Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Journey 39K

In May 10, we purchased an 04 Journey 39K, Cat 330 C-7 w/ 9300 mi and in showroom condition. It had "zero" books on it, I had to scrounge, copy, download all applicable owners manuals, info booklets on the chassis and coach. We have put almost 15K mi. on it since and no major problems. I had all the engine/tranny/chassis services either done or did it myself. A few issues with the curb slide, but solvable. HWH system gave us fits as there are 10 solenoids on the pump(jacks, slide retract, extend, etc.) Two of them leaked and had to have them replaced. One replacement even leaked again. This model does not show up in the W. Ind. Product brochures for 04 as it was developed in late 03.

Anyway, I was wondering if many people have this model, I think they only made it to or thru 07. Would be interested in sharing common issues, resolutions, upgrades, etc.

Doorguy
04 Journey 39K
02 Dakota 4X toad
Night Shift Auto Braking system
Roadmaster Falcon
One wife who always likes the last m/h better than the present one.
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 39W Journey ... send me messages with any questions (except for the curbside slide)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Doorguy,
We have an 05 39k which we purchase 2/10 and have driven about 11k since.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2004 39K that we bought in March 2010. We have put about 20K miles on it since then - the problems we have had are: The engine fan bearing failed. The circuit board for the slides/jacks failed. The refrigerator was one of the Norcold models recalled. The sat dish does not work. Near the first of this month the propane tank started leaking at a weld (Forest City replaced the tank at no charge - I'm very happy with Winnebago since this is an out of warranty RV) Fuel economy usually is between 7.5 and 8.2 mpg. This is our 4th motorhome and the nicest and we enjoy it very much. Don't hesitate so send a message if you have specific questions.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We bought our 2005 39K in October 2009. Did the Norcold recall and have had no other problems.

Ronnie
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Journey 39K

Hey guys, thanks for the replies on the 39K. One modification I made recently was to remove the analog hunker of a tv in the bedroom(it swings out above the w/d cabinet). I cut/modified the steel support bracket and installed a small Visio flat screen on the inside of the door. This created a huge storage area in that cabinet. Plus, there is no more weight on that door assembly.

Also, for Journey, Horizon and Meridian owners of 03-07 model years, we all have the problem of the entry door hyper-extending in high winds which will damage the small retaining hinge(expensive to replace) and if the door swings too far forward, the glass can be damaged by the mirror.
I found a solution: Their is a door stop available that bolts on the body at the lower hinge and it keeps the door from going past 90 degrees. I found it quite by accident and the source is 3t's RV Products, Inc., Lake Havasu City, AZ. 800-223-1779, 3t'srv.com They are super people to deal with and are authorized W. and HWH repair facility. Their website shows a picture of it, look it up under products. It costs right at $150 and they will ship. Considering the cost of replacing that door window is $600.00,(had to do it cuz the seal leaked) this is cheap insurance. We like to sit with the door open most of the time and if there is any wind blowing from rear to front, it keeps the door steady. Haven't figured out how to keep the door from blowing closed in opposite wind direction except for a bungie cord wrapped around the mirror arm. My project next week is to take up the carpet from the steps and between thefront seats and install Allure vinyl floor strips to make a walk-off area during inclement weather. We chose the Brazilian Cherry color as it compliments the cherry cabinets well. Look forward to any inputs of all of you on any improvements you've made.

doorguy
04 Journey 39K
02 Dakota 4x
Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi 1ciderdog. Our auto sat. dish doesn't work either, it is the software and it is no longer avail. It will raise and search but not stop when locating the sat. I have to watch the signal meters and keep my finger on the "off" button so when it reads a good signal, I hit the button and it stops. This can be tricky as sometimes the signal only last for a second. Gotten used to it tho, will replace in future with Wingards new low profile sat, only 12.5 inches high vs. the 15 in of previous model.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Replacing the rear TV is my next project. Do you have pictures of the mounting modifications? It will be nice to get rid of that weight.

We just installed a Trav'ler antenna which is working very well. It replaced an RMDM 46 manual dish which was a hassle and non-HD.

Of the things I have done to the coach the biggest bang for the buck was adding the Tric L Start to keep the chassis batteries topped off. Cheapest mod, tool.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Another 39K owner here, 2007 model year with the CAT 350. Currently have 35K miles on it and have been very pleased with its performance.

I have not had any major problems, did have the standard Norcold upgrade done on it. I have a King Dome in motion sat dome, on occasion it can be finiky, but all in all a nice to have option, keeps the grandkids happy underway.

We'll be setting off this summer on our full time life with it. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote