Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Looking through some more old photo's I ran accross this one from the ad I had placed when selling the rig. Not really a closeup of the lights, but you might get a feel for the stainless inserts and also the red and amber lights.

Click to enlarge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior 4r.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	165  
Old 03-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

i just talked to a distributor in KY (270-886-1103), they will order and dropped ship for the following price amber lights $38.58 each and red lights $37.15 each plus shipping.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Being a devil's advocate (aka PITA)

The 7" LED assemblies from http://www.led-r-us.com/sttlights.shtml have more LED's (60 for red @ $35.95, 80 for amber @ $39.95) than Alligtech. However the lens doesn't diffuse/hide the LED's as well.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

this link is one of the advertiser here on IRV2, wonder if they can make those plates behind the lights. anybody deal with them before?

http://www.summit-products.com/fabrication.htm
Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

You guys have me thinking. I am going to give my 02 Journey a "Full Body Paint" this summer, and I believe I am going to glass up the indentations where the lights sit now smooth, and then flush mount the 7" round LED's.

I kinda think this will look better, but to each his own. I am fortunate that I am able to do work like paint and body work.

Dgold2
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Well after doing some searching, I found some oval 6" red and amber lights that I am going to use to replace the current lights on my 02 Journey.

While the price is more than right since they are on clearance, I am using red and 2 amber for each side. You can see them at this link, http://www.doranmfg.com/clearance-led.htm.

I am still going to have to find some oval clear back-up lights. I am also going to finish the rear cap off smooth in preparation of mounting the LED's. I will probably mount them on a 25-35 degree angle, to change it up a little.

I will post some pics when I get finished.

Dgold2[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELZYE%7E1.GOL/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

i just talked to Summit Products. i sent them the spec sheets on the original lights and the new round lights. They will laser cut a pair for $85 or $105 for all 4.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob.

Thanks for posting your progress about the tail light conversion. I'm still aways away from doing it but want to do it so bad so I'll get to it eventually.

What is Summit Products producing for you? ...the stainless polished plate? Do you think that is the best way to go? So they're doing all four for $105? That sounds like a great price for all four ...how about their shipping cost? Will they polish the edges they they won't appear rough cut? I might just place an order for them now while they're doing yours. Who is the contact person there I should talk to and does he have an email address?

Will the light from the LEDs reflect a bit off of the polished plate? If so, it would definitely be a nice effect.

Another question regarding the turn signal portion of the project. I was talking to a friend of mine who dabbles a bit in automotive wiring. He was telling me that when retrofitting cars with LED signal lamps, a resistor or some other type of diode might me needed or when the turn signal is activated they will start to blink very fast as if a bulb was burned out. This is because an LED needs/uses so much less power that it senses that a bulb is burned out and acts accordingly. Do you think that will be a problem in this application? If so, what diode will you be using and where should it be placed?

If Joe or Gary are still reading this thread, maybe either of you can chime in and give a response to my inquiries too.

Thanks!
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Hi Bob.

Thanks for posting your progress about the tail light conversion. I'm still aways away from doing it but want to do it so bad so I'll get to it eventually.

What is Summit Products producing for you? ...the stainless polished plate? Do you think that is the best way to go? So they're doing all four for $105? That sounds like a great price for all four ...how about their shipping cost? Will they polish the edges they they won't appear rough cut? I might just place an order for them now while they're doing yours. Who is the contact person there I should talk to and does he have an email address?

Will the light from the LEDs reflect a bit off of the polished plate? If so, it would definitely be a nice effect.

Another question regarding the turn signal portion of the project. I was talking to a friend of mine who dabbles a bit in automotive wiring. He was telling me that when retrofitting cars with LED signal lamps, a resistor or some other type of diode might me needed or when the turn signal is activated they will start to blink very fast as if a bulb was burned out. This is because an LED needs/uses so much less power that it senses that a bulb is burned out and acts accordingly. Do you think that will be a problem in this application? If so, what diode will you be using and where should it be placed?

If Joe or Gary are still reading this thread, maybe either of you can chime in and give a response to my inquiries too.

Thanks!
No problem with my rig hooking the A.L. Lightech units directly to the coach wiring. No resistors or diodes were needed.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #30
iRV2 Sponsor

Hello,
If there is enough interest in the stainless steel taillight trim pieces, then I believe help save a few dollars. I work for Summit Products. We proudly make the stainless accent kits seen on the new Winnebagos along with several other coach manufacturers.
Someone asked if the edges would need to be polished. The short answer is no, the laser cut edges should be perfect (not a plasma nor a shear).
If we can get 5 orders for these tail light accents, then the price would be $62 per set of four pieces.
Albert
Summit Products
800-329-2958
Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Al,

Have you had any replies yet, i might be intetested.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I may be interested too.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I'm in. Calling Albert @ Summit now!!!!!

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

i finally installed the new LED lights. we made the backs with stainless steel and then painted it to match the decal. They are bright at night. here are pictures of old and new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0674.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1414   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0672.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1415