Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey windshield frame rust

My passenger side windshield cracked recently. It was my suspicion that rust on the frame caused the break, since this problem has been reported by other Winnebago owners.

I visited the shop today to take some pics that may be of general interest to other Winnebago owners.

This pic shows the rust at the exact location of the break at the top of the windshield:

This pic shows some additional rust on the frame adjacent to the left glass. Since the cost per panel is about $815, I have decided to wait for the eventual failure of the left panel rather than remove the glass (and be assured the glass will break). My shop is going to deal with that rust as best they can:

Finally, a pic of one of the metal tabs on the bottom that support the glass. This one was rusted, the other was not:

The shop is going to scrape/grind the rusted areas and treat with a product similar to POR15. He then plans to use an epoxy coating.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I was unfortunate with my Winnebago Destination (2008) with the rust, but no cracking window. I had a water streak every time it rained. Fortunately I was under warranty. I was in the shop the day the "imported" body man was there that was going to work on it. I asked how long the fix would last. He stated that he would give a lifetime guarantee, then corrected that to say as long as he is alive. So I hop I never have to challenge him on that.

Yes, this is a very known problem on the Winnebago line of coaches. Good pictures. Thanks.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

smlranger, thanks for the post and the pics. You are right. This is a common Winnie problem. We've seen several of these in our shop.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Itasca Meridian 36G

I have an 05 itasca meridian, basically the same coach as the journey, and I have black flakes dropping on to the dash from what I am guessing is dried adhesive or paint. I've had my windshield resealed, but am guessing that rust is happening as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Had the passenger side windshield replaced on my 2004 Meridian by Forest City while other work was being done and the best I can remember they charged somewhere over $100 to treat the rust on the channel, which the insurance doesn't cover.

Seeing as how this is a Winnebago "bad", has anyone figured out how the moisture is getting in around the windshield and how to prevent it? As common a problem as it is you'd think Winnebago would have a remedy and let us all know.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Had the passenger side windshield replaced on my 2004 Meridian by Forest City while other work was being done and the best I can remember they charged somewhere over $100 to treat the rust on the channel, which the insurance doesn't cover.

Seeing as how this is a Winnebago "bad", has anyone figured out how the moisture is getting in around the windshield and how to prevent it? As common a problem as it is you'd think Winnebago would have a remedy and let us all know.

Wagonmaster2
The best explanation I've heard is as follows:

...Grit, dirt, debris washing off the upper cap/roof collects behind the rubber trim and works its way into the 1/2" space between the edge of the cap and the top edge of the windshield glass. This damp stuff sits on that metal and starts the rust. Or, same dirt allows water to run behind the rubber trim and enter the area above the glass.

I've asked my guy to fill that 1/4" - 1/2" space above the little plastic channel that holds the trim with caulk after the glass is replaced. Not sure what else can be done. I would agree that some sort of re-engineering of how the windshield is installed is in order by Winnebago.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As it was told to me, a lot of the problem can be attributed to a person working on the assembly line who decided to use an awl (scriber) to scratch through the e-coat to mark where the windshield was to be installed. The rust would spread from there. The problem was finally caught around 2006 IIRC.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sad state of affairs. I just replaced both front shields on my 1991 Beaver and 20 years ago they used alot of wood and fiberglass in construction.... no rust was found. Good luck.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
RKL
Winnebago Owner

What has worked for me with my Vectra (94) and myJourney now is to runa bead of silicone along the inside of the top rubber trim gasket and do the same thing on the bottom gasket between the trim and the windshield..I just pull the top of the rubber trim back enough to run some silicone between the back of the rubber and the fiberglass cap..Then I push the rubber against the cap or window on the bottom and wipe off any excess silicone...I have done this on both coaches and there is absoluterly no rust on the windoww clips at the top or bottom. I also run a bead of silicone along the edges of the windows vertically to seal the frame...Use the GE silicone in the small tubes for a one hand application....RKL
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
What has worked for me with my Vectra (94) and myJourney now is to runa bead of silicone along the inside of the top rubber trim gasket and do the same thing on the bottom gasket between the trim and the windshield..I just pull the top of the rubber trim back enough to run some silicone between the back of the rubber and the fiberglass cap..Then I push the rubber against the cap or window on the bottom and wipe off any excess silicone...I have done this on both coaches and there is absoluterly no rust on the windoww clips at the top or bottom. I also run a bead of silicone along the edges of the windows vertically to seal the frame...Use the GE silicone in the small tubes for a one hand application....RKL
Not trying to be argumentative, but I was told not to do this as it impeded the flex capability of the glass and will eventually break the glass. Obviously you have not had any issue with this...how long has yours been siliconed?
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Vectra was sold after 8 years with no damage to windshield and Journey is almost 9 years old...Driving at 65 mph puts more strain on the windshield than a line of silicone ever could in my opinion. Note the trim is sealed to the cap at the top and not the glass. on the bottom it is siliconed to the glass but not the cap, so flexibility still remains as the trim is nothing but rubber in a channel while the windshield is set in urathane and is basically non moveable...RKL