Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We currently own a Sightseer 35J with a Workhorse chassis and are looking at upgrading to a dp. We like the new 39N Destination floorplan with bunkbeds. Is there a noticeable difference in the ride when going up hills (is the 6.7L Cummins diesel engine powerful enough?) and is the suspension better on bumpy roads? Also has anyone visited a Destination 39N yet, if so what is your impression. Thanks
AlainLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We currently own a Sightseer 35J with a Workhorse chassis and are looking at upgrading to a dp. We like the new 39N Destination floorplan with bunkbeds. Is there a noticeable difference in the ride when going up hills (is the 6.7L Cummins diesel engine powerful enough?) and is the suspension better on bumpy roads? Also has anyone visited a Destination 39N yet, if so what is your impression. Thanks
AlainLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My understanding is that the 39N floorplan hasn't started production yet. My dealer went to the dealer show hoping to take pictures for me, but came back empty handed. I test drove the Adventurer and the 39W Destination. No comparison in ride. I can't consider buying anything other than a DP after that. I too hope it will have enough power as I live in the mountains and plan on pulling a boat....
Old 11-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AlainLe:
We currently own a Sightseer 35J with a Workhorse chassis and are looking at upgrading to a dp. We like the new 39N Destination floorplan with bunkbeds. Is there a noticeable difference in the ride when going up hills (is the 6.7L Cummins diesel engine powerful enough?) and is the suspension better on bumpy roads? Also has anyone visited a Destination 39N yet, if so what is your impression. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you compare horsepower, both are about the same... if you compare torque, it's not even close... the diesel smokes the Workhorse. Of course, you would also have to compare total vehicle weights, transmission and differential ratios, etc. The DP would have a superior ride over the Workhorse and has twice the drawbar towing weight...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2008 Destination 39W. It is my first DP and first MH. We left Texas City, TX and hit a few hills in hill country. I just let the cruise control do what it wanted to do, with no problems. Yes, it slowed down when going up the hills, but I was comfortable with it.

I was towing a Saturn Vue at about 3200 pounds. My last pull out of Tucson was at 12.5 MPG dropping down to 11.5 by the time I got to Phoenix. The ride is easy and comfortable on the air bag suspension.

Good luck.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That seems like pretty good gas mileage
What would it slow down to when climbing? Any idea the grade?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

If you have the opportunity test drive "both" types of Destinations. I think for the price you would be better informed in making your decision.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sorry I didn't get back sooner to your questions, been busy sight seeing in Las Vegas. They don't have any green grass, so I'm leaving some greenery behind when I leave.

Mileage from Phoenix to Las Vegas was 7.9 average. Must be uphill, but I'm satisfied with that. I know that the mileage is going to differ because of geographical area changes and I can accept that.

I have no concept of "grade," but there were some pretty steep climbs. I wish they would post the percentage of grade.

It would only drop a few MPH on most, but on some it was like 5 mph. I'd watch the RPM's and if it looked like it was struggling, I'd drop it down intentionally. I passed most 18 wheelers on the grades, with some of the light 18 wheelers smoking everyone.

Sorry I can't provide more information. Like DriVer said, see if you can test drive them to help make a decision.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote