Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking at a 2001 Journey 32T

We are looking at a 2001 Journey 32T with 40000 miles. Does anyone own one of these, what do you think of them what type of fuel economy things to look for etc.

Thanks,
Paulie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Paulie G..I think fuel economy is a oxymoron with any RV.. If the floor plan seems good for you and doesn't smell like wet dogs inside then go through a comprehensive checklist to be certain this is the rig for you..A few things for starters would be to ask the seller about the history..How long did the previous owner have it. ask to see service details.. any belts been replaced..does the hydraulics work smoothly slides and steps all functioning..the water system..batteries...and very important...have the tires been replaced in the past few years...gather as much information you can then move on from there..rest assured there will be things that need attention..there is always something
that needs tweeking.. happy hunting...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you like the 32T, you had better grab it!
Those shorter DP's are a rarity these days!
I though that I had a line on one here in state, but I guess it turned out to be a scam.

For that year though, be sure to look up "53 Block" and understand how to check for it, and what the consequences are if it does have one. Also be familiar with the Bosch VP-44 injector pump and some of the issues its been known to have.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good hunting.. I have a friend with one, and we have a 34H. Both hard to find and we have people come up all the time asking about them

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Dry Creek thanks for the info about the 53 block and injector pump. My wife is a little worried about the age. If the individual has maintenance records it should be ok.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I agree Jeff these are hard to find.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie G View Post
Dry Creek thanks for the info about the 53 block and injector pump. My wife is a little worried about the age. If the individual has maintenance records it should be ok.
Well, if it was regularly serviced, they would know if the lift pump completely failed. After replacing the fuel filter the filter housing will not fill up without the lift pump running. On the other hand, a weak one that drops off supply pressure at or near WOT can cause damage too.

As for the 53 block, no amount of service can prevent a crack in a weak block casting.

But, the odds are 50/50 that you get a good Mexican-made TUPY heavy-duty block!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
Former Winnebago Owner

We had a 2002 Horizon TD (the Itasca twin to the Journey). I drove the wheels off that coach, finally traded it in on a bit larger coach. We loved the floor plan, though the deep & narrow galley along with the short galley drawers was challenging. With the Cummins ISB @ Allison 3000 tyranny it was really easy to drive. Over about 50k miles we averaged just a tad over 9 MPG. That includes a trip to Alaska and several trips from ABQ, NM to the east coast.
Be sure to check for leaks on the HWH slide system, there were many problems with the hoses.
40k miles is a bit low for that year meaning the coach has sat idle for a while. Be sure to get a thorough check done on all of the mechanicals - engine, tranny, suspension, brakes and so on. Check dates on tires and make sure batteries are good - 2 chassis & up to 3 house batteries.
Test drive it and if all is good go for it. That Journey was a mid-line DP for Winnebago at that time and was well built
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:00 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We had a 2003 Horizon 32t, Itasca same as the Journey. Absolutely loved that rig. Looked all over the country to find one, flew to Texas, and drove it home to Seattle one hot July in 2007.

It was a blast, could get it in and out of just about any campground, got 9-11 mpg depending upon the terrain and weather. Had a huge cargo weight capacity. easy to drive, we had a lot of fun with it.

It had been a bit abused in its early life, lots of winter driving on New England roads, lots of generator time. I had to do some rust removal and repainting on the underside, but by the time we traded it in for a new 2010 model, it looked better than most used rigs on the road.

Everything worked, yes a few maintenance items needed to be done (air dryer from all that winter driving), changed filters, oil, replaced alternator. And drove it, and drove it.

The model years 2001 to 2006 are very similar, ours had the 300 Cummins engine, 6 speed Allison transmission, HWH hydraulic slides and levelers. If you can find one in reasonable shape, and that size meets your needs, you won't regret getting it (at least no more than anyone regrets a big purchase at first)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

32T

Hi, we bought a 2003 32T with 48000 miles on it about 2 1/2 years ago and really love it. Ours had been well maintained, but as you know, as with any MH there will be issues to deal with.
We really love the floor plan and as has already been mentioned here, the size makes it very easy to drive and get into state parks, etc. This is the main reason we purchased this unit as our previous one was 39 ft. long and just a bit much to get around in. We are retired now and wanted to be able to stay in state parks and needed a smaller unit. I have all the repair records from the previous owner including every gas stop with mileage, usually 9-11 mpg and plenty of power for towing the dinghy.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Question for those of you with the 2003 models, did it have the 5.9L ISB with Common Rail Injection (CP3 IP)?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Question for those of you with the 2003 models, did it have the 5.9L ISB with Common Rail Injection (CP3 IP)?
Yes the 5.9L 300 HP
Old 08-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrainey View Post
Yes the 5.9L 300 HP
Thanks!
I now know the year range I'm set on finding is '03 to '06.
Being that many times the chassis is a year older than the finished product, I wanted to make sure that the model year had the better engine.

Tags
journey