Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

A hydraulic oil puddle has been forming underneath the A/C condenser fins which are located at the rear on the driver's side. The A/C condenser is covered with oil. Repair service is not available until mid March. So to make sure there is adequate hydraulic oil left to operate the slides and jacks until repair is available I opened the manual to find out how to check the HWH hydraulic oil level. Being relatively new I spent some time finding the HWH reservoir cap. The book says under the step. I initially thought that a step thread might be removable for easy access to the HWH pump, valve and tank. The Winnebago help desk explained that I needed to crawl under to find the HWH reservoir cap.

With the first entry step out I slid under feet first on the creeper and looking up the tank was obvious. I had to feel around on top of the tank as it is impossible to see. I found a cap and after wiping around the tank to remove any dirt I unscrewed it and it more or less looked like the dip stick cap shown in the Winnebago manual.

But there was no way that I could "pour" in the oil. Luckily I had a new 30 cc syringe and about 14" of tubing I was saving to add battery water into the "hidden" third house battery. So slowly but surly I pumped in about 1.25 quarts of HWH oil. It was a little time consuming but at least not messy.

I can not tell what exactly is leaking: hose or ram or both. But it looks like the hoses and ram mounted up against the floor that are covered with oil are the likely suspects.

Does anyone know if they will have to remove the A/C condenser to do the repair?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A hydraulic oil puddle has been forming underneath the A/C condenser fins which are located at the rear on the driver's side. The A/C condenser is covered with oil. Repair service is not available until mid March. So to make sure there is adequate hydraulic oil left to operate the slides and jacks until repair is available I opened the manual to find out how to check the HWH hydraulic oil level. Being relatively new I spent some time finding the HWH reservoir cap. The book says under the step. I initially thought that a step thread might be removable for easy access to the HWH pump, valve and tank. The Winnebago help desk explained that I needed to crawl under to find the HWH reservoir cap.

With the first entry step out I slid under feet first on the creeper and looking up the tank was obvious. I had to feel around on top of the tank as it is impossible to see. I found a cap and after wiping around the tank to remove any dirt I unscrewed it and it more or less looked like the dip stick cap shown in the Winnebago manual.

But there was no way that I could "pour" in the oil. Luckily I had a new 30 cc syringe and about 14" of tubing I was saving to add battery water into the "hidden" third house battery. So slowly but surly I pumped in about 1.25 quarts of HWH oil. It was a little time consuming but at least not messy.

I can not tell what exactly is leaking: hose or ram or both. But it looks like the hoses and ram mounted up against the floor that are covered with oil are the likely suspects.

Does anyone know if they will have to remove the A/C condenser to do the repair?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 02-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The steps inside the door are hinged to raise up, making it easy to access the hydraulic tank. Not sure about the leak, never had one.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Steve - Winnie is wrong, Gary is right. Remove one nut under the front edge of each step and they lift right up. Now we tell you!! Should have asked here instead of Winnie

I had a leak in that area. Luckily, I was still under warranty. Don't know what they did to fix it, but it didn't take long. Don't think they had to remove anything. Good Luck...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

BTW - nice rigs you and Gary have!!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have a Itasca Horizon and had several leaks in the bedroom slide that is the wardrobe. The slide has only one ram to push it out. There is a possible leak at the ram or at the hose. We had both. You may just tightten up these fittings and slow or stop the leak. The A/C radiator will have to be washed and the fans as well or you will collect dirt on them.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We had ours fixed under war, HWH has a 3 yr war. They had a bad batch of hoses around 2004.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have my MH in the dealer getting the ram replaced that pushes out the bedroom slide. I also blew out a seal on the ram causing the fluid to coat the AC condenser and fans. I talked to HWH today and the rep told me that they have had no significant problems with the hydraulic rams. I suggest calling them up and telling them your issue. It couldn't hurt, and you may benefit from the call.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the feedback. I had the tools out ready to disassemble and felt the nuts located under the center edge of each step. Then I thought, "measure twice and cut once." Normally I try to practice that old saying but my history is cluttered with a lot of re-cuts. So I dialed Winnie with the cell and usually the battery runs out before they answer. But the Winnie guy told me he did it from underneath! Lesson learned. But I digress.

The top surface of the stair is covered with linoleum with small round circles. Does that sound correct? In other words the nut is attached to a fixed stud so you can take the nut on and off with out having to old the stud part? And then just remove the steps, one or two that allow access?

Well I was pretty proud of myself for the squeezing idea. There I was looking like a mad scientist or something! But since I can't get it fixed until mid march I may need do fill the tank again so thanks for the tip.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Steve - The steps are hinged along the back edge of the tread. That nut is on a shaft that's solidly affixed to the front edge of the tread. No need to hold the shaft. The shaft fits down through a hole in the lip of the riser. Just take the nut off and lift the front edge of the step. You'll like it! It's like opening a toy box!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

As originally mentioned, I discovered a puddle of hydraulic fluid on our Journey 36G under the bedroom slide. Harberson RV in Holiday, FL did the repair and they replaced the hydraulic ram and a leaking hose. No clue why both failed. Also I had to have the A/C condenser cleaned to remove the hydraulic oil.

The 2004 is out of warranty and HWH did not agree to assist in providing replacement material. It seems odd to have such a hydraulic failure on a three year old RV.

Harberson did a good job. They were courteous, helpful and completed the repair when they said they would. So we are sliding again oil drip free and moving on next week to north Florida.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-