Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee steps on Itasca Sunstar 30T won't extend!

Hi. I'm looking for some 'real life' diagnostic help before I take the rig to a repair facility.
Yesterday I opened the door and the steps extended, then retracted when the door closed. No problem, no odd noises. I turned the engine on and the next time the door opened the steps did not extend. They also will not extend with the engine off. Nothing is caught under/in the steps. I have looked under the steps and all wires appear to be connected, grounded, no major kinks. The light goes on but there is no motor sound. As additional background, we just had the converter replaced (the house battery was draining even when connected to shore power!). The CoachNet/Winnebago tech I just spoke to said it must be a bad motor since the light does go on when the door is opened. Has anyone had any similar problems and does the 'bad motor' diagnosis sound right? Thanks.
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I recently went through a similar problem, though my motor made a funny noise and was stripped. See the video: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/elli...em-257121.html

The motor was very easy to replace myself and replacement instructions were included with the part.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Maryland
MusicRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If the steps are closed completely and not attempting to open, no jerks etc.. The most likely guess is a bad magnetic switch, this is mounted on your door and door jam. Available on Amazon and many RV sites. Next guess would be a fuse.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps. Maybe there is some info that will help.

Trouble shooting chart HERE

There is a trouble shooting guide HERE

If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:

Motor

PARTS 1

PARTS 2

PARTS 3
Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just went through this on my 2014 Vista also. In my case the final diagnosis was that the steps were "jammed".

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/kwike...ch-259926.html
Old 09-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Emcee - how did you resolve the 'jammed' problem? Did you have to take it in for dealer service? Did you lube the steps ?Or use a hammer (old school - LOL). Thanks.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I took the motor off - the gears were holding it pretty tight - and bench tested it. It worked fine so I lubed everything and reinstalled. If it happens again I will try a pry bar or something to "help" it. A tap with a hammer might do it. Just stay safe and be ready for it to open.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee steps on Itasca Sunstar 30T won't extend!

Just fixed mine this week. Mine would not retract.
Follow the troubleshooting guide above to make sure power, power switch and door switch work properly. I did that and motor still would not run. I applied power directly to motor and it still would not run. Took motor off and applied power to motor and it runs. Took off motor cover and shook out lots of carbon dust. Cleaned it up, reassembled and all is well. Sometimes a couple of light taps with a plastic hammer will do the trick. Carbon dust is a problem in several types of motors. I have to dissemble and clean the starter motor on my 4-wheeler twice a year!
Bill W5EC
hawkeye38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the great ideas. The troubleshooting guide is a keeper! I started by lubing the steps and then removing/cleaning the plastic cover on each of the magnetic sensors (door and coach). That seemed to do the trick - the steps now extend and retract without any problems. I'll be keeping the information everyone provided just in case the problem happens again. Thanks again.

Tags
itasca, kwikee, steps