Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Meridian 42E

Any advice is welcome. When we plug our power into 50 amp, everything works perfectly for a while. Then, the RV starts going ca-lump, ca-lump and begins shaking. My husband then turns down 2 air conditioners and changes to 30 amp. Works okay.
Bhisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The entire RV shaking part doesn't make sense but the noise you describe might be your transfer switch. You really don't give us enough information to be of much help with your problem. When you are on 50 Amp and start hearing the noise, are there any changes in your electrical situation like things not working. What does your electrical management panel say when you hear the noise?
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When it starts going ca-lump, turn off breakers one at a time and notice when the ca-lumping changes.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Meridian 42e

The clumping does come from the SurgeGuard transfer box. The clumping is the shore power breaker hammering in and out inside the transfer box. We find the power monitor reads, no power, 20 amp, 50 amp, no power and on and on each time the breaker clumps. All systems requiring shore power or generator go dead till we turn the shore power breaker off. Sometimes after a period of time goes by, we can restore 50 amp service uneventfully. This has happened at two RV parks and at home where reliable 50 amp service is certain. Today with no AC systems on and only the chargers running, no problem.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhisan View Post
The clumping does come from the SurgeGuard transfer box. The clumping is the shore power breaker hammering in and out inside the transfer box. We find the power monitor reads, no power, 20 amp, 50 amp, no power and on and on each time the breaker clumps. All systems requiring shore power or generator go dead till we turn the shore power breaker off. Sometimes after a period of time goes by, we can restore 50 amp service uneventfully. This has happened at two RV parks and at home where reliable 50 amp service is certain. Today with no AC systems on and only the chargers running, no problem.
:welcome:
Great to have you with us.

Have you tried another pedestal? The first thing I would consider is the neutral being loose at the pedestal or in the coach wiring. As for the shaking, the A/C units might be going into brownout condition with low voltage swinging in and out.

As a precaution I would disconnect form the pedestal, shut the inverter off, and open the breaker on the generator. Then, with leather gloves on, open the transfer switch box and tighten all of the connections. This probably requires a Allan wrench. Then remove the cover of your service panel and do the same thing. The only loss your will suffer if no loose connections are found in the coach gear is a bit of time.

Most importantly, don't avoid a full inspection. Many folks have seen problems go away mysteriously just to come back with vengeance and cause major damage. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Rick Y
Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Not being an expert, but my guess would be the transfer switch 1) you say the clacking sound is coming from there when on 50Amp. 2) it goes away when dropping to 30Amp service. I suspect that the relays in the transfer switch are chattering causing the A/C's to cycle on/off rapidly causing the RV shaking issues. All you problems go away on 30 Amp WITH the 2 A/C's turned down.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Bhisan

This problem has occurred at three different RV parks so it is not the supply. I have removed the cover to the Surge Guard box and actually did see the breaker hammering in and out. Power at that time on the supply side of the breaker is good, power on the RV side is gone so it does not get thru the breaker. Surge Guard people told me it is highly unlikely their unit is to blame so I am looking for another cause. Today I checked the breakers inside the RV and found all three AC breakers tripped. I do not know how to verify that the shore power breaker is defective or if not, how to determine just what the problem is.
The unit functions fine with 30 amp hooked up and only one AC working.
I did tighten all lugs but found them already tight.
Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bhisan, sounds like you have a locked compressor in one of you A/C unites. Turn off the breakers to all of the A/C units and verify that every is normal connected to 50 amp shore power. Then turn the A/C Breakers on one at a time waiting 15 or 20 minutes before turning the next one on. If the transfers switch starts going off line turn that breaker off and go to the next one.
What year is you coach?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The surge guard should drop power to the coach when there is an overload, and a timer of about 2 minutes should hold power off.
Plug it into a pedestal without the surge guard?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
This problem has occurred at three different RV parks so it is not the supply. I have removed the cover to the Surge Guard box and actually did see the breaker hammering in and out. Power at that time on the supply side of the breaker is good, power on the RV side is gone so it does not get thru the breaker. Surge Guard people told me it is highly unlikely their unit is to blame so I am looking for another cause. Today I checked the breakers inside the RV and found all three AC breakers tripped. I do not know how to verify that the shore power breaker is defective or if not, how to determine just what the problem is.
The unit functions fine with 30 amp hooked up and only one AC working.
I did tighten all lugs but found them already tight.
Thanks for the responses.
"highly unlikely". Power in = no power out. What would it take to bypass the Surge Guard and send it back on a RMA?

A question was asked about the year of your coach. And the answer is??

How long have you had this rig?

You indicate 3 breakers were tripped. When you share such info please identify the breakers. This could be a clue. Thanks.

Rick Y
Old 03-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The year of this Itasca Meridian 42E is 2013.
The three breakers inside the unit that tripped were the three A/C breakers.
I assumed that since the shore power side of the breakers inside the transfer/surge guard box checked 120 on each leg and while the output to the RV thru the breaker was 0 that somehow power was being interrupted while the breaker was hammering in and out.
It has to go into the shop for another issue so I will ask them to check it out. I just thought there would be a way to solve this mystery myself.
Thanks to all responders.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Bhisan, here is a link to some trouble shooting info on your transfer switch.
Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Limited Protection | Technology Research, LLC
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

grtharris

I have seen the Surge Guard page. Mine is model 4260. I found limited help there and called their tech service. He did not believe the trouble comes from the transfer box or it's contact breakers. He offered suggestions such as tighten all connections inside the box and pedestal, checking voltage on supply side then RV side to compare results. All that looks like good voltage going in but none coming out of the contact breakers, which to me makes sense since the contacts are jumping in and out rapidly. Like I mentioned, the RV is going in for another issue so I'll have it checked then.
If they come up with a cause, I'll post it for what it may be worth to others.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Bhisan

The problem was solved by installing new breakers in the transfer box. Sorry to be so long in posting this.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The problem was solved by installing new breakers in the transfer box. Sorry to be so long in posting this.
Not certain what you are saying? A transfer switch has relays. The service panel has breakers. Was the surge guard working correctly?

Did it take all of this time to resolve the problem?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Bhisan

The problem was in the surge guard box. The (breakers/transfer switches) were refusing to stay in position to allow power to flow from the park power supply to the coach. So they were hammering in and out.
The solution was to replace the parts in the surge guard box.
It did not take all this time to fix the problem, I should have posted the solution some time ago and I apologize. We have been out traveling or preparing to travel or coming down after travel. But since the fix, no more problems with the surge guard.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The problem was in the surge guard box. The (breakers/transfer switches) were refusing to stay in position to allow power to flow from the park power supply to the coach. So they were hammering in and out.
The solution was to replace the parts in the surge guard box.
It did not take all this time to fix the problem, I should have posted the solution some time ago and I apologize. We have been out traveling or preparing to travel or coming down after travel. But since the fix, no more problems with the surge guard.
Thanks for your advice.
Good reasons for not posting sooner. I love it when a post can't be made because the OP is having too much fun! Good job. Well done. I hope your trails are long and happy.

Rick Y

Tags
itasca