Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just got my first RV - Adventurer 35P Need some experienced guidance!

Very excited after a shakedown of my new Adventurer 35P that I took deliver on yesterday. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the manufacturing and the dealer (La Mesa RV in Davis CA did a great job with this factory order; their PDI and walkthrough, for which they did not charge extra, was exceptionally professional and thorough and the small handful of things we noticed they made right on the spot or promised to when the part arrives). Rig was several weeks late being delivered from the factory but I have a very short punch list after a full day full test of everything I could think of; happy contrast with many horror story posts I've seen. Following are a couple of little points that I want to address that I don't have much clue on and I'm hoping someone on the forum has some experience or insight that will help me.
1. Wind noise at freeway speed; pretty loud in fact...it's on both sides so it's not the driver's side door. Sounds like it's coming from the mirrors or the edge of the windshield trim. It's the kind of sound one gets if a window is slightly ajar. Louder on the facing-a-sidewind side of the coach. Has anyone experienced this and what's the fix?
2. Winegard Travel'r satellite dish...both factory and dealer told me in two separate conversations that it was going to be a Dish network satellite but it came with a (perfectly installed and fully functional) DirecTV one. I would like to switch it to Dish and the Winegard folks tell me it's easy enough that I can do it myself for $130; dealer is quoting $300 for parts and ?? for labor. Anyone done this conversion and can I pull it off if I'm not a technician guru?
3. Inside tires on the rear duals have stems that're pretty hard to find and reach; any advice on having someone install steel valve extensions? (I have installed a screw on tire pressure monitoring system and it's working fine but I can foresee it being a pain to adjust the inside tire pressures)
4. I'm sure the dealer will address when I bring it back in for an adjustment to the awning, which is sticking (they're waiting for the part), but I have the on demand style water heater, which works great in the shower, bathroom sink and external shower. Trouble is the kitchen sink hot water doesn't seem to create enough flow to trigger the water heater to kick in (it does put out hot water if I turn on the bathroom sink hot at the same time). Maybe a kinked hose? I can't figure out why the pressure from the kitchen sink hot side would be different than the outside shower or bathroom sink so I'm hoping maybe someone's dealt with this one.
5. Fiiiinally some howzit work info...dealer and manual aren't clear on whether I have to have the inverter turned on for the solar panel to charge the batteries. Also, will the solar panel charge the batteries if while parked idle for an extended time I switch off the battery disconnect switches (seems to me it won't but it would be cool if it did). Anyone who knows the answer or a way I can figure it out by looking at the display, please let me know. The panel controller is a Eurolights Ltd model EL-CM3024Z.

Not complaining...I'm thrilled overall just figured I'd reach out to the community rather than grasping blindly here in Newbie land. Thanks again to the smart folks who got me the info on hitch heights for this rig; because of that help I had exactly the right hitch drop and was able to drag my toad right off the lot the first time!
Robhobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The wind noise may be the weep holes on the side windows right next to the rear view mirrors. You will find a slot cut into the window frame to allow water to drain. Just tape over and see if the noise stops. If it does, there are plugs available.
Are you refering to the solar panel with the little light on the front ac return vent? If so, the panel is almost useless for charging batterys and yes it will charge batterys while the battery switch is off and nope, no inverter needed
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhobart View Post
1. Wind noise at freeway speed; pretty loud in fact...it's on both sides so it's not the driver's side door. Sounds like it's coming from the mirrors or the edge of the windshield trim. It's the kind of sound one gets if a window is slightly ajar. Louder on the facing-a-sidewind side of the coach. Has anyone experienced this and what's the fix?
I have wind noise which seems to be coming from the drivers side...dealer could not "fix" it and I just deal with it. I am going to Forest City and have an appt in July with the Factory to do some warranty work and I'll have them check it out...if your Dealer figures out the wind noise please let us know!
3. Inside tires on the rear duals have stems that're pretty hard to find and reach; any advice on having someone install steel valve extensions? (I have installed a screw on tire pressure monitoring system and it's working fine but I can foresee it being a pain to adjust the inside tire pressures)
One of the first things I did was purchase and install a set of metal tire valves from Borg Tires Supply...super easy now to check tire pressure. I had the local tire shop (Les Schwab) do the install and think I paid ~$49 for that.
Call and speak to Bill:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/page/1-1/contact-us
Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Things

Robhobart, there should be some black plastic covers that go over the drain slots.
I changed out my Travel'r satellite dish to Dish, below is a a page from a tech manual that may help you understand what needs to be done. You will get complete instruction with the kit. I had all kinds of misinformation about the factory installed Travel'r antenna luckily I have a good contact at the factory. The dealers will tell you anything to sell a coach.
If you would like to talk about the antenna just let me know.
How does the cold water flow at the kitchen sink? There maybe some trash in the faucet filter.
Just keep checking every thing, most of the issues I had were things not installed correctly or missing parts. I just discovered two weeks ago that the door stop on the bathroom door was missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OE-Dish.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	81340  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
I am in modesto, it has to be easy, someone else installed it, bring it over, we'll get-er-done, AND ALSO, CONGRATS ON THE GREAT PERCHASE
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
The wind noise may be the weep holes on the side windows right next to the rear view mirrors. You will find a slot cut into the window frame to allow water to drain. Just tape over and see if the noise stops. If it does, there are plugs available.
Are you refering to the solar panel with the little light on the front ac return vent? If so, the panel is almost useless for charging batterys and yes it will charge batterys while the battery switch is off and nope, no inverter needed
Thanks.
Weep channel sounds like a likely suspect and a fixable problem! The solar panel is the factory installed 100 watt roof mount. The only readout is on a control panel under the coach installed next to the inverter. Would that change the answer?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Robhobart, there should be some black plastic covers that go over the drain slots.
I changed out my Travel'r satellite dish to Dish, below is a a page from a tech manual that may help you understand what needs to be done. You will get complete instruction with the kit. I had all kinds of misinformation about the factory installed Travel'r antenna luckily I have a good contact at the factory. The dealers will tell you anything to sell a coach.
If you would like to talk about the antenna just let me know.
How does the cold water flow at the kitchen sink? There maybe some trash in the faucet filter.
Just keep checking every thing, most of the issues I had were things not installed correctly or missing parts. I just discovered two weeks ago that the door stop on the bathroom door was missing.
Thank you! I think I will give it a DIY try as it looks like non technical assembly and they seem pretty responsive to consumer calls if I mess it up.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just got my first RV - Adventurer 35P Need some experienced guidance!

I just bought a 15 38Q. I have the same wind noise from what I thought was the driver's door. I also have the drain holes at the bottom of the windows but mine have plastic covers over the drain holes. They are supposed to cut back the wind noise (that's what Atwood window manufacturer told me). The solar panel will continue to charge the batteries with the coach, chassis, and master switch off. With all switches off, check the solar control panel in the second door, rt side and you will see charging voltage. I bought extender hoses and had dealer put them on for me for free since both rear center caps had to come off anyway due to missing fake lug nut caps. Hope this helps
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I agree that the weep hole covers need to be in place in order to stop wind noise. I glued mine in as they came out when I washed the coach.
Can't give you any info on Direct to Dish conversion as we use a VUCube portable unit which works very well
As for the solar panel it charges directly to the house battery and will work great.
We like our 35P and DW especially likes stackable washer/ dryer and sleep number bed. We had a few problems but that is to be expected I guess but all is well now.
If I can help with anything else please PM me.
Enjoy your new coach!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank You! Thank You! TY!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We love our 35P. There will be wind noise as you are pushing a big flat surface through the air. I was missing a few vent covers on both sides, dealer ordered them and I glued them in. It seemed to diminish the wind noise.

I put on dually valve extenders which fit reasonably well.

One caution, there is a drip channel above the driver's door. So if you open the door when there is dew dripping off the roof or it is raining, the water will fall directly on the mirror adjustment switch. I had to replace one mirror switch destroyed by water and also installed drip extenders which helps somewhat. See thread below.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/drip...-211854-2.html

Enjoy your new 35P. We have also had only a few minor issues and so far we are really pleased with our Adventurer.
Scott

2013 Elantra GT - SMI Stay-In-Play, Blue Ox set up.
follows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

follows, I'm working on plan B for the left side. I cannot tell you how many times I have been soaked by the water from the drip rail and you are right it goes right on the mirror switch. I'm working on a J-channel to get the water farther forward that looks like it belongs there.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My 37f Adventurer just had the "Cat's Eye" tire pressure monitoring system installed. I'll pick it up Friday. Looks to me to be the best system available.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Another thing to reduce or eliminate the wind noise is to reposition the side mirrors. When they come from the factory they are positioned so the side cameras have the widest field of view.

Since both my wife and I are vertically challenged we had to readjust the mirrors for our best field of vision. The adjustment also eliminated the wind noise. Now we don't have the widest field of vision with the cameras, but it's still well within what I would call a reasonable range.

As for the valve stems I modified a Milton S-516 inflator gauge to fit on them through the outer aluminum wheels.

Milton Window Inflator Air Gauge — Dual-Head Straight Chuck, 1/4in. Inlet, Model# S-516 | Dry Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

In time I may replace the inner stems with ones that stick through the outer wheels. For now the combination of the TPMS and the modified inflator work just fine.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Stay with Direct TV. You will have problems getting home channels on the road, and you may not always get the channels that were promised in your contract with Dish due to problems between them and the net works they do business with. Fox News channel and CBS are now in negotiations with them. Until the problems are resolved I can get no reception,been some time now.
Steggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have Dish in our S&B and in the 14 38Q with a Travl'r 1000. We have a home we inherited in Northern Nevada with Direct. Direct also has renegotiation issues with networks. About in the same proportions. We plan on getting rid of direct and going to a Dish Snowbird plan. If the dealer installed the wrong equipment, they should pay to make it right. I need to check the weep holes also for wind noise. In our last rig I adjusted mirrors to help. The mirrors and side cameras work so well, I am loathe to adjust them. Dealer told me that they could add two additional solar panels for cost of panels and one hour labor. I may do that. 100w isn't enough help with the residential fridge. Almost always plugged in to at least 30amp when not moving so not a big deal.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhobart View Post
Thanks.
Weep channel sounds like a likely suspect and a fixable problem! The solar panel is the factory installed 100 watt roof mount. The only readout is on a control panel under the coach installed next to the inverter. Would that change the answer?
The 100 watt solar panel / charger system is designed only to trickle charge the battery to prevent parasite loads (radio memory and such) from slowly draining the battery when in storage. It works even if the disconnects are off. But, and this is a big but, it is not going to keep your battery charged if you have the disconnect on and are using any loads at all. You'd need a much bigger solar system for that purpose.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I can respond to the wind noise thru the upper front window on our 2015 Vista. In our case it created a whistle louder than I can whistle myself. Luckily I recorded it on my phone and could replay it for the tech. I took it to the factory for some repairs and the tech told me that the factory has found that units hadn't been getting sealed correctly, so mine didn't get sealed as it should have and the wind will come in under the molding and blow down the metal tubes creating a whistle. As this was more than my third extra item I added, they said they fix it next time. Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steggie View Post
Stay with Direct TV. You will have problems getting home channels on the road, and you may not always get the channels that were promised in your contract with Dish due to problems between them and the net works they do business with. Fox News channel and CBS are now in negotiations with them. Until the problems are resolved I can get no reception,been some time now.
While you may not be able to get your "home" channels on the road, with one phone call you will be able to get the locals where you are parked.

Regarding contract and losing channels, yep you're right, but it happens to Direct TV, and several cable providers every year. Thing is, you always get them back. I was pretty angry over the AMC outage a couple of years ago, but we got it back.

If you have reception problems, you might want to post about them in the Tech forum here and I'll bet you real money you'll get them solved.

I am VERY happy with Dish both at home and in my motor home. Having Hoppers and Joeys both at home and on the road is a great thing. The Trav'ler system saves me about two hours per setup and I could not not be happier!

Scott
Old 12-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

dunkonu23, X2 on the Dish. I have found the quickest way to get the local stations is online chat. I have a text file setup so I just copy and paste the info and it goes right through.

Tags
vent