Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #61
Winnebago Master

dezrtracr and 530ktm be aware if you are filling with the city water fill valve and the gravity fill door is closed the water in the vent tube will not go into the tank but will go through the slot for the key catch into the coach. The door seals the gravity fill opening. Anytime I use the City water fill valve I open the gravity fill door. Been there!!
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:00 AM   #62
Winnebago Owner

Itasca Sunstar 30T water siphoning

Don't know why some of you are still struggling with this. Read post 18 and 36, it works, any thing else is just kidding yourself.

Not sure how to my comment more tactfully, lol, but there are over 60 posts!

Pete

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #63
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post
Don't know why some of you are still struggling with this. Read post 18 and 36, it works, any thing else is just kidding yourself.

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Pete,

How did you determine where to drill the holes in the bottom of the bathroom cabinet on your 30T?

Bill
Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #64
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
You have a good solution but some of us do not have the space or the floor layout to just rip a hole in the floor to make for a very attractive pipe system. I personally do not like the thought of having some pipe system sticking up through my bedroom floor. I have now put a valve in the line and will see how that works and it will look better than what you suggest in my coach.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #65
Winnebago Owner

My solution was addressing the situation in the 30T. If you have a different coach and you have the same problem, you will have to figure out your own solution.
I have attached some photos which may make the job easier to follow. This was a solution I came up with and carried out in a Home Depot Car park. The beauty of living on the road six months of the year!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435668690.147990.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	98743

This is looking up. The elbow has had a new piece of pipe added to take it out to the edge of the RV.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435668796.594824.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	98744

Here the new pipe is going through the panel toward the outside of the RVClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435668865.134813.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	98745

Another elbow turns the pipe forward to the corner of the compartment, then up through the floor into the hand basin cupboard.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435669019.261073.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	98746

This is the U bend made of two elbows inside the hand basin cupboard.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435669097.364100.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	98747

The pipe goes back down through the floor, into the compartment out of the way, in the corner, and then through the bottom of the compartment.

Hope this makes it easier to understand. The concept is to extend the vent pipe up enough so it won't siphon, but it has to be lead while under the coach to a point where it can go up into the coach to get the required height, in a place that is out of sight.

This would be much easier to achieve during the build process, but was not difficult to do in the car park! It's about having the confidence to drill holes in your new coach!

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #66
Winnebago Owner

Another caution re putting valves in vent lines, or having the "U" too high, or having the vent pipe to long or too small a bore, is that filling either via the city water supply or by shoving a hose down the gravity fill pipe, is that it is very easy to end up pressurising the tank to 5psi or even far more, and that WILL end up doing a lot of damage to either the tank, its supports, or to the surrounding vehicle structure.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #67
Winnebago Owner

Pete,

Thank you for the details on your modification. Yes, I see that it is likely
only applicable to the 30T motorhome layout which you and I both have.

Yesterday, I drove my 30T about 220 miles (San Francisco Bay Area to Reno) and the monitoring for my fresh water tank went from full to registering 1/3rd full at the end of the trip. My wife following me in our soon-to-be-toad car said I was losing water the entire time.

Did retire a couple weeks ago; so, I finally have time to deal with the issue.

Many thanks again.

Bill
Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #68
Winnebago Owner

Let me know if I can help with any more info or pix, and I am happy to chat on the phone.

Re the post before, everything we do relies on common sense, but your reminder may be timely as there is nothing common about common sense!

If filling with a 3/4 hose, air gets out around the hose as well as the vent, and the extended vent is the same bore as the original, although perhaps 5ft of 1/2 inch bore instead of just a few inches of 1/2 inch bore. Originally I was going to put a second 1/2 vent on the opposite side, but it works fine from empty to full with a high volume 3/4 hose filling through the gravity fill.

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Old 07-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #69
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Another caution re putting valves in vent lines, or having the "U" too high, or having the vent pipe to long or too small a bore, is that filling either via the city water supply or by shoving a hose down the gravity fill pipe, is that it is very easy to end up pressurising the tank to 5psi or even far more, and that WILL end up doing a lot of damage to either the tank, its supports, or to the surrounding vehicle structure.
Filling with the hose does not make an air tight situation and the inline vent valve is always open during the filling. The idea is to close the valve while driving so the water will not continually run out the vent line. I do not really understand why that vent is even there since the gravity fill port will properly vent the tank to begin with.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #70
Winnebago Owner

Shove a 3/4" hose down the gravity fill pipe a foot or two (as people do to stop it sliding back out) and turn the faucet on fully from a 100psi water supply and you WILL overpressurise the tank even with the normal skinny vent line wide open..
Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #71
Winnebago Owner

530 Kim

No it won't as the gravity fill does not go into the top of the tank, it goes into the side of the tank so a vent is needed at the top of the tank.

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #72
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
dezrtracr and 530ktm be aware if you are filling with the city water fill valve and the gravity fill door is closed the water in the vent tube will not go into the tank but will go through the slot for the key catch into the coach. The door seals the gravity fill opening. Anytime I use the City water fill valve I open the gravity fill door. Been there!!
I checked my coach this weekend to see if there was a slot in the gravity fill open to the floor area. On my coach, the slot is sealed, so running a vent tube to the gravity fill would be an option for me.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, itasca