Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Rick;
Set the cruise at 64 mph. Although Cummins said the sweet spot was 1650 the coach seems to like 1800. Seems to run more freely and mileage is better.

Did not have much issues in the wind. Noticeable when passing a grove of trees near the side of the road. Wind was 30 mph from the side. Could feel the difference between the wind and sheltered areas. Felt it easy to stay in wheel path. Drove 300 miles without feeling any more fatigue than normal.

Am planning a trip to Gaffney but a recent trip over the scale indicates the coach is very uniform. But would like to attend a class or two, have some service done and get the ride height checked as well as possibly checking my numbers.

The most we are out is 88 lbs from side to side on the drive axle. With 3/4 fuel and 3/4 water we are under 1402 on the front axle, 1966 on the drive axle and 3298 on the tag. Our total weight is 38943.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Not bad mpg. What is your average driving speed? (mph please )

How does your rig handle in the wind? I had many pulling situations. I didn't realize that my end of day driving fatigue was greater than it needed to be. After installing the Blue Ox steering assist unit I am now more relaxed after a long days drive. The next big handling improvement was getting rid of the Michelin's. Long story short... I have Continental's on the front and Toyo's on the rear. If I had been more fore thinking I would have left the dealer offering the Continental's and not the Toyo's I wanted. But, I thought I was being treated well. My poor judgment. The front tires are good and are doing a great job. I just simply spent way more money than I had to. The Toyo's are just as good a tire for much less money.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick, what did you end up spending for your tru Center? Did you install yourself?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #43

When we ordered our 2013 Tour I did NOT want the dishwasher. Instead I asked them to replace it with a deep drawer for my pots and pans and other cooking items. I had to sign papers with the design folks that this is what I wanted. It makes access to these things so much easier esp. since we are now full time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465908571742.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	130200  
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
When we ordered our 2013 Tour I did NOT want the dishwasher. Instead I asked them to replace it with a deep drawer for my pots and pans and other cooking items. I had to sign papers with the design folks that this is what I wanted. It makes access to these things so much easier esp. since we are now full time.
We got the pot drawers as well. IMO very handy. Under counter storage for pots and pans would be a bit of a scramble without.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Rick, what did you end up spending for your tru Center? Did you install yourself?
This is a strange story. Each of my Freightliner coaches have had a pulling issue. On this one, when new to me, I started doing a bunch of research on steering stabilizers. I looked at them all. I finally chose the TrueCenter for many reasons. The correct on the fly one was the most attractive. But this unit was also the most expensive so I was in the process of setting up some funds for it. At a work project one of my co-volunteers just happened to have one with him that he did not install on his new to him coach. Brand new, in the box, I got it for $500. I bought the mounting bracket through Amazon.

When the bracket arrived the friend and I installed the unit. You need a big pipe for torque to loosen and tighten the bolts and some means of keeping the cylinder in place during the install (my friend), but it is not hard. I mounted the foot switch on the dead pedal/foot rest. This gave direct access to power and easy usage access.

I think the price has come down. Take a look Brad. It is worth having in my opinion.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 06-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #46

Quote:
This is a strange story. Each of my Freightliner coaches have had a pulling issue. On this one, when new to me, I started doing a bunch of research on steering stabilizers. I looked at them all. I finally chose the TrueCenter for many reasons. The correct on the fly one was the most attractive. But this unit was also the most expensive so I was in the process of setting up some funds for it. At a work project one of my co-volunteers just happened to have one with him that he did not install on his new to him coach. Brand new, in the box, I got it for $500. I bought the mounting bracket through Amazon.

When the bracket arrived the friend and I installed the unit. You need a big pipe for torque to loosen and tighten the bolts and some means of keeping the cylinder in place during the install (my friend), but it is not hard. I mounted the foot switch on the dead pedal/foot rest. This gave direct access to power and easy usage access.

I think the price has come down. Take a look Brad. It is worth having in my opinion.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Oh cool - I never thought of the switch in the foot rest. Their video shows it in the dash.

Thanks for the info - it looks like Amazon has the piston for $1100, but I wasn't sure what it costs with all the needed brackets.

It may have to wait behind my Air Force One brake system
Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Oh cool - I never thought of the switch in the foot rest. Their video shows it in the dash.

Thanks for the info - it looks like Amazon has the piston for $1100, but I wasn't sure what it costs with all the needed brackets.

It may have to wait behind my Air Force One brake system
AF1 is a good choice. I did my install here at my stepson's home 2 years ago. The new car module is redesigned and easier to find a mounting area for. The directions for the CR-V install were really bad. I hope they took my advise and changed them. A "can't get their from here" job became a 20 min got it done job with the method I found from Honda for removing the grill. Looks like the popular price for it is $1,124.95. Well worth the money.

As far as the TruCenter bracket goes, I think this is the one you require: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-TC601...eywords=tc6011

This is the piston: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-TC352...e+ox+trucenter

I recommend checking with Blue Ox about the ZF front suspension. I am not certain it will work on independent front suspension. I thought I saw some restriction on this at some point but I am not certain. I suggest proving me wrong before you spend the bucks.

Later,
Rick Y
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #48

Thanks Rick!

What are your thoughts on the RViBrake2 over the AF1? I'm starting to sway that way a bit because it is easier of course, and because sometimes I pull the Jeep behind the pickup. Not that its a big deal, as that is rare, but was thinking the option would be nice.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Atom Ant: Having to keep the steering wheel turned, after an alignment, may be something as simple as having the drag links adjusted. Most truck alignment shops in Denver should be able to do the work.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Atom Ant: Having to keep the steering wheel turned, after an alignment, may be something as simple as having the drag links adjusted. Most truck alignment shops in Denver should be able to do the work.
Na, nothing like that for me - the reason I was inquiring is to help assist in wind. My steering wheel is centered.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick!

What are your thoughts on the RViBrake2 over the AF1? I'm starting to sway that way a bit because it is easier of course, and because sometimes I pull the Jeep behind the pickup. Not that its a big deal, as that is rare, but was thinking the option would be nice.
Brad, I went with the AF1 because I didn't have to fool with the break peddle with each use. If you want, you can buy a second controller for the other vehicle so that you are ready to go which ever you choose. Here is a deal for you on just the under the hood box: Air Force One Brake Controller Box SMI Manufacturing | eBay
With that and the break cylinder you are way ahead with a second setup. This is the older style box, like I am using, but it is a great price. If I were in your position I'd buy it. $20 won't break the bank. lol

Rick Y
Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Brad, I went with the AF1 because I didn't have to fool with the break peddle with each use. If you want, you can buy a second controller for the other vehicle so that you are ready to go which ever you choose. Here is a deal for you on just the under the hood box: Air Force One Brake Controller Box SMI Manufacturing | eBay
With that and the break cylinder you are way ahead with a second setup. This is the older style box, like I am using, but it is a great price. If I were in your position I'd buy it. $20 won't break the bank. lol

Rick Y
Thanks Rick, and that is a good price (I notice a duo box as well for 5 bucks), but my problem is the opposite - I tow the Jeep behind my truck sometimes, which doesn't have air brakes.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #53
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick, and that is a good price (I notice a duo box as well for 5 bucks), but my problem is the opposite - I tow the Jeep behind my truck sometimes, which doesn't have air brakes.
Now that is one for the books! You do have a unique situation. It sounds like you need both systems.

I would contact SMI. Their customer support is great. I don't know if you can use both systems as you are thinking. In one case, the truck is being towed and breaking is the AF1. Then, you want the truck to be the towing the jeep with the Duo as the breaking system. Will the vacuum be strong enough from the truck engine to operate the Duo with the AF1 module in it? I know there is a check valve and it seems that needs to be considered in the dual installation. This is a fun challenge. I'm looking forward to your outcome.

The best one I saw was a coach pulling a car pulling a boat. That was a breaking system that needed to work properly, especially for a quick stop.

I have a new thread I'll be starting. You might want to watch for it. My toppers have come unstiched. I think we may all face this at some point. I am trying to document the fix with pictures for posting. The many joys of RVing!

Rick Y
Old 06-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #54
Winnie-Wise

Brakes or breaks?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Brakes or breaks?
Good one!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote