Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey door lock failure

The lower lock (not the dead bolt) on my entry door is no longer working. At first I thought it was my worn key since the back up key would work the lock. Made new key and lubed the lock and it has worked for about one season, now it cannot be opened/closed with either key.

Anyone repair or replace this lock?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have an '01 Journey with a lock from Trimark and it failed after about 7 years. I was locked out of my coach and fortunately my rear window was unlocked and I was able to get in.

After messing with it I got it to work for awhile but eventually had a tech work on it. On an extended trip it failed again and we were concerned about getting locked out (or in) and so I communicated with Trimark and got a new door lock. You should consider that.

It was fairly easy to install.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Gary,

I had mine out not long ago, and its not hard at all to change the outer portion of the lock assembly. The inner part is a bit more difficult, requiring a very thin wall socket to go through a hole in the edge of the door. The lock cylinders are on the outside part though.

How's the paint job holding up? Mine required a little rework, but ended up looking good(5 coats of clear ought to look good)
Dale

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Does the door lock need to be periodically lubed with either silicone spray or some graphite? Or are these locks made like the rest of the coach, manufactured to fail? I have a 19 year old Honda that has never had anything done to the door locks and they all work perfect, but my 2004 Meridian is a different horse all together and the door lock would be the last thing I would expect to fail.

Good luck getting yours fixed. Getting locked in would be bad enough, but locked out, what a purdiciment. My wife insists all doors and windows be locked at all times.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Good luck getting yours fixed. Getting locked in would be bad enough, but locked out, what a purdiciment. My wife insists all doors and windows be locked at all times.

Wagonmaster2

I'm just wondering what window would be the cheapest to break and still be able to get my fat butt through.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking52 View Post
Gary,

I had mine out not long ago, and its not hard at all to change the outer portion of the lock assembly. The inner part is a bit more difficult, requiring a very thin wall socket to go through a hole in the edge of the door. The lock cylinders are on the outside part though.

How's the paint job holding up? Mine required a little rework, but ended up looking good(5 coats of clear ought to look good)
Dale
I will take a look at the lock this weekend. Did you get a new lock from Winnebago or some other source?

Sent you a PM. Curious what re-work they had to do on your paint job. So far, so good on mine.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

changed lock/handle today

My entry door deadbolt (outside) was getting difficult to lock and unlock with the key. I had to wiggle and jiggle sometimes for a half dozen times before it would work.

I called Litchsinn motors with my serial number and discussed my situation with Lonnie ... he called Winnebago and they suggested a new lock ... they sent the lock /handle (inside and outside) within a week.

My friend and I replaced the inside and outside lock mechanism this afternoon (we did not replace the latch itself because it seemed to work fine) and it aligned perfectly with the lock /handle. We used a torkx bit and a a Phillips screwdriver.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

And how much did Winne want for Ernie's new lock? Both my dead bolt and lower lock are acting up so I plan to replace the entire assembly.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I don't remember where I saw it (maybe here?), but there was a thread of these things locking you out, and exactly where to drill through the assembly to get in. I plan on moving that post to my iPhone just in case.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i'd like to know exactly what brakes on these locks
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Try a locksmith?
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Question

Sorry to hi-jack but this is close.

When I got my 2000 Journey, the dealer only had 2 keys for it. The ignition and regular door key.

The ignition seems to almost fit the deadbolt but won't turn it. Is it suppose to be the right one or should there be another.

I've had a couple of spare Ignition keys made but nobody seems able to make a spare door key, guess I will have to go to a Winnebago dealer for one.

The deadbolt works from the inside so not a real problem but would like to know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The deadbolt key should be different from the other keys.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Have you tried to contact Winnebago Customer Services

1-800-537-1885

to find out if they can supply you the code for the dead bolt key ... the (TriMark) key stock is probably available from you local locksmith ... the locksmith should be able to cut the key from the code.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

You can also buy the key (providing you know the code for it) directly from TriMark --- I have purchased extra keys for my motor home and have them in case I lose one set. One set is in the compartment where the propane tank is located (that compartment can't be locked) in a real estate key lock device.