Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Looking at 2002 Journey DL 36LD

We are looking at a 2002 Journey 36LD. We really like the coach but it has a few minor problems. The dash A/C is not cooling; has anyone had any experience with this? Is this an expensive repair? Also the electric awning over the door comes out crooked. The left side seems to stick. You have to push on the arm to get it even with the right side. It only moves a few inches at a time when going in. If you let it rest and push the button again it will move a few more inches. Any help would be appreciated!
rmaxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Those issues don't sound so minor to me. Is this a dealer? If not, I'd keep looking. If it is, maybe you could negotiate to have the repairs made. There are lots of well maintained motorhomes for sale out there at a reasonable price. You don't want to start off your ownership experience dealing with problems. It can really steal the joy.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 36 LD, had to replace the front A/C evaporator core, not for the faint of heart. Involved pulling off the front cap, not an easy job.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We had the same coach in the GD floor plan for 8 years and it was a great coach. The door awning would not concern me that much.... might need a new motor, some adjustment or replaced with a new one. The dash AC issue could be expensive..... could be as simple as needed Freon or more complicated issues like a failed compressor, evaporator or condenser.

If the coach is otherwise good, I would just make repair of those issues a condition of sale.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaxey View Post
We are looking at a 2002 Journey 36LD. We really like the coach but it has a few minor problems. The dash A/C is not cooling; has anyone had any experience with this? Is this an expensive repair? Also the electric awning over the door comes out crooked. The left side seems to stick. You have to push on the arm to get it even with the right side. It only moves a few inches at a time when going in. If you let it rest and push the button again it will move a few more inches. Any help would be appreciated!
I had a leak in the system. Had to add coolant (refrigerate) on a regular basis. Finely the compressor went out. The evaporator leak was repairable but the compressor had to be replaced. If I remember correctly the total was over $1,000. If your buying from a dealer I would have him repair it before buying. It could more than $1,000.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

In that same rig now, great coach. I find that if the AC is needed, I run the rear basement air (big family wanting to stay cool). The door awning is another issue. You can't "fix" those, you have to replace the entire unit (which isn't hard) but it is expensive for what you end up buying. They *(manufacture) won't sell repair parts for that, they want you to buy a new one *(out of the mouth of the sales rep).

Otherwise, if the price is right, you can't go wrong!!!!
wtresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the same unit except its in the 39 foot model.

1) before you pull the door awning apart, spray some wd40 inside the folding arms where there are pully cables slide. If this does not work remove the motor, which is really easy, took me 15 minutes and take it to a motor rebuild shop. Had mine rebuilt for $60, but this did not solve the problem as it needed lubrication in those arms.

2) Dash A/C can easily be repaired in Pheonix at a place called AAPAC AAPAK I got my Dash A/C compressor, the condenser coil and the descicant filter for under $400. Installation would be another $400.

The problems on this coach are minor.... and easy to repair.

Dennis

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39, Cat 330 2 slideouts
Luv2journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, we have a Winnebago Journey DL GD, 2002. We had problems with our dash air since day one on our unit. We took it in five or six years in a row to have it recharged and seals replaced. Working with our Dealer, we finally took it to a cummins dealer who agreed to work with us to figure out what the heck was going on. I had documented over $2,500 in repairs for this problem since purchasing the unit. The Cummins dealer put a dye in the system in October and said to bring back in the spring. Sure enough, the coolant had leaked but they could see where it had leaked by tracking the dye. It turned out that the problem was a bad crimp in a connection (manufacturing defect). Again, with the help of our dealer we went back to Winnebago and made a claim to recover some of our past expenses for this repair. It took a while, but we did recover a significant amount of that money. So, it could be a minor seal problem, like we were told over and over each year, or it could be something more substantial. Once properly repaired, it has worked well ever since. We do not have a power awning, so cannot help there.

Coincidentally, we have finally decided to sell our Journey. We have outgrown it and looking to downsize now our three kids are grown. The last trip we took was over a month long and we covered a lot of miles. We never put the main slide out once! We were 3/4 empty. Just too big for the two of us. I would be curious about what they are going for now.Ours has 53K miles, the inside is pretty much like new and has quite a few upgrades. There is some minor front end damage (stone chips and such). It has been waxed and covered annually, so the roof and sidewalls are in remarkably good condition. Both slides work and have had the hydraulics completely replaced by Winnebago at their expense due to dry rot. At the the time, the Journey was top of the line DP. It has the 330 CAT engine--and it has been maintained regularly, last check up was in August of this year, for oil change and lubes. Also, brakes were checked and given another 25K miles at least. If you don't mind sharing, please let me know what you learn about market for 2002 Journeys. It was an AWESOME coach and we have had a hard time letting it go. They don't make them quite as rich inside as they used too, i.e., the beautiful upholstered ceilings, wood trim, etc. Hope you find a good one. The great thing about buying used is the previous owner has usually gone through all the serious problems and repaired most of it by now. We have invested a lot of money keeping our coach up to date, but it's been a memory maker for our entire family for the past 12 years.
15650street is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey