Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking at a 2012 Journey 36 M Question?

I can't find the net carrying capacity listed anywhere here on the web.

I fear its lower than you might expect since they list storage in square feet not in pounds.

Anyone know what it is?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

just picked up a brochure this morning

GCWR 42350
GVWR 32350
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you're looking at one, there will be a listing of all of the weight capacities including CCC on a wall somewhere; usually in the wardrobe.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

GCWR of 42350 - 10000 towing = 32350 GVWR

What you need is the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity)

Don't forget to figure in your water and waste tanks into the number, depending upon how much you will carry on normal trips.

From other Journeys I have seen, I would expect a CCC rating of 2500 to 3500 pounds.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
just picked up a brochure this morning

GCWR 42350
GVWR 32350

The NCCC or CCC is not in the brochure as far as i could find.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
If you're looking at one, there will be a listing of all of the weight capacities including CCC on a wall somewhere; usually in the wardrobe.

Thanks... Understood, I just didn't have access to a Journey to check the posted CCC.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Journey39n;100073

From other Journeys I have seen, I would expect a CCC rating of 2500 to 3500 pounds.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Thought so. 2500 would be pretty light for a diesel chassis. I've got 4100 + in CCC on my gas chassis (Ford F53) which typically would have much less capacity than most diesel pushers. Don't get me wrong I want a DP and the 2012 Journey 36M is a beautiful DP....... I need more carrying capacity though. Maybe I'll ask the salesman to pull the actual number for me.

Thanks all,

Roll
Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I can't say for sure on your gas chassis, but manufactures over the years have calculated CCC differently. Some include hitch weight and towing to get higher numbers. In the last few years, they have gotten more consistant, and realistic.

You will be surprised to find that many gas units and smaller diesels are close to being overloaded, and even the big tag axel DP's when loaded with ceramic tile, heavy countertops, seperate washers & dryers, extra bathrooms, residential refers, etc. don't have that much 'real' cargo capacity.

With Winnebagoes of late, there is a yellow sticker on the inside of the entrance door and by the driver's seat that lists the various weights. And I have seen that they don't include water weight, but mention you need to subtract the 8.3 pounds per gallon of water carried.

My DP has about 3400 for the CCC, before water weight is subtracted.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Our 36 G with washer/dryer factory installed has a CCC of 3774, no ceramic tile floors.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

i just reconfirmed my CCC on the 2007 Journey 36SG, it is 4,995 lbs.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just a "heads up" regarding CCC information from other coaches.
The standard calculation for CCC was changed in the RV industry with the 2009 model year. Prior to that CCC included 156 lbs for each available sleeping spot / occupant. The "new" calculation of CCC does not include occupants and is now called "OCCC" for "Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity". The new OCCC appears to be much greater than typical older CCCs but be careful of this new math. Winnebago issued a "Service Tip 2009-02" entitled "New Weight Label" describing this change.
The label shows the weight of a full tank of water but it must be deducted from the OCCC number as must the number of occupants and other tankage before you can see what you actually have left for cargo.
You can download this Service Tip from the Winnebago web site under Resources - Sevice - Service Tips.
In terms of getting the OCCC for a 36M, you might call Owner Relations at Winnebago and ask them what is typical or what the range is. I am sure they would be willing to provide it as well as answer your questions.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to the Journey spec's
Winnebago Motor Homes - 2012 Journey
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Here is a link to the Journey spec's
Winnebago Motor Homes - 2012 Journey
I had found this but again, the CCC or OCCC or Net CCC is not listed. Instead they list the storage capacity in square feet.... which I believe, is a red flag to anyone who wants to know just how much additional weight any specific coach will carry.

Roll
Old 11-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
i just reconfirmed my CCC on the 2007 Journey 36SG, it is 4,995 lbs.
That is more like what I would expect and is certainly acceptable for a couple like us with lots of junk.

To bobmac.

I understand liquids and occupant weights must be subtracted, thus it is so important to have a carrying capacity in the 3500 to 4000 pound range (or more) unless you are comfortable driving a coach that is overloaded.

Roll
Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
You will be surprised to find that many gas units and smaller diesels are close to being overloaded, and even the big tag axel DP's when loaded with ceramic tile, heavy countertops, seperate washers & dryers, extra bathrooms, residential refers, etc. don't have that much 'real' cargo capacity.
Hit the nail on the head you did. I researched used DPs for two years and then my wife who had been less than convinced we needed a coach, saw a brand new 2011 37.5 foot gas unit that had a floor plan to die for (her view of course). I worried about CCC having heard the stories about Gas coaches coming off the assembly line already overloaded. I pity the folks who would buy such a coach, load it up with even more and never know how dangerous a situation they were in as they cruise the highways.

I made a fuss and got the yellow weight sticker from the manufacturer before the purchase, (was missing in the coach, another reason I was worried). They located my VIN reprinted the sticker and sent it to me direct. Turns out I have a NCCC (net carrying capacity, whatever that means) of 4,133 pounds. Even after liquids and occupants (two adults and a 25 pound dog) I have more than enough spare capacity for us and our junk. I have to admit I was surprised about the capacity of this coach.

As an example I looked at an 05 Newmar Dutch Star (39 feet) and found it had a posted CCC of 1750 pounds; not nearly enough for us. Odd I thought.

So that’s why I am so interested in the CCC. I would appear to be adequate given the responses here for late model Journeys of the 36 foot flavor. I was just a little spooked by the reference to square feet and what Winnebago might be hiding.

Roll
Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

before we bought the Jouney we looked around, i found one model that had a CCC of onloy 750. that is not much to carry with you....
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Our '10 Journey 40L has an NCCC of 5600+. Full fuel, 2/3 water and totaly loaded for a two month 9000 mile trip we had 850lb extra on the front and 1800lb for the rear.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Our '10 Journey 40L has an NCCC of 5600+. Full fuel, 2/3 water and totaly loaded for a two month 9000 mile trip we had 850lb extra on the front and 1800lb for the rear.
Had to laugh at myself when I read your post. When I loaded our Gasser this spring for the first time I packed it like we were going to live in it for a year. Like you, we also had unused capacity front and rear but unable to find the time to travel for a week or two, only took weekend trips. Got to be a pain unloading junk to get chairs or the grille out. LOL

I'm going to rethink the load out this coming spring.

Roll
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

The storage volume is pretty handy to know. The sticker in my coach has both CCC and storage volume.
When we were looking for a new coach back in 2004 we found that some of the the more expensive models had less of both because of things like basement AC that eliminated one entire storage bay from side to side and options that added weight like Corian counter tops.
I don't think they are trying to hide anything by supplying storage space numbers.
I would like to see CCC/OCCC in the brochures however.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I suspect that the reason CCC/OCCC don't show up in the brochures is that it varies for each coach based on manufacturer-supplied options (like washer/dryers, dishwashers, etc.) that can make a significant difference in the weight of the coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey