Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Loaded Question???

Howdy, I am new here and do not wish to upend any apple carts or offend any sensitivities as it were but is it OK to ask the members here their opinion about...

1.) the Winnebago Class A's in general and

2.) the 32 YE model specifically? Vista or Sunstar (is there any difference?).

Oh, and I have determined that the "cooling package" is a must-have on this unit... the 2 A/C's, larger generator and 50 amp service... which is what I have on our MH.

A 2017 or 2018 model would be great and although I am in no fired-up hurry, we do have the RV shows in town soon. Any advice about these?

My "point of reference" is a 2006 Hurricane MH which we like but is beginning to show its age if you know what I mean.

I am particularly interested in the Winnebago roof... as compared to the TPO roof I have been carefully cleaning and treating (UV) at least once a year for a good many years now. And mind you, I am not complaining about O&M its just that as I age I am "less comfortable" doing all the roof-top work and would like to think there is a roof that requires less labor, less time, to maintain.

Anything else with Winnebago's or this model that I should be "on-the-lookout-for"?

Thank you for your time, in advance.

FishBear
FishBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Howdy,

We purchased a 2018 Sunstar 32YE at the RV show in Hershey this past September. Fully optioned, Cooling package, big fridge, drop down bunk, and outside TV. We love the floor plan and the size is quite manageable. The fiberglass roof looks much nicer than the rubber versions. I’ll still inspect and repair sealant in the spring and fall though. I called Winnebago to ask the difference between the Vista & Sunstar and was told essentially no difference, go figure. One thing I do love about this brand is all the CAD drawings available on the web site for electrical, plumbing, etc. Very nice indeed.

We’ve been RVing for decades but this is our first motorhome, it is new unit #8 for us. Traded in a 2015 38’ toy hauler that was the biggest PITA of our lives. This is the first new RV that did not need any service at all in the first months of ownership and is still A-OK. Everything is working as it should. The V10 with the six speed is adequate. We tow a 2014 Equinox and was just touching 8mpg average, we don’t usually drive over 65. So far I see no need to mess with tuners etc.. Had to make a drain trough out of 3” PVC for the first oil change, but other than that an easy job. Handling in the wind could be better, been too cold to mess with it which is why the rear track bar is still on the project list.

Installed a blue ray player in the overhead media cabinet and learned all the TVs are pre-wired for DVD and Sat with two HDMI cables ready to go. There is a bank of HDMI splitters in the wall behind the shower so the feed can be selected at each TV.

My project list so far is a rear track bar, a 12vdc timer to control the “gas only” water heater, an outside shower spigot in the wet bay, and possibly more cold weather prep depending how things go when we leave this Saturday to flee the cold weather, it was -4 here last night so it’s winterized for now. We had some nights last month that were in the low 30s with no trouble staying warm so it may be ok on that too..??.. The basement is heated, I just don’t want any frozen pipe damage finding out how low it can take.

We are very happy with it so far and hopefully this trend will continue.

Happy Camping,
Bill
Old 01-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Very helpful, thank you!

We really enjoy our MH and look forward to ugrading but depending on who you talk to, Winnebago is a pretty darn good make or one with fair number of lemons.

The Hurricane we own has its fair share of issues but when you learn what they are, how to fix/deal-with them you just move on down the road.

We too like the 32 YE floorplan as it is similar to what we have but with some improvements, We don't want to be full timers so a big long MH is not required, just something big enough... and manageable enough as you say.

What are your thoughts about buying from one dealer but then getting service/warranty work provided by the dealer closest to your location?

I realize the ideal situation would be for the "local" dealer to sell you the MH and provide all your service but in my case they are not a volume dealer and can't come down to what other offer.

Thanks again for your input, really helpful

FishBear
Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I’ve not needed any service yet, however, I don’t plan to take it to the purchasing dealer for service since they are in Syracuse NY and I’m in Lancaster County PA. I swore I’d never give Camping World another dime of my money, but when they beat every deal we got on the east coast by $20K, I gave them my dime again. I have no intentions of letting CW touch this coach though. There are a couple local Winnie dealers that I’m hoping to go to if needed. Again, I have no idea how that will go if it does happen, time will tell. Thankfully I can handle just about anything minor that comes my way, I’d only go warranty if major parts or extensive labor/equipment is required. Fingers crossed, so far, so good…
Old 01-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Roof Concern

My 2003 Winnebago Sightseer with 165000 miles has a fiberglas roof. I may have cleaned it with soap and water a half dozen times. Last year I re-caulked the roof to side wall rail interface joint on both sides. I also mounted a 100 watt solar panel on the roof in 2003. The roof is literally indestructible. I would never buy an RV with a rubber roof. In addition the roof has a gentle bow which avoids standing puddles and adds rigidity. A fiberglass roof will never get bubbles or deform from internal or external air pressures. In addition, mine had a 10 year Manufacturer warranty.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My Winnie is a 2015 Vista 27N same as what is now Vista LX. Bought new in November 2016 and have over 12K miles. We downsized from a 2004 Holiday Rambler 40" DP.. Love the Winnie, absolutely no problems. Have 5star tuning, steering stabilizer and sumo springs front and rear. Very impressed with the V-10 compared to the Cummins, outstanding performance. Get 6.5 to 7.5 mpg at 65 mph with either 2003 Wrangler or 2013 Ford Edge toad, both equipped with Invisibrake. Once installed you never have to fool with the Invisibrake. You don't have to fool with the Wrangler, just tow it. The Ford you have to run for 5 minutes before you tow and every 500 miles thereafter. Not a big deal but more hassle than the Jeep, so is its tow bar. Just use A-frame on the Jeep, cheap and easy.

I sold RV's for several years and Winnies always had good reputation. You will hear a lot of whining on the blogs, particularly facebook by a lot of folks that probably aren't really suited for RV ownership but when you take into account the total number of RV's Winnebago sells it is a relatively small number. They certainly aren't the cheap stuff put out by some larger manufacturers and its easy to see when you have been around a lot of RV's.
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Loaded question

We have owned five class A motorhomes over the years. Only one of them was not a Winnebago, a decision I greatly regretted.
We would never buy any other brand again, although I am sure there are other well built coaches available. But we are not taking any chances. Winnebago has been and stayed in business longer than anybody else and really knows how to build an excellent product. By the way, our son also owns a Winnebago class A and is very satisfied.
elcriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Would I buy another Winne ... abosolutely!

The 32YE is a great floor plan with loads of storage.

Our first was bought new in 1993...a Brave 27RQ (rear walk-around queen) with 454 Chevy TPI. We owned it 23 years before purchasing a new rig (below) and drove it 60K miles throughout US and Canada. In that time, while I did several DIY mods like track bar and Henderson steering mods, only other problem...my fault...was not learning to change the gasoline filter every two years. system clogged and that was an expensive experience. Beyond that, redo on brakes, water pump and hoses and belts plus batteries were the only significant repairs ever needed.

We considered updated to a newer/longer coach over the years but frankly could not find a floor plan we really liked. While we do not have children or travel with other passengers, we have had pets through the years. In 2015, I finally found a floor plan that would accommodate our needs for more space, better storage and more comfort without breaking the bank.

The replacement was a 2008 Sightseer 29R with but 18K miles. In two years, we've added another 20K miles and traveled to Canada (as far east as Ontario) and Alaska, just recently. Several mods made to suspension including SumoSprings (Maxim) front and rear, larger sway bars front and rear, Koni FSD's and track bar. Coach handles fabulously over all types of roads, even the Alcan heading toward Destruction Bay! I would not consider traveling on BC, Yukon and Alaskan roads without these suspension mods...they will take the beating without hesitation and turn a white knuckle drive into a very comfortable and manageable experience. Have also made other DIY improvements, including full Banks and 5-Star Tuner, and 480W solar with 2K PSW inverter from GoPower. Mechanicals on the V-10 are well-suited to this size RV and we get a little on the north side of 8MPG towing a 2010 Honda CR-V.

Would I purchase another Winnebago? Absolutely. I'm not a fan of many of the newest materials for upholstery (look cheap to my eye), but you can't beat the construction for the dollar.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our 2007 Voyage 35L Workhorse Chassis has been good. The living room slide has been a problem (parts were easy to find though) other than that it has been a solid coach.
We spent four months living in and traveling 10,000 miles across this great country last summer and the Voyage was rock solid even during the worst weather imaginable.
Choosing Winnebago based on their long history, availability of parts, and quality construction is in my opinion a solid choice. You really don't want to buy an expensive RV and then hear the company has filed for bankruptcy, with Winnebago this is highly unlikely.
Having a chassis choice would be nice but currently Ford is it with the gas chassis.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Quality

We own a 2012 Itasca Meridian 40U (same as a Winnebago Journey) that we bought new in February 2013, (good time for a great price in Ohio). We really like the floor plan and coach features, and have traveled in 47 of the lower 48. We just wish the quality were better. We have had problems with it each season (May - October). Some of our frustration is the reliability of components such as the Coleman AC units. The door on our coach is slightly warped and has to be "slammed" when on the road to minimize air noise. We complained when we bought it, but were told it was within "specs." During the build, the electronic throttle wire was allowed to rub against the chassis resulting in failure, which required a tow truck to Freightliner. This year a slide out awning came loose (we retract our slides when high winds are forecast), and the house/tank fill valve failed for the second time, etc, etc. We know that owning a motor home means repairs (this is our fourth one), but we would like fewer of them.

When we visited the Winnebago factory in 2015, our tour guide let it slip that the company was finding it difficult to employ enough qualified technicians in rural Iowa, and as a result they had had problems with build quality. This may be why they moved their motor home construction to Oregon.
roblaura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have aWinnebago Vista and love it I have the bunkhouse 32
Pateresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Have a 2015 37f Adventurer that has had too many issues to outline here. Have spent over a week at the factory and numerous repair shops, and the number of people with issues , and the high percentage of repeat issues is unbelievable. Stand in line at factory service at 8 am and the line goes out deep into the parking lot. Think if you get a good one, your golden, but have had many conversations with Winnie owners, especially late model ones, that have a multitude of issues from slides to water heaters. Their stock price is on the rise, but I fear it is at the cost of their quality standards. JMO.
Wolfyukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi FishBear
I have a 2004 33Ft Brave Winnebago with a workhorse engine that I purchased new. I am very happy with it. My roof has lasted 13years before I needed to have some work done. The roof started to bubble and came apart on the side edge. I had to have someone re-glue the roof and seams resealed and it is working fine. The front windows started to leek and I had to have them resealed. All in All my motor home has performed well for the last 13years.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar "need to slam" door issue. Not sure if it was warped as you say yours is, but on mine it required a very slight repositioning the door hinges to align with the stricker. Since then, it closes fully without having to muscle it closed.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblaura2 View Post
When we visited the Winnebago factory in 2015, our tour guide let it slip that the company was finding it difficult to employ enough qualified technicians in rural Iowa, and as a result they had had problems with build quality. This may be why they moved their motor home construction to Oregon.
They did not move the motorhome construction anyplace. They purchased Country Coach which had gone out of business and are going to build coaches there as well. I was in the factory last Summer and it is thriving just like always. They do have a problem finding more employees however, so what they do is run five days a week and do not run a night shift.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I like the fact that the Winnebago coaches all have a complete steel coach frame around the entire coach. Unlike many coaches that are simply built of wood strips, thin lining, and external fiberglass.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your input and advice.

We opted for the Vista 32YE. We will be ordering from the factory, should take about 2 months. The Vista and Sunstar are almost the same thing. I also heard a rumor that the Itasca line might not be around a lot longer? Anyone else hear this?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBear View Post
Thank you for your input and advice.

We opted for the Vista 32YE. We will be ordering from the factory, should take about 2 months. The Vista and Sunstar are almost the same thing. I also heard a rumor that the Itasca line might not be around a lot longer? Anyone else hear this?
We too are interested in the 32ye. We are several years away from purchase, but will be interested in hearing how you like your MH once you start using it. My BIL has a 2017 29 ve, which they love. The 32ye floor plan was not out yet when they purchased theirs. We love the floor plan of the 32ye because it gives you more room and a king size bed.
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
We too are interested in the 32ye. We are several years away from purchase, but will be interested in hearing how you like your MH once you start using it. My BIL has a 2017 29 ve, which they love. The 32ye floor plan was not out yet when they purchased theirs. We love the floor plan of the 32ye because it gives you more room and a king size bed.

We have a sunstar 32ye that was new to us this summer, we are still learning it as it is our 1St motorhome, we upped from a 5th wheel. In general we are happy, some little things that we will need to adapt
qhilldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

So I thought I would update our story...

We decided to go with a factory order, 2019 Vista 32YE. We got everything in the way of options except the outside TV... that has zero value for us. We were not in any particular hurry and because the next model year was so close we thought, why not? It took about 3 months from time we ordered to when we drove it home. The changes from pre-2019 models to the 2019 model were not significant, mostly cosmetic as far as I can tell.

Since we took delivery we have taken many "short" trips with the new MH. Nothing more than 100 miles away. Cut to chase, we are happy campers. We have not (yet?) experienced any of the "issues" that I have been reading about on the various forums.

I honestly don't understand all the posts about handling, suspension, steering, etc. I am not saying the numerous reports are inconsequential, its just that I don't experience the same symptoms. It could be that our experience with the '06 Hurricane set the bar somewhat low for us and by comparison the Vista experience is so much nicer that we think its a huge leap forward. But I just can't see where spending all that $ is going to improve so greatly the "handling." I am very comfortable driving the MH on any kind of road. Maybe I need to take a 500 mile trip to feel the issues that everyone seems to be talking about?

Anyway, I am crossing my fingers and hoping we are as happy in a year from now as we are right now. That would be good. There are obvious nit-picky things regarding the fit and trim type stuff... I am sure you know what I am talking about. But I am not fooling myself that the Vista is the top of the line so some of this is expected.

Add-ons we have made include a Progressive Industries EMS. We chose to put it "after" the Transfer Switch and it has worked flawlessly so far. Also, we "cut the cord" as it were... our 50amp cable has a marine style connector on it now that allows the cable to come in from underneath, plugs into the receptacle we made just ahead of the Transfer Switch... works great. I am a firm believer in data so I have temp/humidity sensors in fridge, freezer, basement bay with tanks and of course indoor and outdoor temp/humidity.

We are in line for a TPMS in a week or two (along with prerequisite valve replacements). Also considering a spare tire rack underneath. The "big one" that we are contemplating is the "towed rig" equipment. Have a 2012 Focus that is tow-able and now all we have to do is drop about 4 grand for all the stuff needed to pull it behind the MH.

We love the floorplan, there is more storage than we can use right now and so far, everything works as it should... exception is one drawer is pretty tough to close/open but that is a winter time project. Let me know if you have any questions.