Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey 2010 and rust on Winnebago fabricated parts undercarriage area

Having now owned this Journey from new ,do you think Winnebago does any customer research on the products on the road, my coaches under carriage where Winnebago fabricated the support parts (metal) on the chassis are Rusting horribly . It appears they apply no Corrosion protection only black paint to these components kinda sad given the cost of these coach’s . And the rust I’m speaking of is this flaking degrading of the metal and not surface rust it’s happening on all of the Winnebago fabricated components .I’ve began treating with a product Called por-15 to combat it however think they should do some research so future owners of coaches don’t suffer this issue
tonyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

First thing I did with the '02 Wiinie I bought that had original owners from Minnesota was to apply by brush, and squirt bottle, Jasco Prep & Primer. It's phosphoric acid I believe. Whatever it is, it changes the rust back into metal...I checked on it before application, turns out it's been used for over a century as a rust preventative and stabilizer. Not as strong as the original metal after treatment but at least it slows the progression of rusting and prevents future rust. Costs $8/qt so not an expensive choice either. Using the squirt bottle, and applying it liberally, I still have part of that first quart I bought.

After 3 years, no further rusting. There were a couple places where the rust was bad enough that I hit it with a brass rotary wire wheel before treatment and brushed it on heavily but for the most part, the rust is stable now.

Much of the rust was on components that are thick and not likely to rust through in 100 years. As long as I stay out of the rust belt and avoid their ridiculous application of salt to the roads that is.

You are right that perhaps they should treat the undercarriage with a rust preventative but I've never heard of an inexpensive treatment and that makes all the difference to them.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, journey, parts, rust, winnebago