Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Itasca Sunstar 30T Noise Behind Driver's Head

We have a new Sunstar (2013) & have one small problem we haven't been able to resolve. There is an intermittent banging noise behind the driver's head, seemingly coming from the forward wall of the driver's side forward slideout. It sounds like heavy wiring slapping against the wall intermittently depending on the roughness of the road. It pretty much goes away with smooth road & light wind conditions. I thought it might be the slideout awning, but that seems to be secure when I check it.

Anyone have any idea what this may be?

Thanks,
Cass
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There are many wires that run to the dr side slide that are attached the the slide ram/arm. With the slide out, check the wire that are on the slide arm to see if the are attached properly. Check all the weather seals on that slideout box. A seal could have gotten pinched or cut and could be floppong around. Your sure it is coming higher up the wall?
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Maybe it has something the do with the model year ending in 13. My Allegro 36la has the exact same thing, same place, same conditions. As I sit here thinking about it, I might be able to check for loose wires where they exit the wall behind the dinette. Is your dinette at the front of the slide as well?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Maybe it has something the do with the model year ending in 13. My Allegro 36la has the exact same thing, same place, same conditions. As I sit here thinking about it, I might be able to check for loose wires where they exit the wall behind the dinette. Is your dinette at the front of the slide as well?
Yes, my dinette is toward the front of the slide.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My coach is in storage right now so I can't check it out. Remove the cushions on the dinette and see it you have access to wires coming out for that front slide wall.
Let me know if you find a solution.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
My coach is in storage right now so I can't check it out. Remove the cushions on the dinette and see it you have access to wires coming out for that front slide wall.
Let me know if you find a solution.

I have the table & chairs, not a booth with cushions.

I have found some wires behind the TV & also in the top of the console behind the table that are loose & could rattle so I have secured those. But I'm not sure that was what I have been hearing that seemed to be coming from the slideout wall next to my head when driving. I can find no way to access the inside of that wall. We'll see in a couple of weeks when I have it on the road again.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have been racking my brain about your noise. Go for a drive with someone else onboard. Try to duplicate the noise, and have the passenger try to pin-point the location. I do not think there are wires in the forward wall of the buffet slide. You could on online to Winnebago's site and look up your coache's wiring diagram to see what might be in the area of the noise. Then take it to the dealer and take them for a drive too. Good Luck.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Took it to the dealer yesterday for the first time for warranty service & the service manager said they have had a bunch of new Class A's (not just Winnebagos) come in recently with the same problem. Apparently the mechanism for the slides has been changed recently on many new motor homes & cables in the wall are the culprit. He was confident they can fix it by removing the side of the wall & securing the cables.

I'll report back when its fixed.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Cass Sumrall has it right. I had the same problem with my 2013 Vista 37F, and took it in for service. They replaced the slide mechanism and the technician advised me that Winnebago had changed the mechanism due to many coaches with the same problem. I still have a slight noise, but it is MUCH better than before. I almost did not believe the technician at first, because I was so sure it sounded like a bundle of wires banging around inside the wall, but it seems he was right.
Texas Troope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Troope View Post
Cass Sumrall has it right. I had the same problem with my 2013 Vista 37F, and took it in for service. They replaced the slide mechanism and the technician advised me that Winnebago had changed the mechanism due to many coaches with the same problem. I still have a slight noise, but it is MUCH better than before. I almost did not believe the technician at first, because I was so sure it sounded like a bundle of wires banging around inside the wall, but it seems he was right.
Well, I don't have it back yet but I talked to the technician today who is working on it & he said Winnebago has issued a fix for all recent slides since they changed their operating system. He has done two of mine & has one more to go. He says it has to do with securing the motor & the drive rod that runs to the operating mechanism in the slide wall so it cannot slap back & forth. I should get it back in the next couple of days, hopefully without the slapping noise - we'll see!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I had the same rattle (sounded like wires in the wall). Turned out to be the slide mechanism was rubbing when closed (see photo). I put a piece of Velcro where they contacted (it is coming loose in the pic) and the noise has stopped. Hope this is a solution for you.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I had the same rattle (sounded like wires in the wall). Turned out to be the slide mechanism was rubbing when closed (see photo). I put a piece of Velcro where they contacted (it is coming loose in the pic) and the noise has stopped. Hope this is a solution for you.
I'm not sure what I am looking at in your picture & I don't understand how that relates to the problem.

Are you saying that the edge of that "clip" mounted on the side of the MH is contacting the slide wall when the slide is closed & rubbing against it with road vibration?

I have not been able to find out what that "clip" is for but I can't see how it has anything to do with the slide or the topper. Do you know what its purpose is?

I have been told by the technician that the problem is inside the slide wall as I suspected, not on the outside. It is the slide motor & rod inside the wall that needs to be secured. We'll see if that fixes it.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure what that bracket is for. When the slide is closed the slide roller contacts this bracket. When put something soft between the two the rattle stops. The symptoms of the rattle were exactly as you described--sounds like wires moving inside the wall on rough roads. This might not be your problem, but it was definitely mine. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Solution

We have a 2013 Adventurer with the same noise. The Winneabago said this is common with the new Schwintek Mechanism. Schwintek said the solution is to peel back the rubber slide protector and spray the gibbs which are the little gears the slide rolls on. The spray CRC power lube is the only one to use. Aparently when the slide moves the gear is squeaking do to rubbing. Have bougtht the power lube but not tried it, but if it works it is a simple fix.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I am not sure what that bracket is for. When the slide is closed the slide roller contacts this bracket. When put something soft between the two the rattle stops. The symptoms of the rattle were exactly as you described--sounds like wires moving inside the wall on rough roads. This might not be your problem, but it was definitely mine. Good luck.
I think that bracket locks the topper when the slide is closed...
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I originally assumed that but there is no contact between the bracket & the topper or case it rests in even when the slide is closed. Its a mystery. So far my dealer has not been able to find out even from Winnebago.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Yes, I found out from the technician working on my noise problem that the bracket acts as a stop for the topper so that if it starts to unroll when traveling with the slide in, the bar sticking up at the end of the topper sleeve will hit the bracket & stop it from unrolling further.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Troope View Post
Actually, what I found out today while working with the technician on a fix for the noise problem was that it was the switch by Winnebago (& Thor & a couple of other Class A's) that is causing the problem. They are now using the Schwintec track mechanism made by LCI & it is very flexible as mounted & gets to vibrating back & forth & causes the slapping noise. The fix was wrapping the motor at the top & the long rod with the gear on it tat runs the height of the slide with foam to cusion it. It is not actually in the slide wall but in the wall of the coach right next to the slide which acts as a drum resonating the slapping sound into the coach.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaurielucy View Post
We have a 2013 Adventurer with the same noise. The Winneabago said this is common with the new Schwintek Mechanism. Schwintek said the solution is to peel back the rubber slide protector and spray the gibbs which are the little gears the slide rolls on. The spray CRC power lube is the only one to use. Aparently when the slide moves the gear is squeaking do to rubbing. Have bougtht the power lube but not tried it, but if it works it is a simple fix.
I believe this is a different problem than mine.

Please see my explanation above.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We're on our first trip since the repair & I was amazed how quiet it can be cruising down the interstate!

Tags
itasca