Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Journey slide adjustment

The problem: The lower front of the passenger slide on my 39K appears to tighter and a bit lower than the other parts of the slide. The lower corner has rubbed off the rubber seal and is now metal to metal and makes an irritating noise when traveling. As a temp fix I'm putting foam rubber in the area to keep the metal part of the slide off the metal part of the body.

The slide is an HWH "X" slide model AP27647. Has anyone had experience adjusting this type of slide? I've calls into HWH but I suspect when they get back to me they'll suggest I take it to a dealer. Anyone had great success with getting slides adjusted along I-5 anywhere between Portland and San Diego?

Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Bob, I found this thread about slideout nylon supports. Maybe this is your problem. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/slid...rts-44777.html

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sammie, Thanks but those appear to be a different slide mechanism. I'll call Winnebago to see if I can talk to a tech.
Safe Travels
Bob
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bob, there is probably a broken and missing nylon pad where it is scraping. look under the slide and see if you can see where another guide rides on the other end of the slide. if so look at the nylon pad. that is what is probably missing where it is scrapping. the winnebago techs are very helpfull, but one told me I had to remove all of the inside trim and run the slide out past the wall to access the pad. I had a problem and called back and the second one told me how to do it from the outside. from the outside it was a easy fix. your slide mechanism is different then mine, but I bet there are still nylon pads for it to ride on. good luck.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Dear Sir: The plastic spacers on the slides on my 2006 Journey appear to be OK but this is very interesting and useful information for when they do wear out or crack. The pictures at the link you provided are no available except for one. The original message with the pictures is rather old. I don't suppose you would have them but if you do would you be willing to send or attach? Thanks.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the replies: On this slide the operating mechanism is in the ends of the slide which I guess is why they call it an X slide. The X device is at each end of the slide and when you extend the slide the X expands to move the slide out. I'm sure there are plastic or Teflon guides in there but one end is covered and the other end is so close to a wall it is almost impossible to get to. I'll have to remove the cover on the front end of the slide just to look for the guides. Was really hoping someone had experience with this type of slide.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bob, I know your slide mechanism is not like mine, BUT, if is the syle that the storage bays do not move with the slide I would extend the slide out and go outside and look on the underneath side and you should be able to see where the pads glide by the marks the would leave. pull down the rubber with your finger on the end that is not dragging and you should be able to see the pad.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Bob, I would give a call to 3t's RV in Lake Havasu. They are very knowledgable about Winn/HWH slides and hydraulics. If you are going to be down there soon, I wouldn't hesitate to make an appt w/them to have it looked at. A plus to seeing them is, you make an appt, you can pull in after 1630 the day before and park on their level pad w/50A elec. and be ready for them the next morning. A bonus--they only charge you $5 for the night and it is a QUIET place with a semi-view of the lake. We visited them twice last winter and they cured our problems both times.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

FYI - I did contact Winnebago and they sent me five pages of instruction on adjusting the X-arm slideout. After looking at the handout I think I'll give it a try.

Mikf, on this slide the mechanism is all above the floor and hidden behind a cover or cabinet at the ends of the slide. I'll have to remove the end cover to see the mechanism. The slide is apparently supported by the X at each end and does not have runners or guides or touch the floor on the inside of the RV.

Barry, Thanks for the suggestion - I'll be in AZ in January and if need I'll set up an appointment with them.
Safe Travels
Bob

Tags
slide, journey