Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Locked out

We are locked out of our 2005 sightseer. We think someone tried to break in. We cannot get the locks to work. How do we get in any ideas.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If not in by now, other than trying the locks again. I know this sound stupid but push the door in to take pressure off the locking parts. If that does not work call a lock smith.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

When this happened to me, I took my $3 set of Harbour Freight picks and was able to slide it in between the drivers stationary window and the sliding window then turned it in order to flip the window lock which made it possible to slide the window open and then went through the window and unlocked the door from inside.
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Either your RV insurance or your road service insurance may cover the locksmith service!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

How did it turn out? Occasionally, the Trimark lock can break. That happened to us on our Rockwood trailer. Had to climb in a window and disassemble the lock.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have those little roll out windows. If our locks fail I'm in a world of muck!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have gotten locked out. My dog knew how to lock the door. I had to call Good Sam Roadside Assistance and they sent over a locksmith. No charge.`
RenGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

This will work ---- on your sliding windows, there is what I call a paddle lock --- it pivots and allows you to lock/unlock the windows from the inside and then slide the window open. Being very careful not to hit the glass, there is enough clearance to drill a small hole (about 3/16") in the metal right where the paddle is --- using that hole, take a stiff piece of wire (I have used a piece of a coat hanger which is very stiff) and you can push up the paddle to unlock the window and then slide it open as the window is on the outside and the screen is on the inside. Slide the screen back and then you can climb through the open window. Afterwards, you can plug up the hole with putty or another substance to block water from entering. Anyone who is not locked out may want to "prepare" this type of backup ahead of time in case it ever happens to you.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I always leave one window unlocked in case of just such a problem.
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our door latch requires a hard pull directled to the rear, not just outward.

Time for a hide-a-key.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I know this is no help to Class A owners, but one of the advantages of having a Class C is having 2 more doors with different keys than the coach entry door. Yes, that makes more keys to carry, but there is no worry about lockouts.

It would be easy to suggest keeping a magnetic key holder in a well hidden place, but of course that won't help if your Class A door lock breaks.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Laura View Post
Our door latch requires a hard pull directled to the rear, not just outward.

Time for a hide-a-key.

Perhaps that is reason enough for anyone with a sticking door, lock, or latch to tinker with the mechanisms, including the door strike, to address any sticking, binding, misalignments, or lack of lubrication. That just might prevent a broken or malfunctioning lock.

I know this is a bit off topic, but the screen door latch was difficult to operate when we got our Minnie Winnie. A little realignment of both the latch and the strike did the trick.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #13
Veteran RV Owner

My wife has locked herself out of the coach twice! I put a set of keys in a magnetic key box and hide it outside. Now she can’t lock herself out. “Cam” our kitty doesn’t know how to lock or unlock doors.......yet!
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have been locked out of our '05 Adventurer in the past. It turned out the latch plate would should slightly when the door was locked. Soon learned that by pushing on it and shifting it to the left the latch would release. No matter how much we tightened the mounting screws, it would shift each time it was locked.
Eventual solution: the tumblers were smashed during a break-in= new lock assembly!!
simbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Locked out of 2005 sightseer

We ended up taking out the screws to the emergency exit window in the bedroom and climbing in. Then we were able to fix the locks. That was great except now I know that is an access point, good and bad.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:49 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
I know this is no help to Class A owners, but one of the advantages of having a Class C is having 2 more doors with different keys than the coach entry door. Yes, that makes more keys to carry, but there is no worry about lockouts.

It would be easy to suggest keeping a magnetic key holder in a well hidden place, but of course that won't help if your Class A door lock breaks.

Just note that all class C rigs are not like this. Our first View, 0623H, I got locked out and then removed the wire from the coach door solenoid to prevent the timed auto lock of the cab doors. Worked. Now a new 18V24D and the same problem, auto-lock if you don't keep the door open x minutes. Now I can not remove the wire from the coach door solenoid, tied to the SAM in the new Sprinter.

I bought two spare keys (blanks) had them ground and wired them in an undisclosed location outside. I just wish sometimes they would leave well enough alone

So far our german shepherd has not locked a door. Years ago my show horse learned to unlock a horse proof stall latch. Yeah, I watched him do it. Amazing. Took him a while to move the safety to correct position, then lift and pull the shank, then he would proudly walk to each other stall and release his fellow equines - which was not a good thing.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote