Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Journey 12 to 6 volt Wiring

I want to convert my three 12 volt batteries in my 2006 Journey to four 6 volt batteries. Can anybody refer me to a picture of the wiring for this setup or be kind enough to draw me a diagram so that I don't screw things up. I will be using four Trojen T-105's wired to a Dimensions 2000 watt inverter.

Thanks, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Smile Here is a diagram

If you scroll down about half way on this webpage you will find a diagram showing parallel connections of 12V batteries ... and the connections for 4 6V batteries connected to provide 12V power to your coach

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
If you scroll down about half way on this webpage you will find a diagram showing parallel connections of 12V batteries ... and the connections for 4 6V batteries connected to provide 12V power to your coach

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Thanks Skigramp, I have that information. What I was looking for was a picture or drawing showing where the wiring comming from the Dimensions inverter should hook up.

Sammie
Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You shouldn't have to worry about the inverter hookups. Just wire 2 sixes in series and then the two pair of sixes in parallel to the existing positive and negative connections that you have in the battery box.
Just make sure you get the series and parallels correct before hooking up to the current coach wiring. Use a VM on the parrallel ends to make sure you have 12 volts and you should be good to go.
Mark the current leads that you have in the battery box that connect to the 12V batteries before you remove the 2 12V batteries. Digital pictures before removing the wiring and the batteries also is a good idea.
Frank O.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sammie ...

On my coach (3 12V in Parallel) the cabling to the batteries requires some attention:

1) The charging ( from the alternator ) connects to the (+ ) terminal on one end of the bank and
2) The pickup connects to the (+) terminal on the other end of the bank.

And the corresponding (-) terminal connection is at the other end of the bank in both cases. It took me a while to figure this out ... they use this scheme so that all batteries have pretty similiar voltage drops.

You will be connecting two 6V batteries in series to make a 12V battery (more ampere hours ... but 12V) So you will be essentially going from 3 12V in Parallel to 2 12V in Parallel. I would think you would want your charging and pickups to connect to different ends of your 2 battery bank That is: charging (+) one end of the bank ... with it's negative connection at the other end of the bank ... and the pickup (+) at the other end .....
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks skigramp, now its starting to make some sense.

Sammie
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Do you intend to make the cables yourself? If so, you should be aware that the wire should be large (00 AWG or something like that) which means that proper crimping is not trivial. Also, how the cables are connected (how to provide proper strain relief) requires some knowledge. Exactly how the batteries are positioned (which way they are turned) is also of interest to maintain balance between 12-volt banks.

Anyway, just hooking the right terminals together is just the begining. I also like to paint the terminals with battery connector paint to help prevent corrosion and voltage drop.

It is easy to have enough differnece between battery banks so that one set provides most of the energy.

Just some thoughts, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I will give you the instant course in 12 volt to six volt conversions

You see there are no six volt batteries in RV's... I will now explain

If you were to strip your current install down to a single battery it would look like this

Grnd----{battery}----12 volt stuff

Now, if you go to just TWO six volt units you get

Grnd---{BAT}-T-{ERY}-----12 volt stuff

The only difference is that where in the first line you have one small 12 volt battery

In the second line you have one BIG 12 volt battery in 2 pieces

Save for cleaning (Clean all the terminals) think of each pair of paired six volt batteries as a single 12 volt and ALL your six/12 questions are easily answered