Old 08-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I had a similar experience with a front jack on my RV. Problem was, I was the culprit. I was sweeping our ground carpet, and remember, absentmindedly sweeping sand and grit toward the underside of the RV, just behind the front wheel. Ouch, that sand and grit coated the extended jack leg, and dug into the seal when I retracted it.

As it went up, it got hung up, I forced it by prying a bit, then when extending again, the fluid started leaking from the bottom seal. (not your problem apparently). But to fix, I found a new jack on Amazon, $175, free prime shipping.

Took my son and myself about 45 minutes to remove the old, install the new, ran it up and down several times, has been working great the last three years.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Cylinder replacement

Mine are made by Lippert and are double action, hydraulic return. Yours are made by HWH and are single action, spring return. So, yours may be rebuildable. If not, hopefully they won't be so expensive.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrattain View Post
Mine are made by Lippert and are double action, hydraulic return. Yours are made by HWH and are single action, spring return. So, yours may be rebuildable. If not, hopefully they won't be so expensive.
During really cold weather (say, below 30 degrees), one or two of our jacks will ooze fluid. I wasn't aware that the Kwikee Level-Best jacks were not rebuildable. Were you told that by a hydraulic shop, or by a parts seller?

ETA - I would have to say that I prefer the single acting jack with spring return - rather than dual-action.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:17 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Jack cylinders

Mine were definitely NOT rebuildable. Top caps were welded on when manufactured.

And, I agree. I would prefer single action, spring return cylinders. BTW, I've seen other posts from owners with single action cylinders who replaced the springs to solve retraction problems.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrattain View Post
Mine were definitely NOT rebuildable. Top caps were welded on when manufactured.

And, I agree. I would prefer single action, spring return cylinders. BTW, I've seen other posts from owners with single action cylinders who replaced the springs to solve retraction problems.
Might be the best thing to try first....
Old 08-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Thanks 4 all the advice. Does someone have a link to the new springs for my setup, HWH?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Mine are p/n R3847 and I verified that based on dimensions of the old spring, and the Lbs rating of the jacks. That is the p/n for each of the four. Some owners report having two different p/n's - front/back, so you need know know before ordering. But if you contact AZPete, an HWH employee that is a member here, I'm sure he can tell you the p/n of your springs. You might check your HWH service guide if you have one...or see if you can get it online. It's possible they put the p/n's for yours in there. Once you have the p/n(s) you just google them. Amazon might even have yours.

I found mine on eBay but the link at my Jack spring replacement article is broken now so I'd suggest googling that R3847 p/n AFTER you verify that's the right one for your RV.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

SaltLife - the HWH factory is in Moscow Iowa just off I-80. Give them a call to see what can be done. Had a previous RV there that had jack issues that eluded 2 other service places. Was fixed properly there. Highly recommend them. They also have a Service Center in Elkhart, In. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Thanks....

Tags
leak