Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey 36M residential refrigerator model number

hi,
As luck would have it, after washing my 2012 36m journey, the Norecold refrigerator is flashing the dreaded oP L1. I plan to do more investigation tomorrow to reset the high temperature sensor and bypassing the control boards.

In the mean time, what model residential refrigerator is Winnebago shipping in the Journey 36m?

I'm just gathering background information if I need to replace the norcold with something more reliable.

Same thing happened 9 months in on the warranty and Winnebago already replaced the cooling unit once.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 08-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have your twin, a 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M with a Whirlpool 3-door Residential Refrigerator Model #WRF540CWBM. We love love love it!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2015 Sightseer, 35G. We have a norcold ref. The other day in heavy rain while parked, it beeped and displlayed the op l1 error message. The lit. says it is not user servicable and to contact repair service. I shut it down and after about 20 minutes I was able to start it again. I would think that Norcold could fis this by now, or Winnebago should have stopped using this receiver...
Old 08-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have a Maytag - the MH is not at home so can not give you the model number - note the package included a 2.8K invertor and 2 batteries also
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ed - you might have gotten water on the recall box behind the fridge. That could cause the fridge to shut down. Check for the smell of ammonia to see if the fridge actually failed. You might find that the recall box resets itself when it dries out. You should also Google resetting the box if you are satisfied that there are no gas leaks. I believe it involves holding a magnet in the center of the box while power is being supplied to the fridge. You want to be absolutely sure that the fridge is OK and you do so at your own risk.
I had one fail on a summer Saturday because I had turned off all battery power to the coach with the fridge running. With no exhaust fans operating, the flue overheated and shut the fridge down - just as the recall box is designed to do! I found that out an hour later when I restored power to the coach. Not a fun thing with a full fridge. I replaced mine with the Samsung Rf-197 which fits in the Norcold opening. I doubt that the fridges Winnebago are currently installing will fit in your opening unless the res fridge was an option in your model year. Most fridges are much deeper than the Norcold although some "counter depth" fridges such as the Samsung will. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
We have a Maytag - the MH is not at home so can not give you the model number - note the package included a 2.8K invertor and 2 batteries also
Do you mean 2 additional batteries??? For a total of 6 house batteries? I believe they are AGM's too, which are double the price of wet cell bat.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yes I gave a total of 6 batteries
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Update - no ammonia smell, no residue. When I bypassed the recall box, the refrigerator cooled normally to 40 deg F in refrigerator, 0 deg in freezer in 3 hours.

I'll try re-setting the recall box this morning when I go down to the barn.
Ed
Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

2nd update. I re-installed the recall high temperature box and was able to reset it after the unit had cooled down overnight. No issues all day, the unit cooled as normal. tomorrow I will take the box apart and spray the printed circuit board with spray varnish to hopefully make it more water proof in the future.
Ed

Tags
refrigerator, journey