Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Itasca carpeting replacement

Am strongly considering replacing the carpeting in my 2004 Itasca Meridian, and though the trend seems to be replacing carpeting with vinyl planks, we (aka "the Boss") have decided to stay with carpeting. My main concern is the dining slide - a 17 foot flat floor slide.

As near as I can tell, the wall side is secured with a tack strip, but the other edge of the carpeting wraps around the edge of the slide-out floor, and is secured under the slide floor by a metal strip attached with screws spaced roughly one foot apart. Removing the screws would be do-able, however reattachment would be a real task.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of slide-out? Could it be partially extended and "tilted" to provide better access to the underside? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I replaced the carpeting in my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser with commercial quality carpet tiles, which is kind of in between traditional carpeting and vinyl in that it's nice on the feet but easy to keep clean and stain resistant. If there is a bad stain, you can replace individual pieces. It's an easy DIY install since each piece is about 20" square so cutting and fitting is easy, plus there's no stretching. I adhered mine with carpet tape instead of glue and so far, no issues (approaching two years).

On mine, I didn't wrap the carpet around the edge of the slide floor but carpeted up to the edge and covered the exposed front with a strip of oak moulding.

When removing the old carpeting, don't try to remove everything underneath the slide. Part of it extends over a plywood "ramp" at the wall opening and it's best not to remove this since it's functional. If you leave it in place, you don't have to replace it. Just extend the slide and cut as far under it as you can with a razor cutter.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

Flat Floor "Work Around" + Vinyl Floor Choices

I also would also like to know how you approach your flooring solution when you get to it!

I'm guessing you are not going to do anything to the front door steps or the bedroom, but maybe you are?

Do you have tile in your kitchen area or bathroom? Are you going to remove it?

We have a 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD and would like to upgrade our floor in 2020. I have not decided on vinyl or carpet. I like the modern look of vinyl, but I'm concerned about those "flat-floor-rollers" under my driver's slide causing scratch marks in a new vinyl or engineered wood floor.

Winnebago sells a "Carpet Shoe Glide" for ~$150, but I can't find anyone who has installed one. This glide shoe is supposed to replace the OEM plastic shoe under your large slideout. (See picture.)

Note: I think you can only access the carpet shoe after you pull the large slide out about 4". Has anyone done this? It seems like you have to have some custom made supports for your slide? Not to mention knowledge on how your slide releases. (Not to mention how to keep it from falling out or off it's slide rails.) No wonder most RV shops will not even adjust a flat floor slide!!!

The idea is that a carpet shoe will glide over your new vinyl floor without scratching it. The cost of this glide shoe from Winnie is cheap (~$150), but messing with that slideout and installing the shoe might be expensive. I just don’t know. I’m thinking 2 hours which in Winnebago terms is $600, but could be more.

I also called the famous RV flooring installer “Earnie" in Texas last week, and he swore he would never do another flat floor with one of those hidden kitchen cabinets that slideout, because they weigh so much!

…And there was no convincing him to take my job even if I left the tile floor in the kitchen!

…Which I would think avoid any weight concerns with this kitchen storage slideout. (But no cigar.) So there has to be other factors about this installation Ernie did not want to go into details about. Either that or he botched that job and the owners gave Ernie a bunch of grief. (Rightly or wrongly.) Either way, Ernie did not want to talk about it. So I'm still not sure what to do about my floor upgrade?

I'm thinking this: If you have tile in your kitchen and you are happy with it (like I am) then leave it. Plus this will allow your slide rollers to roll on top of the tile just like normal. Same goes on the passenger slide area.

I think I will remove the tile between the two chairs up front so the entry way can be finished-out...and down the steps. That looks best to me. And while this is the highest traffic area, the new vinyl floor can take the pounding!

My Work Around Idea: Leave the carpet under your couch. Then add another carpet layer on top. (See Picture of one owner's slide with vinyl flooring.) Only then make the carpet 1.5 inches longer, and bind the ends pretty-like, so it hides the metal carpet strip you see in the picture.

Note: This "work around" will also leave a 1.5 inches of carpet protruding into the middle of the floor when the slideout is all the way in (retracted), but maybe that will not be a problem?

The Carpet metal strip is there to protect the vinyl edge; and so the slideout floor rollers can ride up during retraction. …And the woven/bonded new carpet you put under your couch will now cover the metal carpet strip even when the slide is fully extended. (Note: The attached picture is not my RV. But you can see what will be covered if you add another layer of thin carpet under the couch. ...I might even go to Walmart an buy a Mohawk "throw carpet" with finished edges, and then cut it to fit. TBD. Or have a custom piece made to fit. TBD.

* My thinking is that if you leave the old carpet wrapped around the main floor and you leave the old carpet wrapped around the slideout floor, then you don’t have to worry about jacking up the slide to remove it and those stables or screws. (Just leave them.)

* Now all you need to do is protect your vinyl floor from being scratched; and it would appear these floor protectors are the best way to go:

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-13499...omotive&sr=1-2
So far, I see no way of avoiding the possibility of scratching your floor without these floor protectors; or you can pay Winnebago $$$ to replace the OEM plastic glide shoe with a carpet shoe.

I am also not sure why some people are complaining about their floor getting scratched while other owners do not seem to worry about this problem? I have to wonder if it has to do with the floor height or maybe people with scratched floors don’t like talking about it?

Note: The old carpet is very, very thin. Just go to your bedroom and in between your bed and the sidewall you will find carpet you can remove. It’s a lot thinner than you think and no where can I find a supplier of this stuff. (Maybe someone can tell us?)

I also think those floor tiles in the kitchen are only 5/16in tall. So if you use “engineered wood… my guess is that your new floor will be relatively high and that too will promote scratching.

Likewise, if you just slap thin vinyl down over your RV floor, then you might have a floor that is relatively “too low” and then your slide will not be steady when it’s fully retracted.

Therefore, I think it would be very important to replace your old floor with a material that is the same height as your old floor.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
• How you finish out your bedroom.
• Do you remove the tile in the kitchen so your new floor will go “front-to-back” which will make your RV look more modern and bigger inside.
• How you finish out those front steps is very important too since this is your first impression.
• How you finish out the driver’s side floor board is another area your floorboards are not flat.
Please take pictures of your project and let us know what you do or who you contract with to do the floor for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plastic Shoe Picture Under Slide 2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	172484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat Floor Close-up.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	172490  

Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #4

Floor Visualizer Program

To visualize what our floor will look like after you choose your floor pattern, just go to this website and upload a picture of your RV interior floor... and like magic this Floor Visualizer Program will show you what your new floor will look like:

https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...loorvisualizer

The attached picture is my carpet floor... and a picture of what my RV floor will look like if I choose a "Dark Wood" option.

...Try it with one of your RV interior floor pictures and see what floor color and pattern works best for you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2 Light Floor Picture.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	172486   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Dark Floor Picture.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	172487  

Attached Images

Old 12-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I also would also like to know how you approach your flooring solution?

I'm guessing you are not going to do anything to the front door steps or the bedroom, but maybe you are?
[/QUOTE]

I'm replacing the carpeted areas in my 2004 Meridian 36G as delivered to include the step area, the area under the dash and driver's controls and the bedroom area. The galley area as well as the bath has vinyl "stick down" tiles that are in good condition, so they will remain.

My concern is the transition area at the floor and slide - the installer has a plan, but I am attempting to find out how to replace the carpeting in this area in the same configuration as Winnebago. This coach has the HWH slide system. Have not found any answers yet.

As of this time, I have removed all of the furniture, window treatments and provided access to the areas under the dash. I will post the in-progress photos as well as the finished project.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

HWH "Stormore" Flat Floor Video

This video should be part of your library, and it will help you understand the purpose of the "glide shoe".

I believe this video is for a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J model that has 2 large slideouts apposing each other. The Adventurer is a gas coach, but the HWH slides are the same in principle as my 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD (diesel pusher). It's a great video that explains how to fix a broken slideout and how to gain access to the glide shoe. And by looking at it, I still think it would only take Winnebago 2 hours to replace the plastic glide shoe with a carpet glide shoe.

HWH StoreMore Flat Floor slideout room Repair (THANK YOU KEVIN!)

* I get the impression that all you might need is a jack to lift the slide up in order to get to the slide shoe.

* I also assume that if you remove the plastic slide shoe "bubble-piece" you will see screws that hold the glide shoe plate. However, I would think the carpet glide shoe does not attach in the same manner.

*** So here's an idea: What if you leave the plastic glide shoe in place, and then cover it with a piece of carpet? I would also think 3 carpet squares, securely attached would work. It's a glide shoe after all and not meant to support weight.

Watch the video and then maybe what I am describing will make more sense!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Adventurer 38J Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	172491  
Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRed View Post
Am strongly considering replacing the carpeting in my 2004 Itasca Meridian, and though the trend seems to be replacing carpeting with vinyl planks, we (aka "the Boss") have decided to stay with carpeting. My main concern is the dining slide - a 17 foot flat floor slide.

As near as I can tell, the wall side is secured with a tack strip, but the other edge of the carpeting wraps around the edge of the slide-out floor, and is secured under the slide floor by a metal strip attached with screws spaced roughly one foot apart. Removing the screws would be do-able, however reattachment would be a real task.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of slide-out? Could it be partially extended and "tilted" to provide better access to the underside? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
PapaRed,
I just saw this thread or, I'd have offered my assistance to your inquiry sooner. We have a very, very close coach to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. I suspect very much of the interior/flooring etc. is very close to how and what ours was designed like. Ours came with an off-white carpet and off-white w/blue accent upholstered coach and valances. The other couch/love seat is faux leather, also a bit off-white.

Well, after about 13-14 years or so, that off-white carpet was not looking too good and, we're the only two that use the coach. We cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it but, it just wouldn't come clean. So, time for a new game plan. We had some friends who just had theirs done and they called us up to take a look. Well, upon looking at theirs, also an '04-05 era coach, it took both of us about 15 seconds to decide that new carpet was in our future, RIGHT NOW!

So, we contacted the company and, picked out carpet that afternoon. The owner came up the next day and ripped out all the old stuff. But, in the mean time, I GUTTED THE COACH. That is, I yanked out both the drivers and co-pilots chairs, one of the couches, the bolted down kitchen table and anything else that I could remove to make the job of replacing the carpet easier on everyone.

As for the slide and, it's close proximity to the flooring/carpet, well, once all the initial carpet was removed, you could see that some of it was installed before the slide was installed. Hmmmm. So, we just compromised. The installer had done many motorhomes and, was familiar with how to do it so that it looked factory. As for the carpet ON THE SLIDE FLOOR, it was cut and sewn with a lip on it that, when the slide is in, the lip just hangs over the slide floor by a couple of inches, no big deal. But, when the slide is all the way extended out, that lip of carpet glides right down and lays on the coach floor, just like it's supposed to.

We thought about going to a wood-looking floor. But, #1, We both love carpet, no matter how "old school" it is. #2, It's seriously QUEITER! #3, It's warmer. We'd seen quite a few coaches that had been converted to either faux wood, vinyl or any other composite and, for the most part, they were always noisier when folks were talking in them and or, the TV was going or, walking, or anything. And to us, they do show dust and dirt more readily than carpet does. Yes, carpet basically hides dust and dirt.

But, in the end, to us, our coach now looks much more luxurious than it did and, it's kept its quietness in talking, TV ops, and of course, even traveling down the road is quiet. 'Course it's always nice that the engine is at least 36' behind you. Anyway, we're really happy with the outcome of ours. It's a preference thing for sure.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	172527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	172528  

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	172529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	172530  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

That was the "before", here it is now.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	172531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	172532  

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	172533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	172534  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
wwr
Winnebago Camper

i have a 05 38j with three slideouts how did you attach the carpet under the slide mine are flat floors when extended the two floors match together
wwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, itasca, replace, replacement