Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Itasca Suncruiser 2010

Wondering if anyone that has purchased a new Itasca Suncruiser is having issues with the rotors, steering box, jacks, parking brakes or sluggish motor? We are having issues and wonder if anyone else may be having the same problem.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Cmabile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

What Model Number and Chassis do you have? Is the engine Ford or GM? 20K, 22K or 24K chassis? What brand Jacks? Way to many variables here, definitely need more info...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Suncruiser 37 F

It is Chevy, with heavy duty chassis 24,000. I'll check on who makes the jacks, not sure.
Cmabile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Carolyn,

You have the same chassis I have, so I'm going to wager you have Power Gear Jack and Slide mechanisms. You can confirm by looking at your window sticker, the owner's manual in your canvas suitcase, or looking on the Jack Control Panel to the left of the steering wheel.

We purchased in July of last year, so we're just coming up on one year of ownership. I do have a leaking jack, and it's in the shop right now getting fixed. Power gear has a 2-year warranty on their parts. Two weeks ago, I had it in to the Workhorse Service Center because I had a leak from the passenger side rear axle bearing. That was covered under warranty as well.

What kind of problems are you having with the rotors, steering box, jacks, and parking brakes? What do you mean by sluggish motor?

The W24 Chassis has different brakes than the W20 and W22, which are involved in the Bosch recall. The W24 has quad caliper brakes, and I have not heard of any real issues with them. I know mine work quite well!

The steering box can be adjusted if it's a bit sloppy. Have you had the initial front end alignment done? If not, load up your coach like you'll have it on a trip and get that done. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes. If you feel it's wandering as you go down the road, consider adding a Safe-T-Steer or other brand steering dampener. They will assist in keeping the front tires tracking straight and will dampen any harsh movement such as potholes or a dreaded blowout. I have already added front and rear sway bars and track bars as well as the Safe-T-Steer and I can comfortably cruise at 65 - 70 mph with one hand on the steering wheel! No more white-knuckle driving or sore stiff shoulders after a day on the road!

There is a PDF posted on this site (search Power Gear) that give calibration procedures for your jacks if they are not leveling correctly. It's a simple procedure you can do yourself. I have done it on mine and can tell you from experience, my floors are not level! I used the kitchen counter as the reference point for my level and now Auto Level gets much closer to level than it has in the past. Still not perfect, but I doubt I'll ever see perfect even doing it manually!

I believe the parking brake can also be adjusted, what sort of problems are you having with it?

You have a larger, heavier RV than I do, and I don't know how much stuff you're carrying with it. While that big gas engine makes a lot of power, it does not produce the torque of a diesel engine, and that is what gets you going and maintains speed on hills! Some RV designs have been known to have cooling problems that lead to failed spark plug wires because of lack of air flow around the engine. I have not heard of any of these problems with Winnebago or Itasca, but Workhorse does make a kit that will direct air flow to the back of the engine block to help resolve this. Without knowing the symptoms of your sluggish engine, it's hard to speculate what the problem is, or if there is even a problem at all. If you're just looking for more power, consider the Ultra Power upgrade. I't's a PCM flash that remaps the engine parameters producing more power and torque while syill using regular fuel. I have not performed this upgrade yet, but others have reported very positive results...

Each component on your RV is covered by the Manufacturer's warranty, and the lengths of those warranties vary. Winnebago covers you for the first year bumper-to-bumper, so my suggestion is use it as much as possible, keep a running tally of the problems you encounter, and hold your dealer's feet to the fire to get them fixed to your satisfaction! You will have problems, remember, you have the equivalent of a house riding on a truck chassis! Getting the bugs worked out is frustrating, but once they are resolved, you should enjoy the rig for many years... Hope this helps...

Paul
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

we are about to purchase a 2011 Itasca Suncruiser 37F, does anyone have one of these and can you give us the pro and con of owning one? Thanks for any insight.
Journey On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey On View Post
we are about to purchase a 2011 Itasca Suncruiser 37F, does anyone have one of these and can you give us the pro and con of owning one? Thanks for any insight.
Yes, I do. Mine is a 2010 and built on a Workhorse chassis, of course. I believe you will be getting a Ford, correct? Other than the obvious differences in the chassis, there are only a few differences in the coach from year to year.

If you have any specific questions about the floor plan or coach related issues, please send me a PM.
Ed
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmabile View Post
Wondering if anyone that has purchased a new Itasca Suncruiser is having issues with the rotors, steering box, jacks, parking brakes or sluggish motor? We are having issues and wonder if anyone else may be having the same problem.

Thanks,

Carolyn
We have a 2010 adventurer and have no problems with the rotors steering gear parking brakes or a sluggish motor. Is this your 1rst motor home and could you be a little more specific re: your problems?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi Carolyn

we had a leak in the rear jack, passenger side
just had the repair done end of season
(motorhome now winterzied - but we take it our beginning of feb for our first trip of 2011)

the repair to the brakes is part of the recall and we are scheduled for that work the end of jan

regards, peter
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
....................... Is this your 1rst motor home and could you be a little more specific re: your problems?
FWIW, the member who started this thread has not posted since she made the follow-on post dated June 23, 2010.

Tags
itasca, problems, rotor, steering box, suncruiser