Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Journey DL Diesel vs Vista 32k

I am looking at replacing my 02 sightseer 30b with either an 03 journey DL with 25k miles or a vista 32k with 16k miles. I am concern that journey is 13 years old it I know they say diesels are better engines. We use it 2 weeks a month for 4-5 hour one way drive to boondock 1 weekend campsite the other. Over the summer we will be traveling several 14 hour drives. I have only been RVing for a year so looking for more experienced opinions!!
Theresacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You didnt say what year the vista is. Also, what are the price differences? If they are comparable, and they are both in great shape, i would go with the journey
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

03 journey vs 09 vista

The journey DL is 03 and the vista is 09. Journey is with a dealer and after my trade it is 34k. Vista is private seller at 44, which means I have to sell my camper on my own. Kinda worried about that being a woman. Journey will have new tires vista I have to buy. The journey is is nice shape but being 03 I worry about roof and overall rusting.

Thanks!!
Theresacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a 35' Adventurer, a 38' Suncruiser and now the Journey. They were all great but the Journey is far and away better for traveling. Once you stop the are all about the same, except our Journey has much more room. It does cost a lot more to maintain, but it's worth it to us.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think you should hire an independent rv mechanic to get a look at the journey for you. If it looks good, go for the journey.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Apples to apples, both in good mechanical and physical condition, the Journey will just be getting broken in when the Vista is about to retire. They are simply in a different class. And when resale comes up the Journey will be WAY higher if well treated

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The Journey being 13 years old will need a lot done to it, tires ($6k), Oil and filter changes($400), Transmission fluid change($600),
Now for the Vista, Tires($4k) Oil and filter($100), Transmission fluid($400).
Yes there may be more maintenance due on both so lets add another $1K.
Now as far which one do you like the best and which one will be better for you in the long run?
Make sure all equipment works properly, not just "yes it works fine" Test it your self. Check the manufactured date on the tires, don't believe them unless they have the sales slip for new tires.
If you are only going to use it for short rides, gasser is just fine, actually the gasser is fine on long trips too, I should know I drove mine across the USA and it drove just fine.
Chose your floor plan and take it and enjoy.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Journey tires are $4k, not 6, and that's for OEM Michelin through FMCA, and it's easy to find other manufacturers cheaper from there, but the OP already said they are new, so zero that one out. It's also possible, and likely that the original owner went for synthetic transmission fluid over the factory fluid that would have automatically extended the warranty and excluded to need to change it again, if ever. Oil may or may not be needed but a quick sample to Blackstone will answer that and LOTS of other questions about both of them.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Journey tires are $4k, not 6, and that's for OEM Michelin through FMCA, and it's easy to find other manufacturers cheaper from there, but the OP already said they are new, so zero that one out. It's also possible, and likely that the original owner went for synthetic transmission fluid over the factory fluid that would have automatically extended the warranty and excluded to need to change it again, if ever. Oil may or may not be needed but a quick sample to Blackstone will answer that and LOTS of other questions about both of them.
I believe that the synthetic fluid has to be changed every 5 years unless the computer states earlier.
However, as I stated a lot depends on your ability to perform certain task to check on the actual maintenance.
As I said, pick the floor plan you like best and go for it. they both have their good and bad sides.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Before you make a decision take a walk through each of the motorhomes. I think you'll find there are considerable differences in many of the standard features and amenities. The Vista is a an entry level coach. As such it doesn't necessarily have the same quality appliances, entertainment system, upholstery, etc. etc. as the Journey. Obviously they will both have heating, cooling, water and all the other systems needed for travel and camping. However there's a reason there were considerable differences in prices when new.

Here's a link to the 2003 Journey brochure:
http://winnebagoind.com/resources/br...ourney-bro.pdf

Compare it to the 2009 Vista:
http://winnebagoind.com/resources/br...a-Brochure.pdf

In the current lineup the Vista starts at $93,545.00. The Journey starts at $278,948.00.

The starting price point of the Journey is three times that of the Vista. I would expect not only a better chassis, I would also expect more and higher end standard and optional amenities.

I noticed in the 2009 Vista brochure it didn't mention an automatic transfer switch to change from shore power to generator power. If it doesn't have a transfer switch you'll have to manually change the power cord from the generator to shore power when you want to change power sources.

Tags
diesel, journey