Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help! My Freightliner chassis air bags will not inflate. Today, as I was checking the coach for a trip, I tried bring the chassis up to traveling level. I brought the slides in, the levelers up, closed the door, started the engine, and waited for the chassis to rise. After 10 minutes, no motion at all with the air bags.

This is not the first time. In Apache Junction, when leaving for the day's travel, the air bags also did not deploy. I called my service provider, and they towed me to Freightliner in Tolleson and they replaced the main air valve which controlls both front and rear air bags (believing that was the probable cause, since they could not get the air bags to not rise) and we experienced a few weeks of proper operation. So today, I am dismayed at the prospect of having to find someone to try to figure out the cause of the problem.

Is there something which interlocks on the 2004 Journey and the Freightline chassis which is a mystery to me. I really need help.

Wendell
AA4WP
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Help! My Freightliner chassis air bags will not inflate. Today, as I was checking the coach for a trip, I tried bring the chassis up to traveling level. I brought the slides in, the levelers up, closed the door, started the engine, and waited for the chassis to rise. After 10 minutes, no motion at all with the air bags.

This is not the first time. In Apache Junction, when leaving for the day's travel, the air bags also did not deploy. I called my service provider, and they towed me to Freightliner in Tolleson and they replaced the main air valve which controlls both front and rear air bags (believing that was the probable cause, since they could not get the air bags to not rise) and we experienced a few weeks of proper operation. So today, I am dismayed at the prospect of having to find someone to try to figure out the cause of the problem.

Is there something which interlocks on the 2004 Journey and the Freightline chassis which is a mystery to me. I really need help.

Wendell
AA4WP
Old 07-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Wendell,

When I push the "Jacks store" button on my HWH leveling panel on my coach the airbags start to inflate.

Freightliner supplied the air system and probably the solenoid admitting air to the suspension. However it seems that the control over that solenoid is handled by the HWH system.

You might want to check with both HWH and FCCC customer service and see what they have to say.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have had this issue in the past when manually dumping the air. It took me 20 min crawling around before before I went and hit STORE and let the system close the dump valves. Live & learn..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hello, all.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful replies. Just after I posted the query, I searched the forum with the term: "air bags". I should have done that first. There were some good ideas there, too. Also, I think that the travel insurance people should have suggested what you all suggested, but probably didn't know of the "store" button requirement. Actually, when one brings the levelers up, one presses "store"; evidently the signal didn't make the journey from the "store" button to the air valve in the air bag system. Anyway, as we all like to say: "Live and learn".

Thanks again to all.

Wendell Pyles (AA4WP (my vanity call sign))
Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Wendall ...

Don't feel bad ... it took me a long time to figure this out ...

I generally retract my slides ... then turn the switch to auxiliary position and hit store ... that lets the jacks retract without any bells dinging (which I destest) ... then I start my engine ... it took me a long time to figure out that I needed to hit the [store] after starting the engine to
a) inflate the bags
b) prevent bells ringing while travelling ...

So now every time I start my engine I hit the [store] button ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I hit the 'store' button to retract the jacks and let the system lights go out before I start the engine. I then press the 'rabbit' button which inflates the bags.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sorry...no rabbit button.....

Where may I get one????
Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I guess different models have different procedures. Mine, HWH 625 System, according to the owners manual - to deploy jacks, key in on position or accs, engine off. Hit the button. Air bags deflate as the first step in the leveling sequence. To retract the jacks, start the engine, then hit the auto-store button. Air bags inflate as part of that sequence.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AA4WP:
Sorry...no rabbit button.....

Where may I get one???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure you can if your HWH system doesn't have it. My dealer told me the air bags will inflate on their own if the 'store' sequence is followed. Once the engine is started on mine, if I have stored the jacks and let the system lights go off, the bags inflate slowly. The 'rabbit' feature accelerates the inflation so you can get underway more quickly...at least that is what the tech told me when I got the rig. He also had a Journey of the same model year so he seemed to know the rig pretty well.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The bags are also supposed to inflate (if they haven't already) when the transmission is put into gear...

Also if you have initiated the store procedure without the engine running you may not have sufficient pressure/volume to rapidly inflate the bags.

Another recommendation is to let the let the HWH controller time-out or turn itself off (10 mins. or so) rather than manually shutting it off after initiating the store process -- it will ensure that the jacks are fully retracted. So, if you do the store before turning on the engine, I'd reissue the store command after engine is running and let the unit turn itself off in due time.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

diesellabs:

Well, the airbags did not inflate when I put the coach in gear. Held it in place with both foot brake pedal and with park brake engaged. The only thing that seems to work is the "store" button, but evidently not always, key in acc or key in run either way. Probably a lazy air valve, just like some lazy switches found elsewhere in the coach.
I examined somewhat the literature from WI and HWH and nowhere did I find a connection from the leveler panel to an air bag valve. Not anywhere is there reference to the store button except to say "the store light will be on while travelling" but I find that to be incorrect.

So, thank goodness there are other Journey owners who can help.

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The first time this happened to me we had not used our MH in a while and as we drove off with a kind of peculiar bounce I managed to convince my self that the tires were just "squared" from sitting to long. Hey, I know that sounds dummer then a post but we were loaded and ready to go and hadn't been in a while... So before we drove out of the storage area I managed to grasp the reality that maybe that rapid bounce was not so normal. So stopped and called FreightLiner. They were very helpful. They even showed me where the air bag valve reset button was under the coach. But it was not necessary to use it and not sure I would as clearances seem marginal. Anyway, I just cycled the jacks down and up and once the store light was out the air bags inflated and off we went with my C0-Pilot, with that big beautiful smile of hers, asking about those so called square tires!

Now I just make sure the store light is out and I have not had another incident. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi, SteveG

Our experience with air bags was very similar to yours. We had left the RV Park in Apache Junction last February, heading for Tucson. The ride was quite bumpy, and at first I suspected the toad was not properly hooked up. I've messed up there also. So I disconnected the Jeep and drove on down the road, hoping that was the problem; it wasn't. I spied a nice church with a large parking lot, and headed there to sort things out. I called the travel insurance company and explained the problem; they made all arrangements to have me towed to Freightliner in Towson, AZ; about as far west of Phoenix as we were east. This was about 10:00 AM; later that afternoon the fellow with the flatbed said that he had to tow a fire engine first; called back around 6:00 PM and said he was in Wickenburg and was going to try to get to me tonight; would tomorrow be OK??? I informed me we had no where to go and didn't want to dry camp in a church lot. So he finally arrived around 10:00 PM, got us loaded on the flatbed, which was an experience worthy of another chapter. He carefully approximated the height our MH and figured we could pass under an underpass fifteen feet and six inches. Actually we passed under one fifteen feet three inches. What a thrill....We still have nightmares. We were following right behind in our jeep and that was a night to remember. If we had not had the airbag confusion, we would have missed that great experience. Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along for your entertainment.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I always read to retract the jacks then start the engine to air up the bags, but this spring while in Forest City the tech said he always started the engine first so the bags could air up partially while the load is off them, then start the leveler retraction. Also, he said at the same time you can start retracting the slide-outs which will give the slide-out motors more power with the engine running instead of getting only the power from the chassis batteries when the engine is not running. I've only tried this procedure once and couldn't tell if the bags really aired up until the jacks were completely retracted or not. Kind of confusing considering what the written procedures are.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

wagonmaster2:

I always bring the slides in before bringing the levelers up. Usually when I hit the store button the coach drops quickly, putting a lot of stress on the overhanging slide (front one especially). OK on starting the engine first to supplement amps to the HWH pump; good to do that. On the matter of the front slide, it likes to rub against the mirrow on the rear wall adjacent to the rear slide wall. Thank goodness the "wood" trim is made from papier mache. Someday I may glue the fragments back together...
Wendell (AA4WP)
Old 07-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

as it states in many manuals for leveling systems. It is highly recomended to have engine running and tanks full of air before retracting all or storing all jacks, (depends of how it is worded in your system). because that valve needs a lot of pressure to seal the system and inflate the air bags. This is a normal condition and it does not mean there`s something wrong. My two cents. good luck
busa is offline   Reply With Quote