Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Installing Onan Energy Command 30
Installed on 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37b
Using 18" Wire harness from Onan.
Each wire in the harness is numbered.

Wire
#1 Battery Ground (neg) ---TO Black Wire on Current Gen. Start Switch (center post)
#2 Stop Output ---TO Brown Wire on Current Gen Start Switch (upper post)
#3 Start Output ---TO Yellow wire on Current Gen Start Switch (lower post)
#4 Run Request HVAC ground ---TO Blue wire on Thermostat (-12v)
#5 Switched B+ From Gen ---TO Red wire on Gen hour meter
#6 Gen Status Light ---TO Purple wire on Gen status light on panel (this is same as #5 since status light and hour meter are wired in series.)
#7 Power for controller ---TO Red wire on Thermostat 12v+
#8 House battery sense ---TO Black wire on back of battery condition switch on panel (lower post)
#9 Engine battery sense ---Not used because generator will not charge this battery.
#10 Run Request HVAC #1 ---TO Yellow wire on thermostat (#1 compressor on basement air)
#11 Run Request HVAC #2 <span class="ev_code_RED">not needed</span>
#12 Run Request HVAC #3 ---Not used
#13 AC 110v present Ground ---TO Negative 6 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 1
#14 AC 110v present Positive---TO Positive 6 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 1
#15 Safety input Ground ---Connected to # 4 above (see note 2)
#16 Safety input Positive ---Connected to #7 with momentary switch in line (see note 2)

Note #1 This is optional to detect the presents of shore power. I used a 110v to 12v power/charger adapter like you have for cell phone, battery charger etc. You plug it in to any 110 receptacle in the coach. In the 37b there is a receptacle for the Washer Dryer inside the cabinet right below the power panel.

Note #2 This must be connected to a momentary power source like the ignition, reverse or parking switch of the coach. The system has to see a 12v pulse from time to time or it won't go into auto start mode. Since it is 20 degrees out and snowing here in PA I didn't want to climb around under the coach to hook this up so I cheated. I used the old start/stop switch from the Gen., in line with available 12v + /- and connect it to the positive input of the safety circuit. This is temporary ( I think).

Installing in the 37b was relative easy as virtually every connection was available at the power panel. I think that every Winnebago with the One Place power center and with basement air should be about the same. Because of the weather conditions here in PA, it is not possible to test the HVAC auto start at this time but the system has a very complete self diagnostic circuit that has indicated that all systems are working.

In the pictures you can see I moved my 110v hot water switch to where the old generator switch was and mounted the Energy Command above the One Place panel.

In addition to the instruction for the Energy Command I also used the AC/Heat/EMS wiring diagrams from the Winnebago web site.

I think this is a DIY project on any late model Winnebago although difficulty may very by model.
Any one with question can post them here or email me directly.

go here for pictures

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/9141077431

For those looking for specifications on the EC 30 AGS go here
http://www.onan.com/pdf/rv/F-1521.pdf

Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Installing Onan Energy Command 30
Installed on 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37b
Using 18" Wire harness from Onan.

Wire
#1 Battery Ground (neg) ---TO Black Wire on Current Gen. Start Switch (center post)
#2 Stop Output ---TO Brown Wire on Current Gen Start Switch (upper post)
#3 Start Output ---TO Yellow wire on Current Gen Start Switch (lower post)
#4 Run Request HVAC ground ---TO Blue wire on Thermostat (-12v)
#5 Switched B+ From Gen ---TO Red wire on Gen hour meter
#6 Gen Status Light ---TO Purple wire on Gen status light on panel (this is same as #5 since status light and hour meter are wired in series.)
#7 Power for controller ---TO Red wire on Thermostat 12v+
#8 House battery sense ---TO Black wire on back of battery condition switch on panel (lower post)
#9 Engine battery sense ---Not used because generator will not charge this battery.
#10 Run Request HVAC #1 ---TO Yellow wire on thermostat (#1 compressor on basement air)
#11 Run Request HVAC #2 <span class="ev_code_RED">not needed</span>
#13 AC 110v present Ground ---TO Negative 6 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 1
#14 AC 110v present Positive---TO Positive 6 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 1
#15 Safety input Ground ---Connected to # 4 above (see note 2)
#16 Safety input Positive ---Connected to #7 with momentary switch in line (see note 2)

Note #1 This is optional to detect the presents of shore power. I used a 110v to 12v power/charger adapter like you have for cell phone, battery charger etc. You plug it in to any 110 receptacle in the coach. In the 37b there is a receptacle for the Washer Dryer inside the cabinet right below the power panel.

Note #2 This must be connected to a momentary power source like the ignition, reverse or parking switch of the coach. The system has to see a 12v pulse from time to time or it won't go into auto start mode. Since it is 20 degrees out and snowing here in PA I didn't want to climb around under the coach to hook this up so I cheated. I used the old start/stop switch from the Gen., in line with available 12v + /- and connect it to the positive input of the safety circuit. This is temporary ( I think).

Installing in the 37b was relative easy as virtually every connection was available at the power panel. I think that every Winnebago with the One Place power center and with basement air should be about the same. Because of the weather conditions here in PA, it is not possible to test the HVAC auto start at this time but the system has a very complete self diagnostic circuit that has indicated that all systems are working.

In the pictures you can see I moved my 110v hot water switch to where the old generator switch was and mounted the Energy Command above the One Place panel.

In addition to the instruction for the Energy Command I also used the AC/Heat/EMS wiring diagrams from the Winnebago web site.

I think this is a DIY project on any late model Winnebago although difficulty may very by model.
Any one with question can post them here or email me directly.

go here for pictures

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/9141077431

For those looking for specifications on the EC 30 AGS go here
http://www.onan.com/pdf/rv/F-1521.pdf

Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bill,
Very nice write-up and pictures. I've been thinking of doing the same. Glad I don't have to be first.

From reading about the wiring of the unit, it appeared to me that most everything you need is right there at the one-place. Glad you verified that.

The only difference I might have is my 2KW inverter that powers most of the a/c receptacles. So, in your note #1, I would have to make sure to use a receptacle that's not powered by the inverter.

Thanks much for the excellent documentation. Posts like this is what makes this forum head and shoulders above the others...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the write up!

I'm even thinking about it more now though, one more job to do.

Great placement of the water heater switch. As I looked at mine I realized the the control panel wouldn't fit wher ethe old one is, but didn't think beyond that. Now I don't have to.

One question.

What was your total parts cost? I think I heard like $218 for the Energy Command 30? Is that close?

Tim.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I ordered it from Funroads which I think is the e-com store for Onan.
EC30 AGS $200
18" wire harness was $24.61
Shipping 6.39
total $230.00
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-13-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I echo everyone else's thoughts, Thanks for the writeup. 2 weeks ago I posted the question about the Energy 30 and was told it was a $1,000 install. Think of the money you could make. Would you post the dimensions of the head unit so I can look for space. I have a 2004 Horizon AD. The energy control panel has 2 switches at the top LP on/off and the Gen switch. I need to look for space.
Thanks again,
John Bennett
[email protected]
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Bill,

Nice writeup and pictures. I like seeing folks DIY projects. I'm sure you've saved some others some cash by enabling them to do the install themself.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Some people trick out their cars. For me it's the Winnebago. I enjoy enhancing my life on the road everyway I can. If I can help others with these projects, so much the better. Thanks for the recognition.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Bill,
Thanks again, your efforts are appreciated. I agree with you completly, I have switched from playing with Jeeps and Dirt Bikes to playing with my Horizon. We must have our toys. I just can't decide if I want to do the Auto Start first or upgrade to the See Level II tank monitor system. Decisions, decisions.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If finally warmed up enough today to try the energy command ags. I turned on every 12v appliance in it and waited. After about an hour it kicked the generator on as the batteries ran down. Next I tried the AC. At first it didn't want to react to the thermostat. I wasn't sure why so I tried different things. I took the ags lead off of the 2nd compressor lead on the thermostat. Now it seems to be working. It started the generator as the thermostat called for AC. I turned up the thermostat until the AC turned off and in about a minute it turned off the generator by itself. I think I'm going to like this gadget.
If anyone printed the directions that I had posted earlier I changed them today.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

ONAN typically does not participate in RV forums. This installation was brought to our attention and was asked to review this installation.

One area of concern is the bypassing of the Safety Input.

Carbon Monoxide is deadly.

The EC-30 requires a Safety Input to prevent the Genset from unexpected automatic starting after the vehicle has been parked. The Safety input may be supplied from different sources depending on the application.

The Safety Input must change state when the vehicle is parked. This prevents automatic operation if the vehicle is parked in a garage or other enclosed space. For example the vehicle ignition switch changes state from on to off when vehicle is parked.

See the Operation and Installation Manual for specific details for connecting the Safety Input.

Also, included with each EC-30 is a sheet of AGS (Automatic Genset Starting) Warning labels. These need to be installed at the location called out in the Manual. These Warning labels inform owners and service technicians that an AGS system is installed.

The EC-30 needs to be wired correctly for the best possible performance. This does vary from coach to coach and products installed at the OEM (i.e. air conditioners). By following the wire connections defined here will provide the best performance for this installation.

Onan 5.5k Marquis Gold
Installing Onan Energy Command 30 (PN 018-02030)
Installed on 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
Using 18" Wire harness from Onan. (PN 044-0007)
Reference Figure 6 for Gas/LP connections (Operation & Installation Manual)
Wire numbers are referenced to the EC-30.

Genset Wiring
#1 Battery Ground (neg) --- TO Black Wire on Current Gen. Start Switch (center post).
#2 Stop Output --- TO Brown Wire on Current Gen Start Switch (upper post).
#3 Start Output --- TO Yellow wire on Current Gen Start Switch (lower post).
#5 Switched B+ From Gen --- TO Red wire on Gen hour meter (Note 1).
#6 Gen Status Light --- This signal must be run from the Genset to the EC-30 (Note 1).

EC- 30 Power and Battery Monitoring
#7 Power for EC-30 --- TO Red wire on Thermostat 12v+
#8 House Battery Sense --- This connection needs to be made at the battery or as close to the battery as possible for the most accurate battery voltage reading. Connecting at this location will provide better system performance for low battery starting.
#9 Engine battery sense --- Optional - If you are taking the time to run the line to the House Battery, why not install a wire for the engine battery.

HVAC Connections (Coleman Mack, True Air, basement AC)
#4 Run Request HVAC ground ---Not used
#10 Run Request HVAC #1 ---TO Yellow wire on thermostat (see Coleman Mack, True Air information for proper connections)
#11 Run Request HVAC #2 --- Not used

Shore Sense
#13 AC 110v present Ground ---TO Negative 6 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 2)
#14 AC 110v present Positive---TO Positive 6 12 volt on power adapter (Optional See note 2)

Safety Input
#15 Safety input Ground ---Connected to ground (Note 3)
#16 Safety input Positive ---Connected to ignition switch at the dash (Note 3)

Note #1
These signals are for the Hour Meter and Status Light.
The EC-30 will not function properly if these two signals are tied together.

#5 Switched B+ From Gen ---This provides power to the Hour meter
#6 Gen Status Light ---This provides the flashing light for Genset Diagnostics (Fault Codes).

To determine if this signal is provided at the Remote Start/Stop switch, press the Stop Switch 3 times. If the light flashes, the signal is present.

If the Status Light does not flash this signal must be run from the Genset to the EC-30 control.

The EC-30 takes the flashing light and converts it to a short text message. This will give you the Fault Number and a two word description of the fault

Note #2
The Shore Sense is optional.
Shore Sense not installed: If the coach is plugged into shore, and the AGS is ON, the Genset would start upon a HVAC requested. If the AGS is set to Manual, the Genset will not start when connected to shore power.

Shore Sense is installed: If the coach is plugged into shore, and the AGS is ON, the Genset will not start upon a HVAC requested. If the AGS is set to Manual, the Genset will not start when connected to shore power.

When connecting Shore Sense a 110v to 12v power adapter will work (see installation manual for other options). Plug the adaptor in to any 110 receptacle in the coach. In the 37B there is a receptacle for the Washer Dryer inside the cabinet right below the power panel.

If your coach has an Inverter/Charger find an AC source that is not powered by the inverter/charger.

Note #3
Safety Input must be connected to a momentary power source like the ignition, reverse or parking switch of the coach. This will turn off the AGS feature when the coach is moved. The system has to see a 12v signal from time to time or it won't go into auto start mode. A good source would be when the ignition is turned on from an in dash circuit. This is to prevent accidental starts in a confined space i.e. pole barn, service center. This is for the safety on the user and for any repair center personnel.

Coleman Mack, True Air (Basement Unit)

RVP-Air Conditioners
Basement Mounted EC-30 HVAC Connections

Control...........&lt;yellow&gt; Pin #5............Air Conditioner
Note: &lt;Yellow Wire&gt; Pin #5 Connects to EC-30 pin #10 Between the Control and the Air Conditioner

RVP Thermostat
This control provides a +12VDC signal when HVAC is required.
*Tap into yellow wire for the AC singnal (PIn 5).
*Connect Pin 5 to EC-30 HVAC #1 (pin 10).

NOTE:
Wires running from Thermostat to the Basement Unit must be connected as follows.
* At the thermostat jumper pin 1 and pin 3 together.
* At the Basement Unit jumper pin 1 and pin 3 together.
* No changes to other wires.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{I regret I wasn't able to post the image in the drawing BUT if this message directly affects you, write me an e-mail and I will send you the drawing and picture of the modular plug configuration.}

I would like to thank engineering from Onan/Cummins who provided us with this wiring proceedure.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Driver
Thank you for posting this great detailed instructions from Onan. I'm glad Onan took an interest in this project. I will be going back and reviewing what I did. All but one wire seems to agree with what I had listed. As expected the first paragraphs relate to safety notices and concerns but I'm sure the is built into their normal SOP by their corporate attorneys.
As posts like these seem to fade with time I hope that Onan makes these instructions more readily available either on their web site or packaged in the unit. Prior to taking on this project, much that I read and heard was that it was primarily a job to be done at the time of building the coach and it was not considered a DIY project. Now that we have witnessed that it is not that big of a job, especially in coaches that have the Basement AC, maybe more people will be interested in this as a DIY project. Onan should sell more of these as it is really a great addition to any class A motor home.
I do intend to connect the safety leads to the Iqnition as suggested in the post. The weather was just to cold at the time of installation to be crawling around under the MH running wires up to the dash.

Bill Smith

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hi All,
I have been in touch with my local Cummins dealer and he tells me that the part numbers listed in the Acrobat file EC-30_F-1521.PDF are not valid and don't seem to be Cummins part numbers. Does any one know what the order numbers are and a name and address of someone that can supply me with an EC-30? I get no where with the Onan web site as far as who to place an order with or how to place an order.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You can order from your local Onan generator dealer or you can order on the web from www.funroads.com. Price is about the same.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hey bsmith8'
Seems like I've been all over www.funroads.com and short of registering, I find no EC-30 for sale. Even a search only finds reference to the .PDF file and a couple of forum postings. My local Cummins dealer is my Onan dealer and they seem to be in the dark over this. Any suggestions? Or maybe a direct link to a web page would be great.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

MARK
When I ordered I did it the old fashion way. I had to do it by phone. I called 1-800-888-6626 and asked for the parts department. They took my order over the phone. I refered to the PDF for the part numbers. You should probably verify that they have stock.
I hope this helps.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 04-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Thanks Bill,
I'll try this right now!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Got it! Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Can I ask what you guys paid? $200ish, right?

Thanks,
Tim

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

$240.00 and I still need to get the connector. My Cummins dealer wasn't up for a discount. A bit busy so it'll take me a week or two to get it installed. I need to re-machine a panel that I installed two remote water meter readouts into (got sick and tired of not knowing exactly how much water was in each tank, problem solved).