Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile Journey Cat valve adjust

Got it done at last. I have been holding off getting the valves adjusted on our 2001 Journey 36GD Cat engine. Called all over the Minneapolis/St Paul area and got prices of $400 - 600.00.

Yesterday I drove up to Boyer Ford in Rodgers MN, closed my eyes and said "Just do it." Waited in their very nice driver lounge about 3 hours and saw my coach come out of the garage. They even washed it.

OK, I thought, now for the hard part. Happy day they only charged me $275.00 and then took $25.00 off that as a first timer with them.

I know a good thing when I see it. These very nice people have a loyal customer in me.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How many miles on your coach? Let us know if it helps your fuel mileage
Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Miles on rig???

Hawkeye,

Bought the 2001 Journey one year ago with 40K miles on it. Reading about the 330HP Cat told me 30K was the valve adjustment time.

I did not get the maintenance records as part of the sale. Dealer said the records did not exist. After the purchase I found the former owner, he told that he gave the complete maintenance records to the dealer and the valves had not been adjusted.

1. Dealer should have told me about the need for a valve adjustment or better yet had it done themselves.
2. Dealer should not lie to me about the records.

Oh well, one more lesson for the "Old Guy."

I agonozed over the valve adjust cost for the last year and 9,000 miles. Glad I had it done at 49K. Have only driven about 60 mile since so I can't comment on anyting regarding performance or mileage. We leave for Florida Thursday, so that will tell me more. Right now it sounds and drives the same.

Pine Tree
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had mine done at a Cat Dealer for 375.00 at 40,000 mi....Tech said that they were not far off...Would have done it myself but I wanted the paperwork for my extended warranty...Don't notice any difference...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Got it done at last. I have been holding off getting the valves adjusted on our 2001 Journey 36GD Cat engine. Called all over the Minneapolis/St Paul area and got prices of $400 - 600.00.

Yesterday I drove up to Boyer Ford in Rodgers MN, closed my eyes and said "Just do it." Waited in their very nice driver lounge about 3 hours and saw my coach come out of the garage. They even washed it.

OK, I thought, now for the hard part. Happy day they only charged me $275.00 and then took $25.00 off that as a first timer with them.

I know a good thing when I see it. These very nice people have a loyal customer in me.

Pine Tree
Boy, did you ever find a jewel of a shop. Foley's in Wichita, Ks charged me $450 and it only took the tech 2 hours to do the work. I'd sure keep in contact with that shop for any other work you will undoubedly need in the future.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

CAT engine valve adjust

I was reading this thread and wanted to give my experience. At the end of 2005 I was driving leaving Jacksonville, FL and was losing power. I stopped at a TA and could smell diesel from the oil dipstick. After getting the coach towed to the St. Augustine CAT dealer I was informed that one of the valves was bent ant they all needed adjustment. This was after 40,000 miles on an 2001 Itasca Horizon. Since I only had the coach a year, I was thinking the dealer should of done the adjustment prior to the purchase. My thought is don't ever depend on the dealer for chassis maintenance items.

FYI my fuel mileage has increased from 7.2 to 8.8 in the six years I have using the coach.
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
I was reading this thread and wanted to give my experience. At the end of 2005 I was driving leaving Jacksonville, FL and was losing power. I stopped at a TA and could smell diesel from the oil dipstick. After getting the coach towed to the St. Augustine CAT dealer I was informed that one of the valves was bent ant they all needed adjustment. This was after 40,000 miles on an 2001 Itasca Horizon. Since I only had the coach a year, I was thinking the dealer should of done the adjustment prior to the purchase. My thought is don't ever depend on the dealer for chassis maintenance items.

FYI my fuel mileage has increased from 7.2 to 8.8 in the six years I have using the coach.
Sadly, I've found you can't rely on anyone to have done PM on a used coach and even if they said they did you can't trust it was done right. I've spent well over a year ironing out a variety of issues on mine but I've gotten a hell of an education and am gaining confidence that she's just about there. No substitute for reading the manuals, following these forums, and rolling up your sleeves.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Amazing!!!! Following the valve adjust fuel economy has gone from 7.5 MPG to just over 9 MPG in 1200 miles. The average conditions have varied from a dead ahead wind so strong I had to slow to 55MPH to hold the rig in 6th gear to slight wind on the tail end. I drive a steady 60MPH and am very pleased with the new mileage.

Pine tree