Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Level Jack Problem '07 Adventurer

Hi - I have a 2007 Adventurer (Class A) with automatic leveling. The rear two (but especially the rear right) jack does not retract all the way. A technician installed new springs on it back in April.

Is there any way to fix this myself? What could be the cause of this? And if it needs to be fixed, what exactly should be fixed. And finally is it harmful to the rig to drive it with one of the jacks only 6 inches off the ground (apart from potentially hitting the jack)?

Thanks
bkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkittle View Post
Hi - I have a 2007 Adventurer (Class A) with automatic leveling. The rear two (but especially the rear right) jack does not retract all the way. A technician installed new springs on it back in April.

Is there any way to fix this myself? What could be the cause of this? And if it needs to be fixed, what exactly should be fixed. And finally is it harmful to the rig to drive it with one of the jacks only 6 inches off the ground (apart from potentially hitting the jack)?

Thanks
Don't know how your post hasn't gotten a single response in 17 days, but I'll give it a bump in case you still have a problem.

What brand of jack system is it?
Are they electric or hydraulic?
Does it have a manual mode?
Have you wiped and lubed the jack shafts?
Have you tried to retract them with a 6' 1"X2" lever?

Finally, what could cause it is a poor ground for the hydraulic valves...assuming you have hydraulic and not electric. A bad ground would make it difficult for the valves or valve to open with the hydraulic pressure so would only partially open. Usually, though, the springs would slowly bring the rear jacks up as you drive and the vibration causes them to retract.

Finally, no, it's not harmful to drive with the jack just 6" off the ground AS LONG AS you are well aware you can catch on something and damage it. For instance...if you have one extended, you should always take driveways at an angle that lifts that jack. So you wouldn't drive into a fuel station up their driveway straight on, but angled. If it's the right rear jack that hangs down (usually the passenger side rear is slowest to retract with most jack systems on RVs) you'd want to drive the passenger side up the entrance at a 45 degree approach angle, passenger side first.

Do get it fixed though. You don't want to drive too far with a jack hanging down.

PS: If you have the HWH jack system, and the springs are external, they should be tapered the top and bottom few coils. Make sure yours have that obvious taper.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you have HWH hydraulic jacks, I suggest you private message azpete on IRV2. He's an HWH expert.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
Site Team

My much newer Adventurer has Power Gear jacks. I’m not sure what you have. Do you have a manual for the leveling system? If so, phone the manufacturer they’ll tell you what to do.

You might try extending the jacks and then using a rag to clean the shaft and then spray on some silicone lube. There are grease fittings on the housing of each jack where the shaft goes into the bearing. Surely when you had the springs replaced they greased the jacks, too. Yes?

Tags
adventurer