Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey Windshield

I have a leak that I have traced to the top of the windshield of our 2013 Winnebago Journey. To fix it I need to remove the rubber moulding above the windshield and to do that properly I need to remove the aluminum mouldings from the sides of the windshield. Does anyone know how to remove these aluminum mouldings?
Thanks
Brent
Old 07-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would let a glass expert do that as your windshield is not sealed like it should be if the leak is coming inside the glass. Needs to be resealed with sealant. If the windshield is sealed it should't leak. Same on the glass installer at Forest City.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Three screws holds mine on. How do I know, it almost came off yesterday. Heard this bagging and found two of the screws almost ready to fall out.

If you have a leak, if I were you I'd have the window removed and the frame checked for rust which is a common problem. Found early it's an easy fix, found late And it can get involved to repair.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437867583.334111.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	101099
The water comes from the top cap. The backend of the cap is not sealed that good. I had mine all torn down and replaced seals and it still leaked. Some will say look at your running lights. But after getting on top with water hose I recreated the leak. If yours was like mine it only leaked while stopped. I started looking at the cap were I outlined in pic and no sealant. Both sides was like this. After sealing that area I have sit in all the rain we had in north Texas and no leaks. It will take one minute to look at this area and see if it will pull away. I know I will get beat up again but this is what I found on mine and other RV that had this problem were I store my RV.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

RvWarner The online drawing does not show it very well but I had a friend at Winnebago send be a drawing for our coach and I believe they are the same. Remove the inside trim on the A pillar and you will find three bolts with nuts that hold the trim on. They also use a lot of caulking so you will have to work at it to get it off.
The drawing below is looking straight down from the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield trim.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	101111  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Attachment 101099
The water comes from the top cap. The backend of the cap is not sealed that good. I had mine all torn down and replaced seals and it still leaked. Some will say look at your running lights. But after getting on top with water hose I recreated the leak. If yours was like mine it only leaked while stopped. I started looking at the cap were I outlined in pic and no sealant. Both sides was like this.
Winnnebago had a problem over a few years with the front cap ends popping loose on one or both sides. (Newer coaches have a screw through the cap corner into the sidewall. Mine popped loose on the driver side, but my coach is slightly different and the leak was over the driver side window. I filled the gap with adhesive sealant and have never had another problem. When I had a windshield leak just to pax side of center, the source was the clearance lamp just above that area.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the replies. I have spent quite a bit of time tracking the leak down and have checked and resealed the top cap, antennas etc. Johndale I checked and added some sealant to the areas you have hi lighted also, good idea but alas it didn't stop the leak. I removed the inside of the cabinetry above the windshield and can see where the water is coming in so I am pretty comfortable with resealing above the windshield. Grtharris, I think your drawing is exactly what I needed but will let you know once I remove the trim, thanks!
Brent
Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

That diagram was spot on Grtharris, thanks. It was a job and a half but I chipped out some old urethane, re sealed and added sealant above and below the windshield joint. Just waiting for the next rain to see if I was successful in stopping the leak.
Brent

Tags
journey