Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca 35A/35L

I've been researching motorhomes for a future upgrade and have focused some attention on the Itasca Suncruiser and Sunrise models from 2006 to 2009.
I'm particularly interested in the 35A and 35L because they seem to offer the size, specs and features that are important to me. In particular I like the fact that the washer/dryer combo is available and I believe that the wheelbase to length ratio should make for a decent handling coach. Fibreglass roof is nice and it appears as if some might have the beefed up 24,000 lb Workhorse chassis too.
Here's a few questions:
Is the Suncruiser a step up from the Sunrise (me thinks so)?
The basement A/C seems like a good idea but others don't like it. Should it prevent me from buying one?
Is the rusty windshield problem a possibility with these?
What other problems should scare me about this model and year?
Thanks!
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Great questions. Yes the Suncrusier is a step up from the Sunrise. Mostly cosmetic stuff but also a few things like power sunshade. I don't believe they made the Sunrise after 2008. Was told one of the reasons they dropped the Sunrise was that there wasn't enough difference in them and it confused people.
Depending on where you live basement air might be a problem. It seem folks out west have trouble keeping them cool in the summer heat. In the midwest I have not had a problem. Never had any repair work done on it but I was told that it is the same as a house unit and any AC repairman can work on them.
There is a class action on the rusty windshield, I am not sure of the date range of coaches in the suit.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info Indy!
As for climate I live on the east coast of Canada. We can have hot, sticky summers like everyone else but typically not for an extended period of time. Last summer in our current Class A I think I ran one AC unit for an hour one night so I'd be surprised if the basement AC caused any concern! The rusty windshield is more worrisome.
Looks like you have the exact coach I'm looking for. You're happy with it?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I like our basement A/C except for the fact that in our particlar model - 2008 Meridian - the return duct is right next to the bed, and is quite noisy. For staying in noisy locations like WalMarts and truck stops and KOAs that are right next to an interstate, it's a bonus because it drowns out the other noises. Not so good in a quiet location.

I don't know how the Suncruiser is set up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2007 Adventurer (Winnebago version of the SunCruiser)
* They are Winnies top of the liner gassers.
* Basement AC is great.
* Windshield rust is a possibility with any coach. When you find one you like, peel back the rubber molding and take a look (may have to remove a screw or two).

Happy hunting!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

What is the proof of a class action on the windshield?
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Maritimer:

We had a 2007 35L Voyage and really liked the floorplan. The basement air seemed mostly adequate for this length, we traveled in Texas and other rather hot places and it was ok. Not a meat locker and took a while to cool down if the coach heated up in the sun, but was generally acceptable. The return vent is under the bed and does make a bit of noise when cycling off and on. You can turn the fan to run continuously which was generally better at night.
We really liked the way the bedroom and bath closed off to make a suite area with a large dressing area between the closet and bath. We miss that open space in our new coach.
Had to have both windshields replaced due to an accident just before trading the unit in and there was some rust starting around the drivers side windshield. The shop sanded and painted the area, not a significant amount and no metal damage, so the problem was pretty recent. There would not have been a way to see it without pulling the windshield. I think if you peel the molding back and see rust it means the problem has gotten significantly more severe. That would be a cause for serious investigation or keep looking for another coach.

Good Luck in your search,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 08 winnebago adventurer 35-L, you might check to see if a brake recall was done on that chassis, I like my basement air it is efficient and works well In the south.

You might consider paying A RV tech to inspect it before you buy, it will be a bargaining tool for you.

I have heard of rust problems with the one piece windshields I haven't had any problems with mine yet, if you suspect rust have it checked out.

Good luck, James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We have an '07 Winnebago Voyage 35L and really love the floorplan. The basement air in ours is very efficient, and the heat pump is perfect for taking the chill off on those cool spring and fall mornings. We bought this one used this past spring, trading in our older and smaller Brave. We did find that the basement storage is a bit less than the brave because of the slide outs. There is no pass through storage, but what is there is adequate for us. So far we have not seen any evidence of windshield rust, or any leakage up front.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yes, the Suncruiser is the top of the line model.
The basement A/C will work great - especially on a 35' model. It is great and I love that you don't have the condensation dripping off the roof.
The rusty windshield frame problem mostly affects earlier models. I have had no problem with it at all on our 2007. I also like that the windshield is set in the frame like they do with cars. It is basically set in a very thick glue all the way around the glass.
Winnebago makes a quality product and you will most likely have less problems with it than you would have with other brands. Also, buying used with spare you with the early quality issues that some people have. I would recommend buying one.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
Thanks for the info Indy!
As for climate I live on the east coast of Canada. We can have hot, sticky summers like everyone else but typically not for an extended period of time. Last summer in our current Class A I think I ran one AC unit for an hour one night so I'd be surprised if the basement AC caused any concern! The rusty windshield is more worrisome.
Looks like you have the exact coach I'm looking for. You're happy with it?
Yes we are very happy with it. It is a great floor plan. We have the King bed and I love it. You give up space for washer dryer with the king bed but for me it is worth it. Our previous coach (Sunova) my feet always hung out the end of the bed, I never slept right.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all! Excellent info.
(now if I could only find a great deal on one!)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Big Difference

We have a 35A and the difference between the 35A and 35L are apples and oranges when it comes to the floor plan. The galley in the 35A is much larger and is the dominating feature of the living, dining areas. So, if you are interested in cooking elaborate meals and having lots of storage and counter space go for the 35A. Not that you can't fix a nice meal in the 35L but it is a bit more compact and makes cooking a big meal more challenging.
Rocky68D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #14

We also have a 2006 35A and love the opposing living/dining room slides which give you a larger living room. We installed an additional roof air (over the kitchen roof vent) to supplement the inadequate basement air. These 3 slide motorhomes require a bit more cooling capacity we found, and the additional roof air conditioner is great! The Onan 5.5 generator is able to run both compressors in the basement air, along with the high efficiency 13.5k roof air.

Our unit had a lot of bugs which we finally got ironed out and the Workhorse w-22 chassis has been fairly good for us.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca