Site Team

All of this can probably be fixed. That’s for sure. But I would not buy that coach even if everything was fixed. Seems like 3-strikes and you’re out. Stories that start out this way usually end up with sad endings.

Look harder, I bet there is more wrong.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If you like that model I would go to the other states and check them out. The batteries are a none issue as long as they are replaced, not just charged. The slide could be an issue and a check engine light on for a new rig that hasn't gone anyplace has me concerned.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

There should NOT be play in the steering, not even a little. When you move the steering wheel the front wheels should follow. If there is really play in the steering then that needs to be addressed before you ever sign papers on it.

A steering stabilizer would not correct play in the steering, it makes the MH come back to center faster (or stay on center better). If the rig is wandering due to ruts in the road or passing semis, that's not (necessarily) play in the steering.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #10
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all.

The dealer is https://www.generalrv.com/

By "play" in the steering I meant that the steering wheel has to be constantly (and I mean constantly) moved to keep the vehicle on track. I've read that this is not uncommon and many posts described it as "fatiguing" after a while, which I would agree with. "Stay on center" is a better description so perhaps a steering stabilizer would help that.

While in the back sitting on the dinette I did notice some sway on the highway and a bit of porpoising (haven't heard that term since I worked on jet autopilots a long time ago ). A tank truck and a large travel trailer passed us and the winds were high that day but I did not feel any instability or buffetting, so that's good.

Are sway bars and SumoSprings complimentary or exclusive; i.e. would you normally do both? From what I've read the SumoSprings could fix both the sway and porpoising.

We definitely would replace the batteries with AGM's; the question is whether we could get the dealer to cover some of the cost difference. The salesperson said they would test the batteries and if they were bad they would replace them. I'm thinking they may have been dead all winter so this could be a sticky point.

The Winnebago electrical diagram for the 2019 Vista LX 35F slideouts shows one large one on each side across from each other, which is not correct. It does show Power Gear and not Schwintek and the slideout track looks like a set of vertical teeth than the "swirly" ones I've seen for Schwintek's. I've attached a picture of the slide and gear track on case anyone can identify the manufacturer.

Agreed on the "Stories that start out this way usually end up with sad endings." comment. I've certainly read a lot of those. My plan is to go there and spend hours going through it front to rear and creating a list before we sign anything.

But some of those stories are just "What the heck were you thinking?" also. Things like "my baby was crying so I didn't know I signed an As Is contract" and my favorite "I didn't know there would be so much interest on my loan". <sigh>

I'm finding a lot of similarities between an RV and the corporate jets I used to work on: Very expensive, guzzle fuel at a rapid rate, and high maintenance costs. But heck, you only live once and you can pull an RV to the side of the road, unlike a jet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JammedSlide.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	171271  
Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Walk away. Like has been mentioned, there's too many issues before you've even signed. Try the other states.

Keep in mind that RV sales are down -40% across the board. You should be able to find huge discounts on last years models EVERYWHERE in the country right now. Why settle for a unit that has all those problems?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Site Team

The gear shown is the Power Gear "Slim Rack" slide out. As you thought NOT Schwintec. And there should be one of those gears top and bottom of the slide on both ends of the Slide.

Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slimrack.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	171273  
Old 03-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Dealers with a star next to their name were awarded the Winnebago Industries Circle of Excellence. Only these three GENERAL RV CENTERs had a Gold Star. Would one of these three dealerships be your dealership?

GENERAL RV CENTER
24583 NORTH RIVER ROAD
MT CLEMENS, MI 48043

GENERAL RV CENTER
25000 ASSEMBLY PARK DR.
WIXOM, MI 48393

GENERAL RV CENTER
476 RENO DRIVE
WAYLAND, MI 49348
Old 03-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Of course not.

On the plus side, we're a member of Costco and today I learned that their Auto purchase program includes RVs and that dealer I'm working with is the local Costco dealer.

I used the Costco Auto program when I bought my last car it I saved literally thousands. In addition, you get 15% off service, parts and accessories, just not at the time of purchase. So if they won't discount what I want to add, I'll just do it post-purchase.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Hi Ray,
Yes indeed, very few dealerships earn the Gold Star. So in whatever state your General RV Center is located, you can always go to the Better Business Bureau to see their rating:
https://www.bbb.org/
Since you are going through a Costco program, that offers you an additional degree of assurance.
Your slide-our rails look to be the same as on my January 2019 manufactured Minnie Winnie, so I suspect they are the latest design. Could it be that your vehicle was cannibalized for another repair? Who knows? In the end, motorhomes are a collection of mechanical systems, and they can always be repaired.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that suggestion because I had not thought of it. B+ and accredited since 2009. 27 complaints in the past couple of years. A recent news article on their expansion said they expect to sell 2,400 RVs a year.

For several complaints the actual complaint was not available. A couple were people upset at buying an RV as-is and then finding out it had problems. One wanted their deposit back but it was applied to their down payment. Some probably were legit but every business has problems on occasion. With the hundreds of RVs on site I'm not surprised by 27 complaints in 10 years.

I do take the BBB ratings with a grain of salt just like I do with the AAA. A search of "general rv" lawsuit turned up some interesting reading but that's about it.

Unfortunately the closest NRVIA inspector is over 200 miles away so I'm searching for a closer one. If they won't allow a pre-signing inspection I'll have my answer.

I did talk to their Costco person today and let him know who I was working with. He said I could continue to work with him, which is good. He's been quite patient with newbie me.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #17
Site Team

Hi Ray,
That all sounds great to me. I have seen dealerships which have an "F" rating on the Better Business Bureau, and they had to work hard to earn it! A "B+" rating is fine. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with your final inspection and purchase. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Asked them if the RV was ever rented? And if it went to Burning Man? If it has, you should pass on it.
Soul Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Your name is Ray not Ren’ee
But i’d walk away 😀
Will travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Vista 27PE

"You don't want it back at the shop awaiting repairs when you want to be using it. Once the bugs are worked out it may be OK to buy it?"

From my first experience with a new Class A Winnebago Vista, it took 4 months to fix the problems on a brand new Coach. By the end of the first year every screw in the coach had come loose and the 39" TV had fallen off the wall. I learned a lot of things I would have done different before I drove away from a big time dealer to go camping. Sometimes you just need to walk away unless the dealer can fix all your problems and give you a better deal. I wish you luck in your decision.

Tags
slide, slideout