Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Series 25 steps pop a pivot rivet

We have a 2012 Winnebago Adventurer. Recently our Kwikee steps popped a rivet from one of the pivot points. The rivet has a 1/2" shoulder that runs for 3/8" then reduces down to about 0.35 " for another 3/8". I don't think I can reuse the rivet. As a temporary fix I'm using a 5/16" bolt with washers and a locking nut but there is still too much play.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to repair the problem? Kwikee does not show replacement parts for the rivets their manual.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's been a while, so I forget some details, but I do recall I found some shoulder bolts to replace the rivets. Some careful measuring and some ny-loc (or other locking nut) and you ought to be back in business.

(Could also drill the step holes to match bolts you can find.)
Attached Images

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Tim. I think that's a great idea. I did find some architectural bols that look similar but have 1/2" shoulder and a 1/2" full threaded 3/8" end. The head is rounded with 0.313. allen wrench hole.

I spent some time with online with an agent at Lippert. She sent me full exploded view drawings of the Series 25 triple step. As I expected they do not replace rivets or have any other pivot replacement options. The agent was a bit embarrassed that their fix is to replace the whole triple step assembly (~ $790, less actuator motor assembly that I would reuse). They were willing to give me a discounted price and free shipping but I'll try the fix above that you described 1st. I did strongly suggest that Lippert look a more reasonable simpler fix for the lost rivet problem. She indicated she would pass the request to the appropriate dept. I'm confident that you and I are not the only owners that have experienced this problem)

Once I figure out how to add images and pdf docs to the forum I'll post the exploded diagrams and rivet pics

allen wr
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwing50 View Post
Once I figure out how to add images and pdf docs to the forum I'll post the exploded diagrams and rivet pics
4 step process during posting:

1. Click on "Go Advanced" scroll down to "Additional Options" > "Attach Files" > click on "Manage Attachments"

2. Click on "Choose File" > browse to desired file > Double click the file

3. Click on "Upload" > "Close this Window"

4. Click on "Submit Reply"

What could be simpler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	170393   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	170394  

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Series 25 steps exploded diagram

Attached is the Exploded pdf doc for the stairs that Lippert sent me. I also included a picture of the pivot rivet the popped out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181004_193828376.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	170400  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stairs exploded view.pdf (1.78 MB, 174 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem but the rivet did not come out only got rest loose. They replaced the step under warranty. Same thing again and they replaced it again. No idea of a fix. They were nice about it but there should be a simple fix. Let us all know what you find with the shoulder bolt. Make sure it clears when they step closes
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just had the same problem this summer. I don't see a good way to actually replace the rivet - tough place to "buck" in the field. I used a 3/8" bolt and a bushing with a 3/8 ID and 1/2" OD. The bushing I found at a local hardware store was about twice as long as needed, so I cut it in half and now have a spare if it happens again. I used red thread locker and tighten just enough to feel resistance. So far that has worked. It isn't a perfect solution, but I doubt Kwikee is going to replace mine under warranty since we just reach 5 years from purchase. I am keeping and eye on my fix, but as I said, so far OK.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

The rivets on my steps got so rusty no amount of lube would free them up so I bought new shoulder bolts and lock nuts not nylok nylok are to tall bought online from bolt depot 1/2 x3/8 I then ground off all the rivets and had the parts sandblasted and powder coated then reassembled with sim washers as needed (bought from local hardware store)
cmpr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpr4 View Post
The rivets on my steps got so rusty no amount of lube would free them up so I bought new shoulder bolts and lock nuts not nylok nylok are to tall bought online from bolt depot 1/2 x3/8 I then ground off all the rivets and had the parts sandblasted and powder coated then reassembled with sim washers as needed (bought from local hardware store)
Holy deja vu, Batman. That's almost exactly what I just got done doing two weeks ago.

My motorhome's steps had always had a retraction/extension problem since I bought it two years ago, and the bottom linkage arms and step arms got bent when the steps hit a curb at night in 2017. That summer I disassembled and re-lubed the gearbox, bent the arms back into position as good as possible while still assembled and mounted, lubricated all the joints, and it helped some, but not completely.

This year, after removing the steps from the motorhome, disassembling and re-lubing the gearbox, bending the arms some more, sandblasting and repainting, reinstalling the steps on the motorhome, and lubing all of the lube points, it still didn't retract and extend reliably. So I decided to take drastic action.

Without removing the steps unit from the MH again, I drilled out the head of four rivets so I could remove the bottom two steps. The top step was left in place on the motorhome, and its rivets left untouched.

I used an angle grinder to grind off the heads of the remaining rivets in the bottom two steps. I straightened all of the linkage arms and the arms of the steps themselves.

I ordered shoulder bolts, nylon spacers, and nuts with nylon inserts from Bolt Depot. I had read of them on a "Making" website, but had no prior experience with them. I ordered on a Friday afternoon, selected the standard USPS shipping, and received the shipment on Monday afternoon. I was very pleased with their service.

The stair's existing rivets were 1/2" diameter with 3/8" ends. So rather than have to drill out the existing 3/8" holes in the steps, I used shoulder bolts with a 3/8" diameter shoulder. The nylon spacers were used in the 1/2" holes, and allow the shoulder to rotate smoothly. When I ordered the bolts, spacers and nuts, I wasn't sure what size or quantity of washers I would, need, so I bought the stainless steel washers (5/16", 3/8" and 1/2") that I used at Tractor Supply. After reassembling the steps and being satisfied with the operation and assembly, I removed each nut and used a drop of blue Loctite in each, and retightened them.

The end result is that the stairs work great now, I can still lubricate them as needed, and I can easily disassemble the steps in the future if there are problems. The extra parts are in the motorhome, just in case!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 3.59.42 PM.png
Views:	180
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	170414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6189.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	170415  

Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Wonder if Kwikee got a bunch of rivets that were not properly hardened?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Wonder if Kwikee got a bunch of rivets that were not properly hardened?
Just to further clarify, in my case there was no problem with the rivets popping out. Because I couldn't resolve the bent step arms/legs and pivot arms without disassembling the steps, I decided to remove the rivets, straighten the steps and pivot arms, and reattach them with shoulder bolts, nylon bushings and nuts with nylon inserts.

Tags
kwikee, steps