Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
Veteran RV Owner

Locked Out!

So, my darling wife has managed to lock herself out of the coach twice since we bought it. I don't blame her....I blame Winnebago!

The problem is the door latch (see attached image) on our coach cannot be replaced with a keyless latch. I have looked for one and so far come up with ZIP! RVLOCK.com told me they don't carry anything to replace it.

So, I have duplicated the keys for this latch and will hide them in a magnetic key box. Which gets to the next problem.....the last time my darling wife was locked out, and before the locksmith arrived on site, a maintenance guy from the RV Resort walked up and unlocked the coach with his "pass key". Now, that makes me feel real comfortable knowing anyone with a pass key can enter my coach without my knowledge and take whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Mark Lock.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	172013  
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure I can help with the pass key but our plan was/ is to put the spare in a realtor lockbox someplace in the propane cabinet since it can’t be locked. We’re currently using magnetic key holders in the water heater compartment.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
Site Team

There are only about a half a dozen pass key combinations (the small key for the quickset). All RVs are made this way so they can be shown by the salesmen. The deadbolt key (the large key) is unique to each vehicle. So, ALWAYS lock your deadbolt when you leave.
I have a Class C, and I keep a spare Ford Door Key in my wallet. Perhaps you could do something along that line?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
There are only about a half a dozen pass key combinations (the small key for the quickset). All RVs are made this way so they can be shown by the salesmen. The deadbolt key (the large key) is unique to each vehicle. So, ALWAYS lock your deadbolt when you leave.
I have a Class C, and I keep a spare Ford Door Key in my wallet. Perhaps you could do something along that line?
I have it covered with a spare set of keys hidden in a magnetic key box. What I want to know is WHY I cannot get a keyless latch to replace the stock latch above. Apparently, there is no such animal! How many Winnebago's use this latch....probably thousands!
Old 08-02-2019, 04:55 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

How can you get locked out if you need a key to lock the door?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
How can you get locked out if you need a key to lock the door?
Only the large "squared" key is required to lock, as it operates the deadbolt latch. The other lock can be operated with the little lever on the inside, i.e. locked then shut the door.
As mentioned, many parks will have the pass keys in the office. Don't ask how I know!
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Didn't know that. Thanks.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Locked out is a problem we dealt with often as rental owners. It takes a bit to train folks who are not up on locking things but some just never seem to get the picture as they have grown up never having to think very far!
I once went to let a college girl in and as I left she came out to the front to thank me and locked herself out!
Takes a bit of training and it doesn't really "take" until that person is the one who has to do the thinking!
My wife and I both carry keys when we go out but then we also have never locked ourselves out in more than 50 years!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Old MH had lock box in propane compartment. Locked myself out twice but DW was inside. On the Winnebago previous and this one to lock the latch, going out of the MH big hands and fumble fingers will accidentally push the lock bar down locking the latch when you close the door. I learned to look at the latch before closing the door unless we were going somewhere. Never latched the dead bolt. To much damage if a thief wants in and uses a pry-bar.

The new to us MH is a 2015 Winni Tour 42Qd and has the key fob entry, plus ke can be used. I always have a spare key in my pocket. The ignition key is up near the satellite box to remember to turn it off when we leave. I also hang a red lanyard from the steering wheel and it is not removed until slides are in and JACKS AR UP.

Locks only keep honest people out.

On Edit: if my 2015 has a remote locking system I don't know why one cannot be put in a 2016 Adventurer.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Old MH had lock box in propane compartment. Locked myself out twice but DW was inside. On the Winnebago previous and this one to lock the latch, going out of the MH big hands and fumble fingers will accidentally push the lock bar down locking the latch when you close the door. I learned to look at the latch before closing the door unless we were going somewhere. Never latched the dead bolt. To much damage if a thief wants in and uses a pry-bar.

The new to us MH is a 2015 Winni Tour 42Qd and has the key fob entry, plus ke can be used. I always have a spare key in my pocket. The ignition key is up near the satellite box to remember to turn it off when we leave. I also hang a red lanyard from the steering wheel and it is not removed until slides are in and JACKS AR UP.

Locks only keep honest people out.

On Edit: if my 2015 has a remote locking system I don't know why one cannot be put in a 2016 Adventurer.
Is your coach latch just like the one above? If so, who made your keyless latch?
Old 08-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The remote control is mad by Trimark. I don't know how easy it would be for you to convert it, but they would be the people to talk to. Winnebago help line should be able to tell you if it is possible.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

What good would a keyfob do? That would be attached to a key ring which presumably had the MH key on it.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Well, depends on how you have everything. In my case I have two keys and the key fob. My TOAD is key-less so both fobs are on a slip ring hooked to my belt. One key is like a push button knife in that it folds into a case. That is my separate ignition key to keep weight off of the key-hole. The other key is on a ring in my pocket.

So consider pulling up to your RV and you have groceries, or it is raining, or you are going out and get in the car and remembered you didn't lock the MH door. On push on the fob and it is either open or closed, your choice. Also in my MH, one key opens everything so when I'm at a diesel pump I can leave the ignition key in and use the key on my key ring to open the fuel door. Also in my case my fob unlocks or locks the bay compartments. Makes it real nice to have the fob hanging from my belt.

Your original post was asking for a key-less latch. What I have said I have is a key-less latch with the ability to also use a key. I, we, never use the dead bolt and it IS a separate key. Dead bolt locked or unlocked, it only take a long wide screwdriver to pop the door open. I'll use just the latch catch with the key-less entry and hopefully have less damage if someone other than honest people try to break in.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #14
Site Team

I would recommend locking the dead bolt on any motorhome door when underway, as I believe it increases the chances of the door remaining closed during an accident, or heaven forbid somebody walking around and accidentally falling into the door and it pops open.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Well, depends on how you have everything. In my case I have two keys and the key fob. My TOAD is key-less so both fobs are on a slip ring hooked to my belt. One key is like a push button knife in that it folds into a case. That is my separate ignition key to keep weight off of the key-hole. The other key is on a ring in my pocket.

So consider pulling up to your RV and you have groceries, or it is raining, or you are going out and get in the car and remembered you didn't lock the MH door. On push on the fob and it is either open or closed, your choice. Also in my MH, one key opens everything so when I'm at a diesel pump I can leave the ignition key in and use the key on my key ring to open the fuel door. Also in my case my fob unlocks or locks the bay compartments. Makes it real nice to have the fob hanging from my belt.

Your original post was asking for a key-less latch. What I have said I have is a key-less latch with the ability to also use a key. I, we, never use the dead bolt and it IS a separate key. Dead bolt locked or unlocked, it only take a long wide screwdriver to pop the door open. I'll use just the latch catch with the key-less entry and hopefully have less damage if someone other than honest people try to break in.
Heck, my 2003 has a fob that locks/unlocks the main door and compartments doors. Handy.... I have a switch just inside the entry door that locks the compartments too...
Old 08-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #16
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Our extra keys are in the tow. It is GM so I can always call onstar if it is locked also.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

It's happened to us twice. The first time I luckily had the key in my pocket.

The second time our grand daughter hit the lock lever on the way out.

This time no key, but I had unlocked the driver side window after the first occurrence so I had her climb in to unlock the door.

Not a good design on the door latch/lock. I have considered buying their remote lock door, but not sure it's feasible.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

The lever locks tend to want to lock themselves when the door is slammed shut. What I do is take a wide rubber band, size selection is important for longevity, loop it over the door handle and then over the lock lever. Boom, never locks by itself, but can be locked when I physically push down on it. Usually do that when I leave the house and have checked that I have the keys with me. Use the deadbolt other times. Been working for 15 years now, two different RVs.

Sometimes the rubber band ages out and breaks. No biggie, Dollar Tree carries bags of rubber bands for $1.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
You turn your satellite (?) off when you leave? Please explain. Am I not doing something I should??
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I have an open faced satellite antenna called the "Traveler" and yes I turn it off so the antenna will retract. Did that clear it up?