Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

INTENT Owners...

Did yours come with a hose fitting for a black tank flush? It says in the brochure that it's a standard feature... and yet my 26M doesn't have it.

This tank REQUIRES a good flushing.

I've been using a clear elbow at the drain with a hose fitting, but back-filling all the plumbing and then slowly filling up the tank just doesn't cut it. There needs to be a fill, or a Tornado would be even better, on the tank itself. This way the tank would fill and drain properly. Well, better anyway.

Anyone else missing this feature?

I've contacted Winnebago, but no reply yet.

This is the worst black tank design I've had. The tank has a large footprint, shallow height, and sunken in the center - rather than an angled bottom that naturally forces everything towards and out the drain. When you first open the drain, the mighty Mississippi river is unleashed, but then it just turns into a brown, trickling stream.

The drain plumbing is in the side of the tank, so anything that may have been "dumped" into the tank has a tendency to sit there at the center low point. It's been taking me 2 full, back-filled tanks to get the drain water clear. What's that - 70 gallons?
My last RV took half a 5 gallon bucket poured into the toilet to flush it clean. Then I'd close the drain and add the other 1 or 2 gallons with the chemical pod. Done.

The toilet doesn't sit directly on top in the 26M. The drain makes a left turn towards the tank. And as far as I can tell, the outlet plumbing exits on the rear, center, SIDE of the tank, with a 90*, a 45*, another 90* before making ANOTHER 90* to exit through the drain hose.

Also, the days of just dumping a few gallons of water in the freshly emptied tank, along with the deodorizer chemical pod, are long gone. That amount of water just fills the long drain line and leaves the tank bottom dry.

End of rant.

-Robb
Old 03-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don’t have an Intent but have a Vista with a long, wide black tank without a flush connection. When I’ve emptied, I fill to 1/3 then dump again. Then, I’ll scientifically add water for 30 seconds, hoping that it’s enough to cover the bottom when level.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sorry Robb, my didn't come with anything like that. Where would one connect it?
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'd imagine that it would be located in the dump bay. I sent another request for info to Winnebago today because after a week I still haven't heard from them.
I'm also missing an aluminum block under the front corner of the dinette slide. I've got 2 on the bed slide that support the weight when retracted, but just the one up front. The slide really makes noise while driving.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Well now I'm gonna have to check on those blocks as well. I'll report back tomorrow night.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Response from Winnebago is that the block isn't missing. Its designed with only one.
Regarding the black tank flush...that was started in March 2018. Mine was built in January. Guess I'm sh*t outta luck on that
Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Response from Winnebago is that the block isn't missing. Its designed with only one.
Regarding the black tank flush...that was started in March 2018. Mine was built in January. Guess I'm sh*t outta luck on that
Well crap (couldn't resist). It looks like mine was built in Nov 17 so, I'm definitely out.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Work around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Did yours come with a hose fitting for a black tank flush? It says in the brochure that it's a standard feature... and yet my 26M doesn't have it.

This tank REQUIRES a good flushing.

I've been using a clear elbow at the drain with a hose fitting, but back-filling all the plumbing and then slowly filling up the tank just doesn't cut it. There needs to be a fill, or a Tornado would be even better, on the tank itself. This way the tank would fill and drain properly. Well, better anyway.

Anyone else missing this feature?

I've contacted Winnebago, but no reply yet.

This is the worst black tank design I've had. The tank has a large footprint, shallow height, and sunken in the center - rather than an angled bottom that naturally forces everything towards and out the drain. When you first open the drain, the mighty Mississippi river is unleashed, but then it just turns into a brown, trickling stream.

The drain plumbing is in the side of the tank, so anything that may have been "dumped" into the tank has a tendency to sit there at the center low point. It's been taking me 2 full, back-filled tanks to get the drain water clear. What's that - 70 gallons?
My last RV took half a 5 gallon bucket poured into the toilet to flush it clean. Then I'd close the drain and add the other 1 or 2 gallons with the chemical pod. Done.

The toilet doesn't sit directly on top in the 26M. The drain makes a left turn towards the tank. And as far as I can tell, the outlet plumbing exits on the rear, center, SIDE of the tank, with a 90*, a 45*, another 90* before making ANOTHER 90* to exit through the drain hose.

Also, the days of just dumping a few gallons of water in the freshly emptied tank, along with the deodorizer chemical pod, are long gone. That amount of water just fills the long drain line and leaves the tank bottom dry.

End of rant.

-Robb
I know this is an older post, but I’ve been struggling with this as well. Especially here in CA where water is a costly commodity.

I’d have to back fill the tank with the Camco backflush device 3 times before it ran clear. So I tried the flexible wand, down through the toilet bowl. It helps, but it’s not perfect, but got me down to one extra full tank flush.
If you do buy the backflush valve, which I recommend, be sure and buy the one with the gate valve, or it will do you no good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF7D17DD-7299-4CC5-AFC9-8ECC8A02DF99.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	172514   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE4C9B5F-7701-439D-93C6-676EA2DB2A6E.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	172516  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7461F55C-8375-4B27-A78E-CFDFA5254DCA.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	172517  
Old 12-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I found that starting with a gallon of water in the black tank and adding a cheap water softener powder helps with getting more stuff out without a lot of flushing when it's time to evaculate the tank.

I use cheap brands like Rain Drops or a Borax powder.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Where would one find the build date?

EDIT: FOUND IT
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The valve posted above is pretty much mandatory. I have the orange model, Rhino? I have since added a tank flush and now just have a clear elbow with gate valve.
I used the Tornado package.
Best, easiest clean is raise the front of the RV as high as you can with the jacks, close the new valve, open the black...fill the tank and drain. Raising the front really creates a rush to do a better job.