Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking at a Winnebago Sunova

I am talking to Lichtsin RV in Iowa about a 2013 and a 2016 35G Sunova. I am looking for people that own one and let me know what you think of it. I need to sell my 2005 Jouney.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi.

I have a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C. The Sightseer is the Winnebago version of tha Itasca Sunova.

I have had a year of problems with our new coach.

Here are some of the more note worthy problems.

Shower drain pipe broke flooding bathroom and water heater located under shower. Dealer tried three different fixes before they returned the RV.

A defective ice tray filter installed flooding the other side of the coach and bins. Winnebago at Forest City replaced filter assembly.

P0300 engine light issue. Now fixed by software update.

Brake light issue. Also fixed by software update.

Shade assembly fell off the wall. Winnebago at Forest City made brackets that connect to the cabinets as screws in the wall would not hold.

TV signal fuzzy when using satellite receiver box. My dealer replaced switch box. Winnebago at Forest City fixed it by installing a third switch box.

Rear Power Gear slide failed. Winnebago at Forest City said that the rearmost motor backed out of the pocket. They also found and replaced a wire bundle that was damaged in the manufacturing process.

Large kitchen Power Gear slide had the rubber wiper coming loose. My dealer said that the motor housings on both ends of the slide were cracked. The slide mechanisms were replaced.

About a week out of warranty the radio/ rear view video failed. Dealer was able to replace without cost to me.

Rear differential seal had a leak. Replaced by my dealer.

While at Forest City Winnebago did a courtesy sealant check and ordered a reseal of my roof. They resealed my roof and removed and replaced the outer shower skylight.

Entry door sometimes is difficult to open after leveling the coach. Once I leveled while outside and with door closed. The leveling system failed to level the coach and wanted me to press enter to acknowledge the message. Luckily I left the drivers window unlocked and I was able to access the level control through the window. Winnebago at Forest City adjusted the door.

Light was showing around the entry door. Winnebago at Forest City replaced the door seal.

There were other items that I was able to fix.

When we bought our new 2005 Sightseer 29R we had very few problems.

Good luck and safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Run from the 2016 Sunova as fast as you can. I have a 2017 Sunova that has been a disaster.

On our first trip:

Slide motor failed
Jacks failed
Power awning is broken
Leak in the black tank sewer valve
Surround sound radio doesn't work
Bottom of sofa fell off
Pieces of the bed fell off

The biggest problem however is the RV will not stay cool inside when it is in the sun. The A/C units are working perfectly, it is just insulated poorly. Others are having the same problem. Check out this thread

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/86-o...ay-305066.html
kwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago

Kind of a downgrade from a Journey?
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Above I posted the quality issues that I had with our 2016 Winnebago. At the GNR the new Winnebago CEO apologized for the quality of their new coaches. He said that they were aware of quality issues and that they were working to improve quality.

I do love the handling of the 2016 Ford chassis with 22.5 wheels. It's a big improvement when compared to my 2005 Ford chassis. That said I doubt the Ford chassis performance will be close to the performance of a diesel chassis.

I met one person who downsized from a diesel and within a year he traded his new gas rig for another diesel.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had a 15 WGO Adventurer...tons of issues the first year...finally got them all fixed and the MH ran and operated fine...but we wanted a few more things and ended up trading for a 09 WGO Tour...love the DP...so much nicer to drive, lots of power and very quiet...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, those owner reports are terrible. I had a friend with a Wini many years ago who hated it and said it was junk. I thought maybe Wini ceaned up thier act but it doesn't sound good.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Not everyone hates their WGO. Mine is a 2013 Sunstar and I love it. Trading up to an Adventurer in the next year.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I looked at the 2016 Sunova on Wed and it seems like a nice coach. I have heard all of your concerns and am leaning on keeping the Journey. Even if I have some fairly major repairs in the future, it is not going to add up to the 80,000 they want after my trade. I am going to drive the coach tomorrow to see the difference in power that some of you are talking about. The misses doesn't want to spend the money. I get that too. I am planning on traveling at least 10 more years, will probably need to trade newer at some point.

Tags
winnebago