Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

journey fan bearing

We have a 06 journey 36 with the cat 350 in it.Resentley the fan bearing froze and the fan fell off damaging the fan blade and denting the radiator and inter cooler radiator ( no holes. as luck would have it ) Two days sitting at a cat dealer and lots of $$$$$ later we continued our trip. I went to an RV forum and found several other Journeys with cats had the same problem, all around 30,000 miles. I have 40,000 miles. Cat said they do not think this is a problem with the engine and pointed out that Freightliner installs the fan and housing, The fan has a 6 inch extension on it so it creates a huge moment arm for the relatively small bearing and there is no way to grease the bearing. Has any one else had this problem?
polestarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Do a search on this and other sites, it is a known problem. We are leaving on a 7000 mile trip and holding our breath.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'd question the statement about the six-inch extension, but in any case my fan hub failed because the lifetime bearing dried out, at 28,000 miles. I was fortunate to still be under warranty since the bill was $2800. Hopefully this a case where the replacement OEM part is better than the original.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have just under 60,000 miles on my 2004 Meridian Cat 330 and keep my fingers crossed every time I take it out. Hoping to get the bearing replaced this winter/spring before any other trips though. Trying to decide whether to drive 100 miles to a Tulsa FL shop or 90 miles to a Wichita shop is the biggest problem. Not happy at all with the work I've had done at the Wichita shop (very easy to get to though) and only been to the Tulsa shop once for a recall but the traffic pattern is terrible to get to it.

Naturally Cat wouldn't admit any responsibility for this problem since they don't make over the road engines anymore for RVs even though this has been going on since they went to a sealed bearing in late 2003 or early 2004.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Journey Fan Bearing

We had the same problem with our fan bearing. 45,000 miles. The belt went stopping the fan. No damage to the radiator. Guess we were lucky. We were still under Cat warranty and the Cat dealer came out to us and fixed it. Took a few extra days of sitting around but we were at the beach and didn't mind the delay. Now we have 83,000 miles and still going strong! I am told that early hubs had grease fittings on them, however, they were hard to reach. Good luck and Happy Trails.

Ramblin Dan

04 Meridian 36G
Ramblin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Dan View Post
We had the same problem with our fan bearing. 45,000 miles. The belt went stopping the fan. No damage to the radiator. Guess we were lucky. We were still under Cat warranty and the Cat dealer came out to us and fixed it. Took a few extra days of sitting around but we were at the beach and didn't mind the delay. Now we have 83,000 miles and still going strong! I am told that early hubs had grease fittings on them, however, they were hard to reach. Good luck and Happy Trails.

Ramblin Dan

04 Meridian 36G
Ramblin Dan,
Well Sir, we have an almost identical coach. Ours is the '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT 330. Yes, the 3126 engines had the greasable hubs but, the C-7s came with the so called "Life time" bearing. So much for life time, whose? Anyway, we presently have 47K miles on ours and, I might have to take a look to see what it takes to replace that thing. Reading this thread is certainly not reassuring.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We just purchased a 2005 journey 39K. It has the Cat C-7, 350hp engine. It has 34000 miles on it. We take delivery on Friday. I wonder if its fan bearing has been replaced? I guess I'll ask the dealership. Before the bearing goes, does it give you any warning like a squeal or whatnot so you can shut down the engine to prevent radiator damage?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
We just purchased a 2005 journey 39K. It has the Cat C-7, 350hp engine. It has 34000 miles on it. We take delivery on Friday. I wonder if its fan bearing has been replaced? I guess I'll ask the dealership. Before the bearing goes, does it give you any warning like a squeal or whatnot so you can shut down the engine to prevent radiator damage?
Mine did it gave me a squealing noise. Also you can check the fan. If it moves back and forth then get it changed. On my coach i can reach the fan blades thur the rear battery compartment. That is how i found out what was squealing. This happened to me at 34,000 miles. My bearing messed up the bearing housing so both had to be changed. Luckily i had extended warranty and it cover everything but the belt.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Reference the fan bearing: I heard a swishing noise which turned out to be the fan rubbing the shroud. We were able to go another 160 miles before the belt let go. The engine started to get hot and I shut it down before it got to the red line or shut down by itself. Cat fixed it, happy ending.

I am not sure if the older hub with the grease fitting will fit on the C7 but it's worth looking into. That would be my plan if it happens again.

The bearing failure would not stop me from buying a motor home with a Cat engine. I have been very pleased with mine.

Ramblin Dan
Ramblin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #10

We have the cat 330 2000 Ultimate; 70000 miles I lube it at 30000 mile intervels . No problem It is a nuseince but it is much easier then paying $4/600.00 to fix something I am to lazy to lube . ( the referance is only to ME no one alse) I say check to make sure there is no fitting. DO NOT TAKE someone else word for it;; As there were fittings In some later models..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Guess it's no wonder Cat refused to take any responsibility for all the failed fan hub bearings, they'd probably go under if they did.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I installed an extension hose on my previous coach (3126) so that I could lube the fan from the ground. I believe that I read somewhere that the bearing with the grease fitting is still available, but it takes someone who really knows Cat parts to find them.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I am happy that I am not alone with this problem. I will be checking my fan for play before every major trip and I also plan to change the bearing every 20.000 or 25,000 miles. I would hate to change the inter cooler radiator or the coolant radiator. The bearing is only about $60. so I have ordered one to carry as a spare. To change the bearing you use a 13 mm ratchet wrench and from the small hatch under the bed, you can reach through the fan blades and take out the six bolts holding it on to the shaft. after the fan is off there are 4 bolts (allen head) holding the pulley on to the shaft. after that you can get at the four bolts holding the bearing housing onto the engine block ( also 13 mm). Once you have that out you will have to find a machine shop to have them press off the old bearing and press in the new one. If you have to replace the fan, a Freightliner part, you will have to remove the top brace that holds the fan shroud in place (very easy to do) and the fan comes out of the top. caution mark the fan so you know what is front and back and mark the holes and bearing housing so you do not get it upside down or in the wrong set of holes in the engine block. I hope this information can help
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by polestarbob View Post
I am happy that I am not alone with this problem. I will be checking my fan for play before every major trip and I also plan to change the bearing every 20.000 or 25,000 miles. I would hate to change the inter cooler radiator or the coolant radiator. The bearing is only about $60. so I have ordered one to carry as a spare. To change the bearing you use a 13 mm ratchet wrench and from the small hatch under the bed, you can reach through the fan blades and take out the six bolts holding it on to the shaft. after the fan is off there are 4 bolts (allen head) holding the pulley on to the shaft. after that you can get at the four bolts holding the bearing housing onto the engine block ( also 13 mm). Once you have that out you will have to find a machine shop to have them press off the old bearing and press in the new one. If you have to replace the fan, a Freightliner part, you will have to remove the top brace that holds the fan shroud in place (very easy to do) and the fan comes out of the top. caution mark the fan so you know what is front and back and mark the holes and bearing housing so you do not get it upside down or in the wrong set of holes in the engine block. I hope this information can help
I guess you are accessing everything thought the shroud? What about the serpentine belt do you have to remove it?
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I'm sure the belt is probably the first item to remove, or at least as soon as the blades are removed. Trying to think out this process myself. I have replaced the belt once by working under the head of the bed but keep wondering how you can get your hands between the blades and the shroud in order to remove the blade bolts. If you have skinny arms, nimble fingers, and double jointed wrists and elbows it may be duck soup doing this job.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

As to getting at those bolts through the fan, Yes it is tight and wear a long sleeve shirt because the fan has little sharp edges on it but it is doable. The belt is on this side of the fan so it is very easy to replace. use a 1/2" ratchet wrench or a breaker bar is better ,use the correct size socket and rotate the pulley assembly to remove or install the belt .To find the spring loaded tension pulley...as you look down from the bed hatch it is all the way down on your right hand side ( drivers side ). the tough part is working the belt past the fan blades.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

In a thread going around about cleaning the radiator it was suggested to cut a hole about 7X8 inches in the top of the fan shroud. I did that, added brackets and insulation to the piece I had removed and have it bolted back in place. If I have to pull that fan bearing I'll be able to remove that piece and get to the fan through that opening.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #18

Iwould like to make the statement, that , You all take the Bed up and Visuly look at the top of the Fan housing Between the Pully and the block (there in only about 1/2 inch gap) for the grease fitting ; As some did have a fitting and some didn't; LOOK FOR YOUR SELF;;;; and do not believe all you hear or read On this Matter... Life is good;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
In a thread going around about cleaning the radiator it was suggested to cut a hole about 7X8 inches in the top of the fan shroud. I did that, added brackets and insulation to the piece I had removed and have it bolted back in place. If I have to pull that fan bearing I'll be able to remove that piece and get to the fan through that opening.
That's a terrific idea for replacing the bearing hub. I don't think I can do it myself but as a suggestion to the Freightliner shop it might save me a bundle of money if they could do that instead of pulling the radiator to get to the hub.

Tags
fan, journey