Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lost a rear hub cover :(

Got back from our wknd trip to the desert today and right away saw the right rear wheel hub cover / center cap was missing, exited stage right at some point and not marking or damaging anything as it left fortunately.

Looking for a replacement, where should one look to find one online? 05 Evolution chassis with AccuRide 22.5s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB279B63-6B9F-41D5-BE6D-92509F68683A.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	171278   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B448AB8-432B-41B6-AB99-F8F1C07C84D7.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	171279  

ElCaminomanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had the same thing happen last summer. No problem in using it that way until a replacement is found. Be aware that you will need the bracket, nut, and cover.

It looks like the bracket broke somewhere near the nut. Also, the right side is a reverse nut so make sure you get the right one.

I used my repair center to order for me. You can call Freightliner and get all the parts, and/or part numbers, from them.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I had the same thing happen last summer. No problem in using it that way until a replacement is found. Be aware that you will need the bracket, nut, and cover.

It looks like the bracket broke somewhere near the nut. Also, the right side is a reverse nut so make sure you get the right one.

I used my repair center to order for me. You can call Freightliner and get all the parts, and/or part numbers, from them.
I totally forgot that San Diego Freightliner is only a few miles from my work so I stopped in on my lunch break. I won’t take the moho there for any work but I’ll get parts from them. After discussing with the parts guy and showing him the picture he thinks the cast ‘nut’ may have broken and fallen off since the threaded stud is still in the hub bracket and that stud is normally part of the ‘nut’.

$125 for the new cover, nut and tax. Ouch. Oh well.
ElCaminomanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, mine brok at the weld where the bracket is attached to two nuts of the axle cap on each side.

Could have been from vibration. Those nuts need to be checked from time to time, like checking the air in the tires. If you can turn them by hand they are to tight.

I use a big set of plumbers pliers and a rag but they make a specail polypropylene nut wrench just for that purpose. Ask Freightliner.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hub and hubcap covers

I always put a little blue loctite on mine so the nuts cant vibrate loose. It’s when they vibrate lose that things start breaking. The blue loctite is easy to remove if you ever need to take them off.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, mine brok at the weld where the bracket is attached to two nuts of the axle cap on each side.

Could have been from vibration. Those nuts need to be checked from time to time, like checking the air in the tires. If you can turn them by hand they are to tight.

I use a big set of plumbers pliers and a rag but they make a specail polypropylene nut wrench just for that purpose. Ask Freightliner.

I want to correct the part about turn by hand. If you can turn the nut by hand it is NOT tight enough. Get something to fit the nut and tighten it. On the passenger side it is REVERS of tighty right loosy lefty. Left is tigh, right is loose.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I want to correct the part about turn by hand. If you can turn the nut by hand it is NOT tight enough. Get something to fit the nut and tighten it. On the passenger side it is REVERS of tighty right loosy lefty. Left is tigh, right is loose.

Oops! Oops, many oops!

Please check your user manual for exact information. Below is for my Winnebago.

Driver Side (left hand thread)
• To Remove turn clockwise.
• To Install turn counter-clockwise.

Passenger Side (right hand thread)
• To Remove turn counter-clockwise.
• To Install turn clockwise.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

correct, left side is lefty tighty, rightly loosey. I'm going to get a replacement nut for the left side after losing the right side as the stud seems kind of loose. I did put a dab of loctite on the new one.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

John, are you sure it is not able to tighten up? If it tightens by hand then it should be good to go and adding some BLUE to it will help. If it can't tighten then it may be stripped.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
John, are you sure it is not able to tighten up? If it tightens by hand then it should be good to go and adding some BLUE to it will help. If it can't tighten then it may be stripped.
I tried but the stud does not turn in the logo cap but it wobbles a bit so I'm just going to get a new one. The cap/nut is a lot cheaper than having to buy another hub cover.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

According to the manufacturer of the hub cap, the jamb nuts should be tightened to NO MORE (their emphasis) then 40 ft-lbs. Got the information sheet from the Winnebago factory service center after a lot of cajoling. I wanted to know about the torque since I'd lost a jamb nut somewhere on the freeway. The factory service guys didn't really know, they just tightened them until it felt right? WTH? They couldn't tell me the torque, the shop manager took 5 days to come up with it for me.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

New RV's come with a plastic nut wrench just for that size nut. You can order them on-line. I tighten mine just a little over hand tight.