Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey 2006 39K, dip stick hard to get in

Our Journey has the Cat 350 engine. Has anyone had difficulty getting the oil dip stick back into the engine? I need to twist it at least 360 degrees to get it back in. I am afraid that it might break off one of these times. The unit is new to me, so I don't know the history. Thanks
Rogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogh View Post
Our Journey has the Cat 350 engine. Has anyone had difficulty getting the oil dip stick back into the engine? I need to twist it at least 360 degrees to get it back in. I am afraid that it might break off one of these times. The unit is new to me, so I don't know the history. Thanks
Rogh,
Not long ago, there was an identical thread on the very same subject. Many reported the same problem. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP (same exact engine only with a different flash on the computer) has never had any issues with re-insertion of the dip stick into its home. But, on that other thread, some suggested taking the very tip of it and bending it over to form a rolled edge that would prevent it from catching on any sharper surface inside that tube. They say, (they being some on here) that the dip stick tube is comprised of two parts and the lower part is inserted into the upper part and therefore, it is the sharp edge of the lower tube that is stumbling block for the tip of the dip stick to be easily inserted.

Again, I've never had such issues with mine. And, what's meant by bending the tip is, the VERY TIP, just bend it as close to a 180 degree bend as possible. There will be no difference in oil level readings. The level is the level, it will still register in the same spot as it did before any bend was placed on the tip. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Fire Up! I will try a little bend it and see if that corrects the issue. Let you know.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well I put a small bend in the dip stick tip and it helped. I was unable to make a 360 bend and when I got any where close to 90 degrees it hung up worse. The 30 degree bend that I have put in works better than it did with no bend. Still a pain in the......
Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogh View Post
Thanks Fire Up! I will try a little bend it and see if that corrects the issue. Let you know.
I had the same issue. You do not need a circle. Mine is a u shaped bend. You just need a rounded feature on the dipstick to get it past whatever obstruction is in the way.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I took the lead off this morning and everything still worked. Followed the wire and it goes to the towing plug. The previous owner had an electronic brake controller for the tow vehicle. I use a different system for the tow brakes. I suspect this was to power his brakes in the tow vehicle. The device is two circuit breakers in parallel. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Disregard my previous post. That was intended for a different thread I was working.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Maybe grind the end of the dip stick so edges are radiased.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey