Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Very clean install. DO you have any more pics of the bracket/board assembly, and how it and the tv was installed?
Yes, a couple. I can email them to you. My husband attached the board to the angle iron on one side first, placed it in the cage to see if his measurements were right, and then had to make a slight adjustment to the width. He was really close though. Had to move the angle iron on the other side out just a little and we drilled holes with the drill press. (Angle iron holes were drilled before we started due to its heaviness.) Only made one hole in the cage for the mount first on one side then drilled the others by drilling though the angle iron holes. Caught metal with a sheet below.
MAW8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

I'm doing a similar job on my 2004 Vectra. Just curious though. What made you decide on the Direct TV over the Dish Network setup since the Dish Network dish is about $500 cheaper. I have been trying to decide which to get. What tipped the scales to Direct TV for you and others?
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
I'm doing a similar job on my 2004 Vectra. Just curious though. What made you decide on the Direct TV over the Dish Network setup since the Dish Network dish is about $500 cheaper. I have been trying to decide which to get. What tipped the scales to Direct TV for you and others?
I've been with DirecTv since they came out and have always been satisfied. In addition, they offer more channels than DISH. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I haven't checked, but it seems unlikely to me that the same antenna used by both would have that much difference in price. The current price for the DirecTv SK-3005 seems to average about $1,599. Are you saying that the one for DISH is about $1,099? If that is the case and I was buying one today, I'd really have to think about it although I'd probably still go with DirecTv.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

I was at my dealer a couple weeks ago and the Direct TV version was $2,000 and the Dish version was $1,500. Don't know why.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I was at my dealer a couple weeks ago and the Direct TV version was $2,000 and the Dish version was $1,500. Don't know why.
Because it was your DEALER. He will always charge a LOT more for everything than you would pay at other places. Even Camping World is much less expensive.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Some really good installations and ideas here. Not seen the mention of HDMI cables, remember the need of this connection for the best in reception. If there is problem in getting this cable from receiver to TV then the wireless systems work pretty dern good (ex-Brite View). We recently purchased a "new" MH where previous owner had installed a 42" LED in front (was wireless but PO carried that system with him) however it still had old style 2006 TV in bedroom. My wife is big HDTV watcher so we asked dealership to install HD in rear as part of deal. They did a really nice job installing 32" (which was an outside of exsisting TV cabinet "window" installation). They also ran HDMI from mid-coach receiver to front 42" then used wireless for rear. Wireless also has IR so satelitte channels can be changed from bedroom.

The wall mounts seem to make for fairly easy HDTV installations and what a great addition. . even if just using batwing, digital reception is so nice, with lots of channels to view if near a city with local channels.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

My dealer use to be a Camping World but not anymore. Even if it is more expensive, I wonder why one is more than the other? Direct TV weighs more, about 10 lbs.. ??
Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
the Dish Network dish is about $500 cheaper.
Only $300 cheaper at Camping World

Check out the packages from both before you decide.

If you like NASCAR then the Speed channel is a must to have in a package.
DTV may have more HD & 3D programs.

Also if camped in area with trees. DTV at 99/101/103 has a much smaller area to find the satellites then Dish at 110/119/129 spread.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
I picked DISH over DirectTV solely because I have a Winegard RoadTrip Sat. Dish Dome on the roof of my Journey. A Winegard Rep. said that their systems were more compatible, and thus worked better, with DISH receivers. Apparently DISH uses three satellites while DirectTV uses five satellites, or something like that. We are happy with the DISH Sat. Service, but, in my opinion either DISH or DirectTV seem fine based on discussions I have had with other RVers who have DirectTV Service. As a consumer the only difference between the two providers seems to be programming preferences (somewhat different from the two providers) and, of course, the $s.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with a 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
For me, it was a historical decision. Meaning I have been a DirecTV customer for many years. So long that I own my receivers, though they are standard definition. Benefit to me is that I can turn them on and off at will with no contract penalties.

If you are buying new today for your RV, and you won't be using it full time, then I think the Dish Pay-as-you-go program pretty much can't be beat. You buy the satellite receiver and pay on a monthly basis for its usage. Not using it, don't pay for the service.

Yes, the SK-3005 DirecTV HD Trav'ler is more expensive than the comparable Dish Trav'ler automatic satellite dish. The DirecTV dish is a 5 LNB system, which does add to the cost of the dish. Dish is a 3 LNB system. Both are HD compatible.

The decision ends up being based on how you use your motorhome and personal preferences.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 AM   #51
Winnebago Watcher

I went to adventurerv.net and looked up the price on the unit. I then went to my local camping world and asked if I could get the same price and would they install and for what price. They met the price and gave me a good install price. I went with dish because that is what I have at home and so that I could use one of my home receivers.

TV2 output is hooked to the bedroom TV. It has a RF remote so that we can watch the TV as if we were in the living room. Sadly, dish only supports a SD TV2 but that is ok since we only have a SD in the bedroom. If I upgrade to a HD some day I will run an HDMI cable back there off of a splitter. Not sure how I will route it but I'll worry about that when I get to it.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Samsung has a 32" that is 29.8" wide in the 4005 series.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

We'll be fulltime next spring so the Dish pay-as-you-go plan is not for us. Still trying to decide between Dish and Direct. I think I remember reading in a forum that one is better on the coasts because the satellites are higher up. Anyone have knowledge of that?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #54
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We'll be fulltime next spring so the Dish pay-as-you-go plan is not for us. Still trying to decide between Dish and Direct. I think I remember reading in a forum that one is better on the coasts because the satellites are higher up. Anyone have knowledge of that?
DirecTV satellites are higher up on the horizon. If you're full timing, I would prefer DirecTV over Dish. Good channel packages and I think better customer service.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #55
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
Samsung has a 32" that is 29.8" wide in the 4005 series.
Exactly what I'm installing in our DSDP. Just found out today that the roof, where I wanted to mount it, isn't strong enough to support even the 19#'s that it weighs. Going to have to install some bracing from the sides.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote