Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am looking at a Journey 36G with the 300 HP Cummings. I would be towing.

Would like feedback from owners of 36' Journeys with 300 HP cummings, regarding their experience with this rig and does it have sufficient power?

Is there any difference in the ride between the 36' and the 39'?

Thanks
SnoDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am looking at a Journey 36G with the 300 HP Cummings. I would be towing.

Would like feedback from owners of 36' Journeys with 300 HP cummings, regarding their experience with this rig and does it have sufficient power?

Is there any difference in the ride between the 36' and the 39'?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have 06 Meridian 36G with 350HP cat and 6 speed tranny. We tow a suburban, the cat does a good job and I don't feel we are under powered.

When I was researching the MH, I thought the Cummins engine was maxed out and 5 speed didn't allow much weight to be towed.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Journey 36G with the 330 hp Caterpillar C7 and tow a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I hardly know the Jeep is behind me. If I have the cruise control set, it usually drops about 5 mph on fairly decent hill climbs and maybe 10 mph on a good steep hill. I started off with a 32' gasser and towing this Jeep took everything my gasser had to offer to climb hills. On a good steep hill, I would have to move over to the far right because it would drop right down to 35-40 mph with nothing more to offer. I think you will be quite impressed if you decide to purchase the Journey. We have only had ours for a few months and absolutely love it. The other added benefit to the heavier diesel rigs is the stability you get when driving across open areas that have high wind gusts. I've mentioned this in other posts before but I feel it's important for people to know, in my experience, the gasser rigs are much lighter and can be quite nerve racking to drive in windy conditions as they blow around on the road quite easily. When I switched to my Journey, the difference was night and day. The heavier rig takes a lot more wind to move it around so it's much easier and more pleasant to drive.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

SnoDogs - looks like you're not finding the feedback you wanted and I don't have the 300 either, but maybe I can shed a little light.

The reason you're not getting feedback is that there doesn't seem to be many Cummins powered 36Gs out there. From reading this forum for several years, I've noticed there are a lot of 34Hs with the Cummins and 5 speed that the owners are very happy with. They both (34 & 36) have 2 slides and options for the big fridge and washer/dryer so I would guess there's not a big difference in weight when equally equipped.

In the past the transmission in that package limited the GCWR to 28000#. Since the GVWR was 27910#, the weight of anything you wanted to tow had to be taken out of your GVWR. The new units have a different transmission, still a 5 speed, but rated for 33000# - so that's not a problem anymore.

I like the Cummins engine. From being around it in campgrounds, it seems much quieter than my Cat (from outside, inside I barely hear the Cat).

You might try clicking on the "Find" button just above your post and enter "Cummins 300" (the correct spelling) and also try "Cummings 300" cause you're not the first to misspell it. There have been several discussions of this package in the past.

Lastly, if at all possible, try to drive both versions. If you're into drag racing motorhomes, the Cat C7 is probably best, but you probably will find the Cummins package more than adequate.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our Journey has a 330 Cat so can't pass on any first hand knowledge. We have what I consider ample power, get to the top of a 6% grade doing between 50 and 55mph.
Worked for Cummins for many years and that C engine is a good one. If I would have had a coice between a Cat or a Cummins, I would have chosen a Cummins soley based on my familiarity and experience with them. Don't really think that one is a lot better than the other.
30hp isn't much and doubt you would be able to tell the difference. Look at the torque specs, that's what will get you up the hills.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My journey is an '05, 36G with a 350 Cat.....wish I could directly answer your question but I did drive the 300 before we bought ours on two different dealers lots and didn't notice a big difference. (Of course we weren't towing either).

I tow a liberty and as others have said if the camera wasn't on I wouldn't know it was there! If your buying new, I know it is a big upgrade but my final decision was to move up to the 350 simply for resale value because I knew in '07 we would be getting a slightly bigger coach when I "partially" retire and will be trying to sell. Most of my decisions on this coach where made with that in mind.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

SnoDog, I am curious if the unit you are considering is the SE (Special Addition) model offered this past year? There are dozens of these units sitting around at various 'bago lots. They are optioned out nearly the same with a MSRP of about $175K. I have heard that they can be driven away for under $130K.

I have a 32 foot Journey that has plenty of power with the small Cummins. I don't believe that the extra 4 feet adds that much weight, but if you need to be the first one to the top, get the Cat.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shuffster:
SnoDog, I am curious if the unit you are considering is the SE (Special Addition) model offered this past year? There are dozens of these units sitting around at various 'bago lots. They are optioned out nearly the same with a MSRP of about $175K. I have heard that they can be driven away for under $130K.

I have a 32 foot Journey that has plenty of power with the small Cummins. I don't believe that the extra 4 feet adds that much weight, but if you need to be the first one to the top, get the Cat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one we were looking at was not a "SE"
However all has changed in that we are ordering a 2007 Journey 36G.

Thanks for your feed back