Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Do you have a place to store your sewage hose? If I do I can't find it. I'm trying to decide if I want to get one of those tubes that have a screw on cap or just place it in a storage box.

I would rather not store it in the compartment with the outside shower and the fresh water fill area. Just doesn't seem right to me.

How do I fill the fresh water? Do I hook up the hose and turn it to holding tank? When will I know that it's full?

Thanks, Brandon

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax-Allison
bccsrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Do you have a place to store your sewage hose? If I do I can't find it. I'm trying to decide if I want to get one of those tubes that have a screw on cap or just place it in a storage box.

I would rather not store it in the compartment with the outside shower and the fresh water fill area. Just doesn't seem right to me.

How do I fill the fresh water? Do I hook up the hose and turn it to holding tank? When will I know that it's full?

Thanks, Brandon

Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Brandon--

I can't help you with the hose storage question as I just keep mine in a garbage bag after I have rinsed it and cleaned it the best that I can.

As far as filling the fresh water tank, the way my rig is set up (and I imagine yours is the same) is just to use the city water connection and switch the supply valve to "fresh water tank" or whatever other label you have. Make sure you remove the gravity fill cap before you do that as pressure will build up in the tank and the gravity fill connection being open allows a vent path. The other way to fill the tank is to use the gravity fill connection, although this will probably require that you purchase some sort of funnel or hose connection (sold at RV supply stores) since the fill angle is awkward just using the hose itself. The way you tell the tank is full is either by checking tank level or by watching water come out of the gravity fill connection.

One more tip...it will cut down on your gas mileage if you travel with a full freshwater tank. We usually just fill our tank up about 1/3 when we travel so that we have enough water for flushing.

Hope this helps!

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Take a look at this thread from a day or so ago HERE. Several options for a sewer hose carrier were discussed.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carnles:
Hi Brandon--

As far as filling the fresh water tank, the way my rig is set up (and I imagine yours is the same) is just to use the city water connection and switch the supply valve to "fresh water tank" or whatever other label you have. Make sure you remove the gravity fill cap before you do that as pressure will build up in the tank and the gravity fill connection being open allows a vent path. ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should have a overflow line that sticks out below. Mine is below the service bay and has a plastic filter to keep bugs out.
That will act as a vent since it comes off the top of the tank.
The instructions for my rig say in order to fill the tank, wait until water comes out of the overflow tube.
Like you though I never travel with a full tank unless I am going to boondock for a few days.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just do as others have suggested. Use a heavy duty black trash bag for the sewer hose. Very simple.I just used the gravity fill on my Horizon, it ran out when full.

Unlike the others on my Diesel I ran with a full water tank,, the extra weight made it ride smoother. Haven't checke dout this Adventurer yet. But for a better ride a little extra weight is worth it..Good miles.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm used to the gravity fill. I can't go look at it now because it's at the dealer getting a few more things fixed, but when I get it home I will fill it up and see what happens.

We have a trip to Christmas Valley at the end of the month and I plan on filling it 1/3rd of the way and when I get to Bend I will fill it the rest. Saves on fuel I'm sure.

I guess a plastic bag is as good as a tote. Although with a plastic bag I could keep everything in the same compartment.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well maybe the 34A is configured differently but on my 29R I keep the the stinky slinky in the compartment where the black and grey tank valves are located. This is in a different compartment than the fresh water hook up and hoses, so there is no danger of contamination.
Also, by a very unscientific comparrison I believe I lost almost 2 miles to the gallon when I ran with a full fresh water tank. (75 gals x 8.6 pounds = 645 pounds.)
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hey Brandon,

I've been keeping the hose in a rubbermaid tote for now, I have a hose carrier I got from Camping World just haven't found a great place to install it yet. For most of our trips its not a big deal as I dump at home.

To fill our tanks I hook up the water, then switch the valve to fill. While I'm hooked up I use the pressure to fill the hot water tank and the water lines.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote