Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey 36G questions

Hi to all,
I am the new owner of a 2004 Journey 36G with a 350 hp Cat C7. The first owner owned until 2018 and service records were unavailable to the second owner when he purchased it, so I have very little hard information. I'm optimistic about the condition of the HEUI pump and have a plan there. I called Cat to check if their records showed anything regarding the 30K valve adjustment or records of an upgrade to the ECM, and they showed nothing has been done in their records (but can't say that it hasn't been done). So my questions are;
1. Should the valve adjustment be checked anyways and is it a priority?
2. The current ECM Cat C7 code is 3410H00, is it likely that I need an upgrade?
3. The dash has gauges for front an rear air tanks, so I'm guessing that I only have two. I've read that there are two lanyards behind the passengers front wheel (which I've found) to release accumulated water in the tanks. Are these the only two and do I just let the tanks get to around 60 psi and give 'em a little tug to bleed them off, and how often? That's it for this post, thanks for any input!
Out N About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2001 horizon so a bit older but the same platform for the most part. On the valve adjustment, I bough my rig in 2015 with 33,000 miles on it and assumed it was not done. I am handy with tools and there is a great video on line from adept ape that shows you how do do this yourself. If you have ever done a valve adjustment on any motor this process is the same, this is not difficult to do if your handy. Long story short, I did this myself and my valves were not out of adjustment. So if its not running poorly i would let that ride for awhile, Otherwise its about 300.00 or more to have it done.

One the ECM, I would just call a dealer on that get the 411 on the necessity and cost.

Lastly on draining the the tanks i have done this several time and I have never had moisture escape. Having said that i have been on top of my Air dryer maintenance and filter replacement. They are supposed to be replaced every three years. so I would start there. its also easy to do yourself. You can order the parts on line, use a strap filter wrench and swap it out. also lots of videos and DIY on line.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2005 36g and also have never had any water come out of the air tanks. Checked valve adjustment around 30k and did not find any valves out by much at all. I have owned it since new and have never had any ECM upgrades and not aware that any are available.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey