Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey headliner

Good day all.

I have a 05 journey with a sagging headliner. It has pulled away from the wall in the bedroom. I'm hoping some of you can give me some food for thought on what I can do to keep it from getting worse.

Thanks much.
fullswedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

3M makes a headliner spray on glue that works pretty well. Over the short term. Amazon carries it.

I'd think you must have a water leak for that relatively protected headliner to be detaching. Be sure to check for that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Interested in learning how to apply headliner adhesive

We have a few sagging spots as well - nothing very serious - but I would like to stop them from growing larger. How should one go about applying the adhesive without making things worse? Will the headliner pull away at the edge so that the spray can reach?
Any comments from someone with experience would be appreciated :-)
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't have expirience with using the spray in a RV, but do in a car. There was a 10" square area of liner drooping down just ahead of the rear window in my car. Could see it in the mirror and it drove me crazy. Bought the 3M from Amazon (expensive!) and read their directions on the can (it has a little book attached - type is so small I had to use a magnifier). Followed those fairly closely starting with masking off the area around the liner with newspaper and after using the spray it worked...liner was reattached. Months later, through desert heat, desert cold, and rainy weather the liner shows no signs of detaching again.

You might do a search of how people have reattached their headliners in RVs in the various RV forums. I know I've read a thread or three over the years.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, I have an 06 Suncruizer and the same thing is happening....I could not find any sign of a leak which was my first thought for the sag, so I called Winnebago..The gentleman told me that many times over the course of time (11 years) the adhesive and foam backing begins to deteriorate on the liner and the weight causes the liner to sag. He said it can be fixed but the results are not always good unless you replace the entire section.
tommiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Even replacing the entire section could end up not being a permanent fix. The foam inner lining could be deteriorating.

My 2008 had a problem after the roof was replaced. One section was sagging about 1/2 ways across the ceiling. We were getting ready to go on a trip so the repair place did a temporary. They used 3/4" round molding, pulled the fabric tight and put in the strip of molding. Guess if one wanted to go fancy the could use crown molding. Worked for us then the storm Harvey flooded her so no more sagging worries.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My headliner is doing the same thing in the bathroom area, took the shower skylight trim down to have a look. It seems the 1/8" or 1/4" foam is breaking down, I see the foam residue is stuck on the fabric and foam is still stuck to the plywood. I sprayed contact cement and put it back up but by the end of the summer it's coming down again. I'm going to take the whole bathroom ceiling down, scrape the plywood clean and put new foam, and hopefully reuse the fabric.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We had this same problem on a Winnebago Journey 2006. As a previous poster noted it is caused by deterioration of the foam backing and adding adhesive will work until time and temperature bring back the sagging,

After reading a number of threads we decided on a temporary fix as we were on the road. It entailed using a swiffer mop to push the ceiling fabric and stretch it from the center to the side and then press the fabric back under whatever fitting it came out of using a flat blade.

While holding the fabric stretched my co pilot inserted drawing pins with a color as close as possible to the fabric. We chose the lighter drawing pins due to the thinness of the ply it goes into and the price and availability. By inserting pins close together we hoped to make up for the lack of holding power.

When time permitted we planned to cover the pins up with suitable plastic or wood mouldings. After 2 years the temporary fix is still holding and we like the neat row of pins down each side. It is not as neat as a professional upholsterer as it does not follow the curved ceiling but for the price of drawing pins great value for money.

I have seen photos where bigger pins were used that looked similar to those used upholstering a leather chair and they were spaced evenly across the ceiling and used as a feature. I would check on the length of pins used as the ply is not very thick and there may be wiring looms running on the other side.

The original idea came from another Journey owner which we adapted.

Steve.
Sentoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Had the problem in my previous 2008 Winni. We were getting ready to go on a trip and the RV Repair place use a 1/4 round molding to put up agains the wall and ceiling. It pulled the fabric tight.

My thought was that if it happened somewhere else I was going to put up some crown molding to make it look nicer and serve the purpose of pulling the fabric tight.

Repairing and replacing is $$$$!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
My headliner is doing the same thing in the bathroom area, took the shower skylight trim down to have a look. It seems the 1/8" or 1/4" foam is breaking down, I see the foam residue is stuck on the fabric and foam is still stuck to the plywood. I sprayed contact cement and put it back up but by the end of the summer it's coming down again. I'm going to take the whole bathroom ceiling down, scrape the plywood clean and put new foam, and hopefully reuse the fabric.
Having done this I can tell you that reusing the fabric is next to impossible to get all the foam off the fabric. If you don't remove it all then you'll have bubbles or it will start to come down again. Last summer I replaced the living room and galley. I was hoping I could get by in the bedroom but it's starting to sag so I'll be removing it and replacing it this summer.
Its a messy job but doable.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #11

Sentoza seems to have a good answer.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Why use the foam at all?
Is there a reason for it like insulation or something?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sagging area over bed and sofa in LR

Hi all -
After following this thread (very helpful thank you!), I have repaired the sagging in the main living areas, but have some sagging over the sofa in the living room and over the bed in the bedroom.
I've attached a photo.
I can't tell how to remove the edging to re-stretch the vinyl. Has anyone one else had a problem with this or developed a fix?
I'm so afraid of causing permanent damage when I don't understand HOW the white edge that secures the headliner is attached in the first place.
Any assistance would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headliner_edge.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	170070  
Old 08-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Having done the factory tour I can tell you that they mount the vinyl on the 4 x 8 sheets then install. The white strip is just so the edge won't show. When I did my living room I used some flat type molding and covered up everything. My bedroom is looking just like yours now so I'll be doing the same thing back there. I'll take some before, during and after pictures. Hopefully I'll get it done in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My fix

I went ahead and removed the decorative fascia board, then unscrewed the board beneath, and then removed the screws that hold the metal edge (the white part I referenced in previous post).
After that, I stretched the vinyl fabric very tightly all the way to the edge (alongside the white factory edge), and then used a staple gun to drive a staple right up against the edge and hold the headliner in place.
I did that every 2 inches or so along the length of the headliner.
Then, I took a screwdriver and 'stuffed' the excess headliner up behind the existing white edge. It helped to pull the edge away a little bit first, then tucked the excess under. This left a flat edge but the staples were showing.
So - off the the hardware store where I found some white PVC trim. Cut to length, then pre-drilled holes about every foot. Mounted the PVC trim flush against the edge using some screws that I painted white and alternating with white furniture tacks.
I'm attaching a photo - very pleased with the results in both living and bedroom.
Just some ideas for others with the same problem....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headliner.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	177521  
Old 07-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same problem in my bathroom, does anyone know of a company that will repair a headliner (preferably in or near Ohio).

--------------------------------
2004 Vecra 34TD
johnkvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
I went ahead and removed the decorative fascia board, then unscrewed the board beneath, and then removed the screws that hold the metal edge (the white part I referenced in previous post).
After that, I stretched the vinyl fabric very tightly all the way to the edge (alongside the white factory edge), and then used a staple gun to drive a staple right up against the edge and hold the headliner in place.
I did that every 2 inches or so along the length of the headliner.
Then, I took a screwdriver and 'stuffed' the excess headliner up behind the existing white edge. It helped to pull the edge away a little bit first, then tucked the excess under. This left a flat edge but the staples were showing.
So - off the the hardware store where I found some white PVC trim. Cut to length, then pre-drilled holes about every foot. Mounted the PVC trim flush against the edge using some screws that I painted white and alternating with white furniture tacks.
I'm attaching a photo - very pleased with the results in both living and bedroom.
Just some ideas for others with the same problem....
Kind of hard to tell what i'm looking at ..Thank you though
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Our 2006 Journey 36 ft also had a sagging headliner in bedroom. Wife and I pulled liner tight and placed decorator tacks in neat rows to hold liner in place. That was 2 years ago and everything still looks good!
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabass View Post
Our 2006 Journey 36 ft also had a sagging headliner in bedroom. Wife and I pulled liner tight and placed decorator tacks in neat rows to hold liner in place. That was 2 years ago and everything still looks good!
Love to see some pictures of your repair ...send them to my email if easier [email protected]
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
Why use the foam at all?
Is there a reason for it like insulation or something?
I just cleaned the fabric and plywood 3m spray adhesive foam just makes it look a little cushier but you really cant tell foam is not there pictures with no foam.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0072 (1).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	177783   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0087.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	177784  

Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags